Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Anyway, does anyone have a membership to the OBJ who read the article about Abdul Mathin  and the isquare project from either yesterday or the day before?  I'm curious to know what the status on that project is, especially in light of the fact that it will have a major new hotel property as its neighbor to the west ala Universal.

Did I miss something or why is this listed under attractions? If this is actually going to be a Thing, AndyPok might want to create a separate thread. I had put it with the Milk District since it was down Bumby from there and wasn't sure it had legs but there does seem to be quite a bit of interest.

Edited by spenser1058

So, Top Golf and Andretti Racing are close to being built out.

Starflyer 450' ride is walled off at I-Drive 360 in front of Charlie's Steakhouse.

Uncle Julio's Mexican restaurant is close to opening at I-Drive 360; just to the south of the entrance driveway.

Skydive attraction by Ice Bar is open now.

Skywalk to Hyatt from OCCC West Bldg is coming along.  construction wall is down.  It dumps you right at the old Peabody lobby drive up.

Hollywood Plaza is topped off; still building it out towards I-Drive; Circo space is visible on top.

Aventura Hotel at Universal is on level 2; it's garage is mostly done.  It's lobby level has a high ceiling; it's right on the road it seems.

Volcano Bay opened as you all know.  They are working on a 5 acre expansion- probably bordering Turkey Lake Rd.

Lexus dealership at former Citymark proposed site is mostly built out; right up on I-4.  It's big.

Marriott dual branded hotel is topped off at Millennia.

etc...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Because we need some CLASS in our local theme park selection, Orlando Weekly gives us this tantalizing possibility:

http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/06/05/a-wwe-theme-park-is-in-the-works-and-some-think-it-might-be-headed-to-orlando

Interesting. I wonder if they partnered (or are in the process) with a theme park operator and they're the possible Artegon buyer.

I don't know if it's just not within my crowd, but no one seems to care for wrestling around me, although clearly the wrestling industry seems to like Orlando, with TNA being shot here, many WWE things shot with full sail and some training center, and several wrestlemania events. If this is real, we can probably look forward too many more of their large events here as they try to cross promote the park with their other events. I'll just have no desire of going (unless the rides seem really good, then maybe I can ignore the theme).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Because we need some CLASS in our local theme park selection, Orlando Weekly gives us this tantalizing possibility:

http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/06/05/a-wwe-theme-park-is-in-the-works-and-some-think-it-might-be-headed-to-orlando

What is really ironic here, is that the thing you criticize either the WWE or their fans of with your sarcastic "CLASS" comment, you obviously lack.  What makes you better than them?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

What is really ironic here, is that the thing you criticize either the WWE or their fans of with your sarcastic "CLASS" comment, you obviously lack.  What makes you better than them?

Are you arguing that it's not low brow entertainment? I mean. Don't get me wrong. I like all kinds of low brow stuff. I have said repeatedly that I'm unaplogetically low class. But let's be real here. It's soap operas for men. Nothing wrong with it. But it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

It's just an opinion, jrs2. Relax.

But it's one that I and probably many others here share.

I used to watch "Championship Wrestling From Florida" back in 1967/68 when they broadcast it live every Saturday afternoon from what was then known as Orlando Sports Stadium, later renamed for Eddie Graham. It was sponsored by a local used cars salesman named Art Grindle, who did live commercials in which he'd jump up and down on the hoods and roofs, then after badly denting them, he'd tear the card with the price in half. I think those commercials were as much of a draw as the sport itself.

But I was a 10 y/o kid. Once I got a bit older, I lost interest in it.

Still, there is no denying that "rasslin" has always attracted a more low-brow segment of society, even back in the 1950's when it was relatively new. 

And given the increasingly extreme nature of the "characters" and their exaggerated, over the top, comical level of raging machismo and silly costumes, it's taken on an even more low brow appeal than ever before.

WWE as it's called nowadays, is mostly, the purview of lower educated, macho types and overgrown adolescents. And though, given some of the other goofy stuff Orlando is known for, I don't suppose it could damage our image too badly, it certainly won't help the rest of the world take us seriously, either.

Personally I think it's something we'd be better off without.

1 hour ago, jack said:

I loved it when I was a kid and again in college. I went to wrestle mania back in 2007 and had a blast. Totally low brow and that is why I enjoyed it. Even for casual fans I would recommend going. 

I would probably enjoy that too, as a one time, live event. Especially if someone else paid for my ticket... :D

Watch it on TV? Never.

And would a WWE themed attraction here in Orlando help enhance our image as a city? 

Highly doubtful.

• Like 2

Who can ever forget Art Grindle's 4-story model of himself in the green plaid jacket with the (at least at the beginning) moving arm to remind you of his slogan, "I want to sell you a car!"

It was located in the parking lot of his Dodge dealership on W.Colonial for those of you who missed the '70's with us.

Edited by spenser1058

The Sports Stadium was also one of the few places in town for concerts while the anti-taxers refused to let us build an arena (either that or you had to drive to Lakeland, whose civic center was better than anything Orlando had, even though OC was twice the size of Polk.) Anytime I went to OSS, I was never convinced the roof wouldn't fall in on me, not to mention the pitiful HVAC. But hey, East Orange was happening, they also had the weekend demolition derbies out in Bithlo at Speed World (my favorites were the one with school buses.)

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Who can ever forget Art Grindle's 4-story model of himself in the green plaid jacket with the (at least at the beginning) moving arm to remind you of his slogan, "I want to sell you a car!"

