Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Here is my assessment:

I'm excited about it.  Too bad it isn't situated more so like Fowler's Grove, or even more like a mall, but, whatever, it's what they do.

They really do need to make "Fenton" into an interchange.  I wouldn't be surprised if the County tries to do a deal with the developer to pay for a portion of it. 

535 is a nightmare.  if they make an interchange at Fenton, that, in and of itself, will alleviate so much traffic at 535.  They can do signage for the Outlets as the exit to use instead of 535. 

If I was coming up from Kiss along 535, I would take it to 536 and go to I-Drive, and take that up to Fenton.  That's what I usually do now when needed.  I hate going to the intersection on 535 that takes you to the Outlets. 

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

Well, that 535 exit is eventually going to be reworked as well. Current plans are on the books to condemn all of Crossroads and make it one big interchange leading right into Disney via hotel plaza blvd.

Wow.  Really?  so many issues with that.  Eminent domain, etc. 

• Like 1

That sounds like the "Phase 2" of I-4 Ultimate - extend the toll lanes to Disney and beyond, with direct ramps into an extension of Hotel Plaza Blvd where Crossroads currently exists. It makes sense, but it would have many issues. I don't really see the reasoning of tearing down all of Crossroads though unless something better was built in its place. I imagine the standalone restaurants would stay though.

Also I don't know if it's Disney's influence preventing this, but there should be more I-4 ramps at Central Florida Parkway, Daryl Carter/Fenton, and right at the entrance of the Premium Outlets - aside from Disney a huge amount of traffic is heading here. The current setup of funneling all the traffic in this area onto Apopka Vineland is just too congested.

Edited by metal93

I thought Disney owned Crossroads. It served a purpose back in the early '90s while Disney was lurching seemingly rudderless with the Village/Pleasure Island experimentation. Plus the line up of Garcia's Pebbles, a Jungle Jim's anchored by the closest grocery store, it could also sport successful retail. But now? My younger single self salutes the memories of great evenings starting and passing through Crossroads. 

There was an article a few months ago about how a study recommended getting rid of Crossroads to change the exit.  I can't find the free one, but here's the growthspotter.  http://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-fdot-planning-for-costly-relocations-of-disney-area-restaurants-due-to-i-4-widening-20161103-story.html

And yes, FDOT conditionally approved the exit at Fenton and the bridge was built to accommodate the interchange to ease the burden off of 535, but I haven't heard any plans of movement on that until BTU happens.

7 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If I was coming up from Kiss along 535, I would take it to 536 and go to I-Drive, and take that up to Fenton.  That's what I usually do now when needed.  I hate going to the intersection on 535 that takes you to the Outlets. 

Even though I used to work in Celebration, I always forget people live that direction!  #downtownproblems  But yeah, that isn't too bad from I4 East.  And I suppose Davenport and such are part of who they're attracting in addition to tourists.

1 hour ago, Boomer136 said:

I thought Disney owned Crossroads.

Nah, built then deannexed.  SOP for Disney Real Estate.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, metal93 said:

That sounds like the "Phase 2" of I-4 Ultimate - extend the toll lanes to Disney and beyond, with direct ramps into an extension of Hotel Plaza Blvd where Crossroads currently exists. It makes sense, but it would have many issues. I don't really see the reasoning of tearing down all of Crossroads though unless something better was built in its place. I imagine the standalone restaurants would stay though.

Also I don't know if it's Disney's influence preventing this, but there should be more I-4 ramps at Central Florida Parkway, Daryl Carter/Fenton, and right at the entrance of the Premium Outlets - aside from Disney a huge amount of traffic is heading here. The current setup of funneling all the traffic in this area onto Apopka Vineland is just too congested.

