Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

^^

LOL!  So, a pile of dirt is half completed.  I guess the finished product for the Hollywood garage will be, a pile of dirt twice as tall?

^^

Moving on to developers who actually have $$$, Unicorp at I-Drive 360 is building out a new parcel on the southwest quad of the project that's been just grass and multi-function space, bordering the entrance off of I-Drive.  I forgot, but does anyone remember what's going here?  It's not the helicopter attraction b/c they were supposed to go on the roof of their garage (unless plans changed).

On February 20, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Boomer136 said:

For those in Orlando who are not tied exclusively to either organization, it's all win, win, win. When tourists are debating which park to go to in Orlando versus which city should we go to, that's a conversation I would love to hear over and over...

I agree 100%.  I just think it's an indicator that what Universal is doing is being "felt" by WDW, which "motivates" them to respond with $$$, and reinforces more investment by Universal to keep at it.

• Like 1

Orlando Weekly with a good report on the situation at Artegon.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/after-the-dramatic-shutdown-of-orlandos-artegon-anti-mall-the-artists-and-vendors-wonder-how-it-all-went-wrong/Content?oid=2692097&showFullText=true

The Wentzells couldn't provide a copy of their contract due to their traveling schedule, but another Artegon contract OW obtained says Artegon was a shopping center that was "undergoing redevelopment," and that if the owners decided not to continue the mall's redevelopment, Artegon could terminate anyone's lease or license via a written notice. The contract says the licensee would have no right to recover any costs or damages from Artegon. Multiple vendors from Artegon say each of their contracts were slightly different, though all of them mentioned a similar policy. Some of Artegon's contracts also differentiate between "licenses" and "leases."

Yikes at signing that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The owners of that place sound like real scum. It's a shame there are so many people like that in the business world. People like that unfairly give all business people a bad name. 

I don't think many real estate people would end up on any nice list unfortunately. 

In hindsight it certainly feels like they always had one foot out the door ready to sell this property asap.

20 hours ago, tc01 said:

So, the Skydive attraction at I-Drive & Universal is literally building another location adjacent to Wonderworks.  When that opens, their original location will shut down.

This construction is on the northern end of that big grass area, close to YardHouse, not at the corner with Via Mercado/ Austrian Ct.

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

The owners of that place sound like real scum. It's a shame there are so many people like that in the business world. People like that unfairly give all business people a bad name. 

Scum?  Last I checked Artegon not only gave these businesses space to rent, they also redeveloped the interior yet again with themed storefronts to help these businesses out.  There's no law that says they have to keep Artegon the mall it currently is.  The tenants went into their contracts knowing full well the risks.  But because they would have never expected this day to come- that falls on them, not Artegon.  It was a gamble.  The probability was high they would be in there for many many years b/c of the mall's history.  A very low probability someone else would come along and buy it.  There's no moral equation here.  This isn't communism and Artegon isn't a commune.  It's a business.  Or would you be happier if the State purchased it and had taxpayers' money used to keep it open for these businesses to survive there?

I'm as disappointed as the next guy that Artegon is closing, but to call their owners "scum" because some company, like perhaps Universal, came by and stroked them a big check is wrong.  These owners didn't purchase the failing Festival Bay for philanthropic reasons.  They did it to make money.  It obviously wasn't making that much money if any at all.

That's the typical employer/employee attitude.  Employees never appreciate the fact that an employer is actually getting paid a little less to employ them.  Same situation here.  These businesses should be grateful that they got the opportunity to have a storefront for as long as they did.  And people seeing this need to understand this.  This is the real world.

Do you even realize that even within "fake" worlds, like WDW, that every individual "business" within each theme park has to be able to sustain itself or they shut it down?  Did you know that?  The theme park doesn't cover the expenses of failing portions of it.  They just shut it down and build something new that sells.  It's economics.  Just look at EPCOT.  Every pavilion has a major corporate sponsor.  The Citrus Bowl has Camping World.  The Speedway has 5 major gate sponsors.  That's how this works.

