Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

Some latest developments in the attractions area:

1.  Hollywood Garage & restaurants/ Mango's:  it looks like they are moving forward with site work/ utilities since the initial demolition of the old Walgreen's.

2.  Top Golf: u/c

3.  Andretti Racing: u/c

4.  Some attraction just north of Wonderworks: u/c

5.  CVS (across Pointe Orlando): u/c

6.  Hyatt skywalk to West Bldg: u/c

7.  Megastrom Bldg #2+: should be u/c after article two weeks back

8.  Grand National overpass: u/c

9.  Kirkman Rd. Interchange: u/c

10.  Westgate Resorts- Turkey Lake Rd: 2 new bldgs south of complex: u/c

11.  Holiday Inn Express & Suites and TownePlace Suites by Marriott (I-Drive & CFLA Pkwy): u/c; u/c

12.  Staybridge Suites, Other Hotel at Westwood & CFLA Pkwy: u/c; u/c

13.  Volcano Bay: u/c

14.  Cabana Bay Resort Towers 1 & 2 (12 stories each): u/c; u/c

15.  Apartment Community next to Integra Cove/ Westwood Blvd: u/c

16.  Apartment/Other Community (Lake St./Darrel Carter): u/c

17.  other...

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 2

^^

Oh, they are redoing it completely.  The Lexus lanes are also u/c beyond the Kirkman interchange and extend well into the Universal Blvd. overpass.

So, Kirkman Road's new northbound lanes have been opened for two weeks now.  Grand National overpass is also u/c just to the north of there.  The pilings are in position to be hammered.

^^

wait until the Universal Aventura hotel tower gets underway next to Sapphire Falls.  That will be noticeably taller than the Cabana Bay towers.

...and I'm sure when Universal redevelops Wet n Wild, it will be somewhat of a high rise and will also be visible from I-4 on the other side.  And it the Solis hotel project gets built, that would have the most visual impact on the I-Drive skyline.

Aventura Hotel will be directly east of Cabana Bay and will be 16 stories tall.  That area will look a lot different when this is all done in the next 2 years!  Going to be a little skyline itself if the taller projects like I-Square and the Skyplex actually get built.

Edited by dcluley98

On 11/30/2016 at 6:41 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Yeah the Kirkman interchange is one of the biggest projects of the entire project except for the 408 interchange.

It may be my personal bias from exclusively commuting on I-4 between Downtown and Sanford, but I would argue that the Maitland Blvd interchange is the second largest of the project after the 408 interchange. It's going to be a signal-less interchange, plus extensive reconstruction of Maitland Blvd west of I-4 into an almost grade-separated freeway, FDOT is getting rid of a bunch of traffic lights on Maitland and elevating it like what was done for 436/17-92 intersection. I would place Kirkman at number three.

Edited by metal93
Formatting

45 minutes ago, metal93 said:

It may be my personal bias from exclusively commuting on I-4 between Downtown and Sanford, but I would argue that the Maitland Blvd interchange is the second largest of the project after the 408 interchange. It's going to be a signal-less interchange, plus extensive reconstruction of Maitland Blvd west of I-4 into an almost grade-separated freeway, FDOT is getting rid of a bunch of traffic lights on Maitland and elevating it like what was done for 436/17-92 intersection. I would place Kirkman at number three.

I agree.  Maitland Blvd, west of I-4, will be grade separated until it passes 434.  I think there are only 3 intersections past that before it separates again and enters the tolled portion. I think this will speed up traffic flow substantially in the area.

I think the feature of the new Kirkman interchange that will be most impactful is the express lane access from Grand National. It gives an entirely new route to the area.

Nothing officially announced, but there were several rumors that they would try to build a high end mixed use shopping/dining/entertainment area similar to Disney Springs.  Not sure how that would work with the saturation of the area, but that was speculated in several news articles such as this OBJ article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/10/universal-orlando-s-rumored-plans-for-wet-n-wild.html

On 11/30/2016 at 6:45 PM, dcluley98 said:

The Volcano and Cabana Bay towers look quite impressive when driving up I-4 right now.  It is a bit distracting trying to look at what is going on over there with the I-4 work and lane shifts around the area that make people drive erratically, lol.

Oddly enough, its starting to resemble the experience of driving past Disneyland on the 5, with the Matterhorn peering over your shoulder. So canny is the resemblance that I often wonder if Universal had this in mind as it designed the Volcano Bay park.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Oddly enough, its starting to resemble the experience of driving past Disneyland on the 5, with the Matterhorn peering over your shoulder. So canny is the resemblance that I often wonder if Universal had this in mind as it designed the Volcano Bay park.

It makes a bold statement that it can clearly be seen from I-4, and the Turnpike, especially in an area that's often congested and slowed down. Universal can potentially attract tourists away from Disney with this new eye candy, to the chagrin of Disney being mostly not visible from I-4. It couldn't be helped anyways as Universal is building out their entire property up against the edge of I-4.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:33 PM, JFW657 said:

Shame.

Because that would be a great location for another Gator zoo attraction.

We need another one.

Gatorland, which under FFO family the Godwins has done the gator attraction business better than just about anyone over the last 60 years (and survived the coming of Disney unlike larger competitors such as Cypress Gardens and Silver Springs), has made a wise strategic move on to I-Drive, I think, by partnering with Fun Spot at "Gator Spot." They seem to have that market covered.

For anyone who appreciates central FL nature and bridges (in the same setting), do check out the recently opened Shingle Creek regional trail in Kissimmee. For a tourism cooridor that has been in decline for a decade, this is a very welcome addition to US192. Along with the recently renovated Lake Toho lakefront park (that has seen a 200% increase in use since completed) Kissimmee seems to be turning a new leaf by focusing on long-term investments in the community.

It's really amazing the transformation of Osceola County in the last few years. What was long one of the region's most backward thinking, bubbacentric counties is now one of its most progressive.

Along those lines, there were reports this week by Mayors Buddy and Teresa regarding the latest solid performance of the tourist tax. Given this was a gap year without major new attractions at WDW and Universal, it bodes well for the next few years as big theme park attractions come online. Whether you agree with the dedicated allocation of the tax or not, the investments in venue infrastructure seem to be paying dividends.

The strength in tourism locally also indicates that the post-Harry Potter resurgence of the Orlando market has delivered us from the early 2000s cash cow status in comparison to other international parks. Also, thanks to Michael Eisner for ticking off Steve Burke and sending him into Comcast's waiting arms, thus finally making Uni a powerful #2.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Funny story about supposedly more hotels and another water park near Disney. . . . Smells like some sales malarkey to me, but nonetheless, funny:

South Florida developer plans three new Disney West-side hotels
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-ab1-global-disney-west-side-hotels-20161205-story.html 

"South Florida developer is planning three new hotels. . . talking to “upper middle-scale” brands. . . There will be a restaurant probably in one or two of them. . . . plan is for a significant water park, possibly one large enough to be open to the public also. . ."

"According to county records, part of the property is submerged and part is 'waste land' or a borrow pit that was used for quarry activities."

I think we have reached the bubble territory for the theme park area, LOL. :tw_grin: :tw_bawling: :tw_grin: :tw_bawling: :tw_grin: :tw_bawling:

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

^^

I love this.  This will be a fantastic addition to I-Drive in that immediate neighborhood.  It will cut the distance between tall structures in half between Rosen Plaza and the Coca Cola Orlando Eye (no, I'm not receiving a kickback).  And it will probably influence design on new future projects like the Wyndham redo on the other side of the Eye (replacing two-story bldgs with taller towers).  It will also be cool to look at a 20+ story building u/c from the Eye which will only be a few short blocks' distance away.