Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

7 minutes ago, shardoon said:

They just need to get a branch out to Animal Kingdom and Disney springs and they can have complete connections to all the parks with most of the hotels without buses........ although i suspect they would avoid disney springs because people would use the free parking garages to park for the theme parks. 

Yes.  I certainly would.  Unless they have it in their Magic Bands somehow that they are hotel guests and would have to swipe them just to get in.

It looks like they just wanted to connect those resorts to Hollywood Studios and Epcot... meaning this would probably be intended to mainly serve hotel guests. I read that part of the reason they are doing this is because the buses between these resorts and the parks are overwhelmed and that they're expecting a ton of traffic to the parks, especially Hollywood Studios, when the new Star Wars section of the park opens.

• 1 month later...

Just saw a Growthspotter article on mixed-use plans for the Artegon site. 

• Bass Pro Shops and Cinemark would stay as retail anchors 
  • Concept One:
    • 156,000 sq ft of new retail
    • 2 hotel sites with 200 rooms each
    • 640 multifamily units in 21 three- and four-story buildings (20 units/acre with surface parking lots)
  • Concept Two: 
    • 170,000 sq ft of new retail
    • 2 hotel sites with 200 rooms each
    • 1,950 multifamily units in four- and five-story buildings (50 units/acre with surface and structured parking)

gs-orlando-retail-center-owner-pursues-redevel-001.jpg.49efca177ec230339d8216b147ad66b1.jpg

gs-orlando-retail-center-owner-pursues-redevel-002.thumb.jpg.d3cd037232e72a48316bcbdc1463b789.jpg

11 minutes ago, metal93 said:

I was actually hoping that site would become another theme park or something, but this is alright I guess. Not sure if retail would fare too well though... retail and residential development that ought to be coming downtown instead.

I agree... I'm hoping as proposed, it doesn't happen. I don't think it will add anything to the area. I'd prefer the old existing mall to this proposal, but thats just me.

• Like 1

In my opinion, I believe they should go more with a entertainment complex. Something similar to a Disney Springs or Hard Rock plaza in Hollywood Fl. The project should incorporate restaurants, retail, hotels, outdoor plaza, and entertainment venues.

The concept lacks connectivity and it has too much parking lots. I don't believe multifamily units should not be incorporated into this project. Not a good area to include residents. Go more with entertainment... 

• Like 1

You would need the right tenants to draw people there. It seems like people would want to see a theme park built, but I don't think it will work for the area. Having a mini Disney Springs type project will work in the space. I would like to see some nice bars and lounges to increase nightlife such as a Wetwillies. I would add more entertainment options than retail, but you would still need some retail in the project.  

I don't see where they're going to plan an expansion... unless they have plans to put Adventure Way/I-4 ramps underground and build on top of that to connect to the Loews Sapphire Falls maybe? There's a couple of large retention ponds behind the complex, do they intend to build there?

4 minutes ago, metal93 said:

I don't see where they're going to plan an expansion... unless they have plans to put Adventure Way/I-4 ramps underground and build on top of that to connect to the Loews Sapphire Falls maybe? There's a couple of large retention ponds behind the complex, do they intend to build there?

It's the area where staging for construction is occurring south/west of the current park.  In the image below, it's the dirt on the bottom, which guests would access through the bridge with the green covering to the left of the yellow slide.  Current rumors say that it will be another water coaster.

Edited by WAJAS98

1 hour ago, tc01 said:

In my opinion, I believe they should go more with a entertainment complex. Something similar to a Disney Springs or Hard Rock plaza in Hollywood Fl. The project should incorporate restaurants, retail, hotels, outdoor plaza, and entertainment venues.

The concept lacks connectivity and it has too much parking lots. I don't believe multifamily units should not be incorporated into this project. Not a good area to include residents. Go more with entertainment... 

I didn't read the article till now, but these appear to be concept plans for potential buyers... article does still say a possible theme park operator is in negotiations as well. The plans just don't look too realistic to me, I think its just to try to drum up some competing bids for the property. I don't think the current owners have any plans to develop or operate it... and likely both potential buyers wanted to be free to demolish to build what they want.

I wish we could of got Legoland or something here instead of further down I-4. I also feel there is a void now for a Wet-n-wild style, cheaper water park as well (or a Fun Spot style water park, which now I seem to vaguely remember was announced but I haven't heard anything of it, and I don't go over there generally)... or a thrill park that isn't so worried about being kid friendly.

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

I still want Cedar Point South hahaha

I would think there's enough space, particularly if combined with the parcel south of it. Here is a comparison of the size vs. the approximate size of the 2 Universal parks (not including citiwalk, resorts, and parking.)  It really would be the ideal location for a new Universal park if they could connect it to the existing property.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 11.36.20 PM.png

14 hours ago, smileguy said:

I would think there's enough space, particularly if combined with the parcel south of it. Here is a comparison of the size vs. the approximate size of the 2 Universal parks (not including citiwalk, resorts, and parking.)  It really would be the ideal location for a new Universal park if they could connect it to the existing property.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 11.36.20 PM.png

Universal definitely won't be buying that land unless something goes terribly wrong on the south property.  It was expected a smaller company like Herschend, Six Flags, or Cedar Fair may open a new concept park there (Herschend in particular).

Sea World Orlando To Add Sesame Street Land

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/seaworld/os-seaworld-sesame-street-theme-park-20170518-story,amp.html

(From the Sentinel)

Is this the game changer Sea World needs to compete locally with Harry Potter and Darth Vader?

It's also boggling to think just how much investment is being made in the tourism quadrant and how that should keep our largest industry on steroids with spillover effects throughout central Florida (assuming the current circus in DC doesn't crash the national economy.)

• Like 1

They're building a new land at SeaWorld Orlando, and they're building a second Sesame Place (Sesame Street theme park in Pennsylvania). The new land is rumored to be a retheming of Shamu's Happy Harbor with a new major ride (hopefully dark ride like those in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom).  I think the main goal of introducing the land is to get rid of the Shamu branding from the current kids' area as they are trying to get away from that brand. All the other SeaWorld and Busch Gardens parks already rethemed their kids' areas to Sesame Street, so it's long overdue.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 2:31 PM, WAJAS98 said:

Universal definitely won't be buying that land unless something goes terribly wrong on the south property.  It was expected a smaller company like Herschend, Six Flags, or Cedar Fair may open a new concept park there (Herschend in particular).

Unless of course, Universal decides its a strategic contiguous piece of property because of its location and the new bridge, etc... also,Universal is clearly building a lot of new hotel rooms right now... trying to catch up to Disney... they may want to create a Vacation Club (timeshare) program as well to help compete with Disney after their new park.