I wouldn't be surprised if Artegon floated some of the tenants because business was bad.  I saw some of the vendors in there, and their products were crap.  You need to sell what people want to buy.  Artegon was just like that park in NOLA where all these artists and artisans set up shop and sell stuff.  Except there, they are doing it on City property and don't pay rent.  That was never the case with Artegon.

And, no, I do not work for Artegon.  But I understand what went down and why.  It doesn't mean I like it.  It just is what it is.

• Like 3

It's just business. The tenants should have known the risks they were taking and prepared adequately. I mean, it's unfortunate they got shafted because the unexpected happened - Artegon was bought out sooner rather than later, but they signed those contracts and should have known something like this could happen in the future. That can't really complain if they didn't read carefully through the fine print. As morally dubious as they can be, a contract is a contract after all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So, the Skydive attraction at I-Drive & Universal is literally building another location adjacent to Wonderworks.  When that opens, their original location will shut down.

This construction is on the northern end of that big grass area, close to YardHouse, not at the corner with Via Mercado/ Austrian Ct.

Just so everyone is on the same page, the link above is a new development from Inflight Dubai going to I-drive 360. iFLY is also re-locating to I-drive next to Wonderworks. There are going to be TWO indoor skydiving facilities 1 mile apart:

http://www.indoorskydivingsource.com/news/ifly-orlando-to-close-new-facility-to-open-in-2017/

Orlando, and I-Drive specifically has been busy with indoor skydiving announcements as of late. Also announced this week were more details on another 14 foot single sided recirculating wind tunnel. This tunnel is not an iFLY tunnel however and instead is being built by new Dubai-based wind tunnel manufacturer Extreme Flight. This location is called Extreme Flight Orlando and the project site sits only 1 mile away from the new iFLY Orlando location.

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 1

I think the new iFLY is going to have sidewalk level viewing or something like that. 

^^

This confused me for the longest time, about these two indoor skydiving complexes being built virtually simultaneously, and the old one shutting down.  If the market can absord it, then, more power to them.

So, add to the list of these two skydiving projects u/c in the I-Drive area, Andretti Racing and TopGolf. 

19 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I don't think many real estate people would end up on any nice list unfortunately. 

In hindsight it certainly feels like they always had one foot out the door ready to sell this property asap.

Real Estate is like every other business. Some are good, some are bad, a whole bunch are just average. Nevertheless, this is exhibit a of why you should read any contract that you sign. 

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Scum?  Last I checked Artegon not only gave these businesses space to rent, they also redeveloped the interior yet again with themed storefronts to help these businesses out.  There's no law that says they have to keep Artegon the mall it currently is.  The tenants went into their contracts knowing full well the risks.  But because they would have never expected this day to come- that falls on them, not Artegon.  It was a gamble.  The probability was high they would be in there for many many years b/c of the mall's history.  A very low probability someone else would come along and buy it.  There's no moral equation here.  This isn't communism and Artegon isn't a commune.  It's a business.  Or would you be happier if the State purchased it and had taxpayers' money used to keep it open for these businesses to survive there?

I'm as disappointed as the next guy that Artegon is closing, but to call their owners "scum" because some company, like perhaps Universal, came by and stroked them a big check is wrong.  These owners didn't purchase the failing Festival Bay for philanthropic reasons.  They did it to make money.  It obviously wasn't making that much money if any at all.

That's the typical employer/employee attitude.  Employees never appreciate the fact that an employer is actually getting paid a little less to employ them.  Same situation here.  These businesses should be grateful that they got the opportunity to have a storefront for as long as they did.  And people seeing this need to understand this.  This is the real world.

Do you even realize that even within "fake" worlds, like WDW, that every individual "business" within each theme park has to be able to sustain itself or they shut it down?  Did you know that?  The theme park doesn't cover the expenses of failing portions of it.  They just shut it down and build something new that sells.  It's economics.  Just look at EPCOT.  Every pavilion has a major corporate sponsor.  The Citrus Bowl has Camping World.  The Speedway has 5 major gate sponsors.  That's how this works.