Something "better"  IE Stormwater ponds.  Also don't get too attached to the Lake Buena Vista Twin Peaks.

http://www.i4express.com/Seg1Docs/SEGMENT1_SR535_RECOMMENDED.pdf

For poops and giggles here's Fenton.  

http://www.i4express.com/Seg1Docs/SEGMENT1_DARYL_CARTER_PKWY_RECOMMENDED.pdf

Btw, they've been teasing Dr. Phillips with an interchange there and a roadway to Apopka Vineland since 1997 and it hasn't happened.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Something "better"  IE Stormwater ponds.  Also don't get too attached to the Lake Buena Vista Twin Peaks.

http://www.i4express.com/Seg1Docs/SEGMENT1_SR535_RECOMMENDED.pdf

Btw, they've been teasing Dr. Phillips with an interchange there and a roadway to Apopka Vineland since 1997 and it hasn't happened.

Just what we need in such a prime location, water retention!

I'm no civil engineer but that interchange they have planned for 535 looks like it could have been done better and more space efficient, but FDOT appears to be bent on making roads into quasi-highways.

9 hours ago, codypet said:

Ooo... a diverging diamond!  (I may be the only urban fan that's also a highway fan)

• Like 1

I don't know if anything can save SLR.

(In unrelated news, anyone know what the project is at SLR and Kirkman?  Looks like they're expanding the Universal intersection and clearing land.  Haven't found anything, but haven't looked very hard either.

(I'm bad at Googling.  Silly me googling FL 435 and FL 482.  http://www.cflroads.com/project/407143-5/SR_482_Sand_Lake_Road_from_West_of_Universal_Boulevard_to_West_of_SR_423_John_Young_Parkway )

Edited by AndyPok1

Am I viewing this correctly and seeing tunnels planned for 535 / Hotel Plaza Blvd and for 535 / Vineland?

The elimination of the entire Crossroads area for direct access to Hotel Plaza Blvd seems to speak to Disney's increasing efforts to keep visitors on property without a lens to the outside world.  Crossroads has long been one of the few spots off property where visitors could walk to in order to have some "time away" even when Disney was the property manager some years ago.

Edited by prahaboheme

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Am I viewing this correctly and seeing tunnels planned for 535 / Hotel Plaza Blvd and for 535 / Vineland?

The elimination of the entire Crossroads area for direct access to Hotel Plaza Blvd seems to speak to Disney's increasing efforts to keep visitors on property without a lens to the outside world.  Crossroads has long been one of the few spots off property where visitors could walk to in order to have some "time away" even when Disney was the property manager some years ago.

That layout is a cluster f. Those are overpasses. Can you imagine right this second on a Friday night at 7:23pm? HELL NO.

sorry, no link.

so, the OBJ reported earlier this week that I-drive 360 should be breaking ground on the 450' Starflyer attraction within 2 weeks.  I think this is supposed to go at the corner in front of Charlie's Steakhouse, just northwest of the parking garage across the drive up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tc01 said:

Also on I drive 360. The empty lot is starting to fill up. This area is really starting to shape up!!!!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-uncle-julios-idrive-360-story.html

Just south of Yardhouse is the structure going up as we speak; just south of the central drive up where the fountain is.  If that's the location, then that is Uncle Julio's, not the Dubai based skydive attraction.  It makes sense, because the ceiling height looks restaurant-ish, not skydive attraction-ish.  Which also means the skydive attraction hasn't broken ground yet.

So, it looks like the Hollywood Garage & Circo Restaurant is u/c and, looks to be topped off at it's western face.  It's going up in segments.  It's noticeably taller than Mango's.  

Also, the Uncle Julio's Restaurant at I-Drive 360 is what is u/c just south of Yardhouse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So is there a master plan on where these systems will be built or what will be connected?

I saw this graphic in a few articles, but it's a couple months old. Not sure if this is the route related to the permits. 

walt-disney-world-skyway-gondola.jpg.db5a88cf6cfaadf27d4ed4c92e2dea54.jpg

• Like 1

They just need to get a branch out to Animal Kingdom and Disney springs and they can have complete connections to all the parks with most of the hotels without buses........ although i suspect they would avoid disney springs because people would use the free parking garages to park for the theme parks.