I wouldn't be surprised if Artegon floated some of the tenants because business was bad.  I saw some of the vendors in there, and their products were crap.  You need to sell what people want to buy.  Artegon was just like that park in NOLA where all these artists and artisans set up shop and sell stuff.  Except there, they are doing it on City property and don't pay rent.  That was never the case with Artegon.

And, no, I do not work for Artegon.  But I understand what went down and why.  It doesn't mean I like it.  It just is what it is.

To take even more money from these small business people, let them invest even more into upgrades and open up new businesses etc, as they acted like everything was going along just fine, all the while knowing that they were about to shut the place down and terminate the leases, is scummy, dishonest behavior the way I see it. If they did it to you, would you be as magnanimous towards them? Feel free to disagree with my opinion, but I don't need a lecture about the way business works.

^^

I was under the impression that Artegon themselves paid for the renovations to the interior retail units for their tenants.  In fact, I'm pretty sure OBJ reported just that back when they did it b/c the mall was being overhauled again, and I think they were doing it in phases.  They started with cages, when Artegon first bought and renovated Festival Bay, but upgraded the retail parlors like a year into it.  So I am pretty sure Artegon paid for that renovation and not the other way around.

So...what exactly did the retailers actually pay for?  Maybe Gods and Monsters paid for some stuff but I don't think anyone else really did as far as the parlors went.

But, as I already said, I was not happy about them shutting down.  Also, I do not know the terms of their leases either.  So, with those unknowns, we can all draw conclusions on their business practices without actually knowing all the facts.

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

I was under the impression that Artegon themselves paid for the renovations to the interior retail units for their tenants.  In fact, I'm pretty sure OBJ reported just that back when they did it b/c the mall was being overhauled again, and I think they were doing it in phases.  They started with cages, when Artegon first bought and renovated Festival Bay, but upgraded the retail parlors like a year into it.  So I am pretty sure Artegon paid for that renovation and not the other way around.

So...what exactly did the retailers actually pay for?  Maybe Gods and Monsters paid for some stuff but I don't think anyone else really did as far as the parlors went.

But, as I already said, I was not happy about them shutting down.  Also, I do not know the terms of their leases either.  So, with those unknowns, we can all draw conclusions on their business practices without actually knowing all the facts.

It is standard to get tenant improvement money from your landlord but it never covers everything. Usually covers between 20-40%. You had places like that zombie shooter place that were about to open that were told nothing to worry about as they put like a million into their space. Those people got screwed but also makes me wonder how they ever got the money to open without knowing how to read a basic contract.

3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

It is standard to get tenant improvement money from your landlord but it never covers everything. Usually covers between 20-40%. You had places like that zombie shooter place that were about to open that were told nothing to worry about as they put like a million into their space. Those people got screwed but also makes me wonder how they ever got the money to open without knowing how to read a basic contract.

Now, I totally agree with you on that.  I didn't know about that one.

Ok, so here is the latest update on what's going on in the I-Drive corridor (from Millenia Mall to the Premium Outlets):

1.  TopGolf- u/c

2.  Andretti Racing- u/c

3.  iFLY- u/c (and closing old location)

4.  Extreme Flight Orlando - u/c (at I-Drive 360)

5.  Hollywood Garage/ Circo, etc.- u/c (at Mango's)

6.  Wet n Wild- slow demolition for future Universal project

7.  Megastrom Office #2- u/c

8.  CVS/ (Ming Court)- recently opened

9.  Del Frisco's- recently opened

10.  Artegon Marketplace- recently sold/ to be repurposed

11.  Hotel- u/c - behind Hash House A Go Go; delayed 6 mos ago.

12.  Lexus Dealership- u/c on former site of Delta Resort/ Citymark proposal; Sales bldg, parking deck, Maint; retention pond.

13.  Hotel- u/c on Major Blvd near Vineland

14.  Hotel- u/c off of Kirkman near Holiday Inn & I-4

15.  Kirkman Interchange- u/c

16.  Grand National Overpass- u/c

17. Doubletree- expansion? u/c (I-Drive & Westwood)

18.  Apartment south of Integra Cove-  expansion (Phase II)- CFLA Pkwy & Westwood

19.  Hampton Inn - u/c/ recently opened (behind Bonefish)- CFLA Pkwy & Westwood & Sea Harbor)

20.  Homewood Suites- u/c / recently opened (behind CVS)- CFLA Pkwy & Westwood & Sea Harbor)

21.  Staybridge Suites - u/c (behind 7 Eleven)- CFLA Pkwy & Westwood & Sea Harbor)

21.  Hotel/Timeshare No. 1 (behind Mellow Mushroom) - u/c - I-Drive & CFLA Pkwy

22.  Hotel/Timeshare No. 2 (behind Panera) - u/c - I-Drive & CFLA Pkwy

23.  Applebee's- u/c (CFLA Pkwy & I-Drive)

24. SR 528- Widening- I-4 to east (?)

25. I-Drive (widening- SR 528 to Westwood South)

26.  Hotel/Apt? - u/c Daryl Carter & Lake St.

27.  Development- adjacent to Westgate Leisure Resort- u/c Westwood Blvd.

28.  Development- south of Intl Golf Club Rd/ Avenida Vista- u/c I-Drive

29.  Hotel- u/c - Lake St. & Palm Pkwy

30.  Residential Development- u/c - Lake Ruby- Palm Pkwy

31.  Millenia Lakes (Apts.)- u/c- latest phase (Millennia Blvd- north of Oakridge)

32.  Millenia 700- 2nd phase of Estates at Millenia- u/c

33.  Marriott/ Dual Branded (PRISA Group) - u/c- Millenia Mall - Millenia Lakes Blvd.

34.  Millenia Gardens- residential- u/c - Millenia Blvd.

35.  Acedemy Sports/ Costco/ Hobby Lobby- u/c recently opened - Millenia Blvd.

36.  M North - recently opened - Millenia Blvd. & JYP

37.  Universal's Volcano Bay - u/c

38.  Cabana Bay Resort expansion (two 12 story towers; parking deck) u/c

39.  Aventura Resort - u/c (Universal property)

40.  Jimmy Fallon's Race Thru New York - u/c opening soon (Universal)

41.  Fast & Furious - u/c (Universal)

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 2

Very excited about this project. Tenants are getting leaked and it looks good. Finally a Cheddars on this side of town along with Cheesecake Factory and Total Wine. No longer do I need to schlep to Millennia. Also, hidden in the article is a nugget of information about another big commercial development just north on palm parkway....... anybody know what that is? 

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/03/06/the-orlando-tourist-district-is-about-to-get-a-huge-new-shopping-center-and-possibly-a-new-i-4-interchange

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shardoon said:

Very excited about this project. Tenants are getting leaked and it looks good. Finally a Cheddars on this side of town along with Cheesecake Factory and Total Wine. No longer do I need to schlep to Millennia. Also, hidden in the article is a nugget of information about another big commercial development just north on palm parkway....... anybody know what that is? 

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/03/06/the-orlando-tourist-district-is-about-to-get-a-huge-new-shopping-center-and-possibly-a-new-i-4-interchange

I'm personally shocked this is going through.  Until that I4 interchange is built, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to get to.  Vineland is so backed up perpetually.  You pretty much have to go 4 to 535 past Crossroads to Palm and loop all the way back around to Fenton (I refuse to call it Daryl Carter Pkwy.  Self-serving bs naming if I've ever seen it.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The article refers to it as a "huge new shopping center".

Based on the conceptual plan they're showing, it doesn't look that huge to me.

Just looks like yet another strip center.

Meh.

I care less about this design and more about the tenants moving in :) 

Call it selfish and self serving lol 

2 minutes ago, shardoon said:

I care less about this design and more about the tenants moving in :) 

Call it selfish and self serving lol 

I gathered from your post that you were excited about the businesses going in.

Nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

I was just commenting on the way the headline kind of overstated the size and scope of it.

And how it looks like just another average sized strip shopping center.