It was located in the parking lot of his Dodge dealership on W.Colonial for those of you who missed the '70's with us.

7870d1b5156ff931bda16ceeb99ef05c.jpg

I guess this came about after he moved up in the world.

In the late 60's, I think he was strictly a used car dealer.

3-old-Art-Grindle.jpg

grindle3.jpg

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Sports Stadium was also one of the few places in town for concerts while the anti-taxers refused to let us build an arena (either that or you had to drive to Lakeland, whose civic center was better than anything Orlando had, even though OC was twice the size of Polk.) Anytime I went to OSS, I was never convinced the roof wouldn't fall in on me, not to mention the pitiful HVAC. But hey, East Orange was happening, they also had the weekend demolition derbies out in Bithlo at Speed World (my favorites were the one with school buses.)

We used to drive over from Brevard County to see concerts there. 

Saw Uriah Heep there twice, John Baldry, Blue Oyster Cult, Golden Earring and Santana.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

It's just an opinion, jrs2. Relax.

But it's one that I and probably many others here share.

I used to watch "Championship Wrestling From Florida" back in 1967/68 when they broadcast it live every Saturday afternoon from what was then known as Orlando Sports Stadium, later renamed for Eddie Graham. It was sponsored by a local used cars salesman named Art Grindle, who did live commercials in which he'd jump up and down on the hoods and roofs, then after badly denting them, he'd tear the card with the price in half. I think those commercials were as much of a draw as the sport itself.

But I was a 10 y/o kid. Once I got a bit older, I lost interest in it.

Still, there is no denying that "rasslin" has always attracted a more low-brow segment of society, even back in the 1950's when it was relatively new. 

And given the increasingly extreme nature of the "characters" and their exaggerated, over the top, comical level of raging machismo and silly costumes, it's taken on an even more low brow appeal than ever before.

WWE as it's called nowadays, is mostly, the purview of lower educated, macho types and overgrown adolescents. And though, given some of the other goofy stuff Orlando is known for, I don't suppose it could damage our image too badly, it certainly won't help the rest of the world take us seriously, either.

Personally I think it's something we'd be better off without.

I would probably enjoy that too, as a one time, live event. Especially if someone else paid for my ticket... :D

Watch it on TV? Never.

And would a WWE themed attraction here in Orlando help enhance our image as a city? 

Highly doubtful.

The question obviously should be will it help attract more tourist dollars to Orlando, create more hotel stays, and build excitement on I-Drive making it into more of a destination?

Orlando has already cemented itself as the top family friendly tourist destination in the world. There is no "improving" on that image since we're pretty much #1. Its just about capturing more of those tourist dollars, and somewhat can it help spread the wealth outside of the pockets of Universal and Disney to help us diversify.

• Like 1

JFW, I think you're right - he moved up the food chain in the car biz and then, iirc, lost the Dodge dealership in the '74-'75 recession. He went on to start the Wheel Ranches (conversion vans) and had a long career as a GOP member of the Florida House.

Awesome pics, btw!

Edited by spenser1058

15 minutes ago, aent said:

The question obviously should be will it help attract more tourist dollars to Orlando, create more hotel stays, and build excitement on I-Drive making it into more of a destination?

Orlando has already cemented itself as the top family friendly tourist destination in the world. There is no "improving" on that image since we're pretty much #1. Its just about capturing more of those tourist dollars, and somewhat can it help spread the wealth outside of the pockets of Universal and Disney to help us diversify.

Another question to consider is whether something as cheesy as WWE would detract from that image. Serms like we'd prefer to be seen as not pandering to just anything.

Maybe someday we could be home to Stripper World.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, castorvx said:

Are you arguing that it's not low brow entertainment? I mean. Don't get me wrong. I like all kinds of low brow stuff. I have said repeatedly that I'm unaplogetically low class. But let's be real here. It's soap operas for men. Nothing wrong with it. But it is what it is. 

Oh, I'm not arguing that at all.  Only that, if you criticize an entity or people that support it as being of questionable "CLASS", then you better have the last name Rockefeller or Hilton, always fly first class, eat with real silverware, go to a private school, live in area code 90210, drive a Jag, have a membership at Isleworth Golf Club or Winter Park Tennis Club, be a major donor to Rollins, have a country house in Bordeaux, France, have an ancestral lineage that founded this country, and frequent the Swiss Alps like it ain't no thang.  Anything less than that, and nobody has room to talk, present company included.

Oh, and actually have a lineage of royalty from some European country...

Edited by jrs2

10 hours ago, tennis32801 said:

CLASS isn't defined by money, and definitely not by the type of entertainment.

Thanks.  You made my point better than I did.

Whatever the factors are, nobody has the justification to hypocritically criticize a group or entity on CLASS as if their own sh!t don't stink.  

• Like 1

My dad used to take me and my brother to watch wrestling when we were kids.  It was awesome!  We had so much fun.  We'd hang around and try to meet the wrestlers after the show.  Recently my brother and I talked about our favorite meetings.  His was Tito Santana and mine was Jake "The Snake" Roberts.  We met a lot of the 80s players in those days but those two guys really went out of their way to be extra cool to a couple of young fans. 

I have a class story.  My wife was attending a work conference (and I was there for the sights) up at the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island.  I'm standing back as my wife checked in (as many of the other attendees were) and this older lady with bling everywhere is on her phone "don't bother coming up here this week, the place is simply overrun with poor people."  That's about as classless as it gets.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

My dad used to take me and my brother to watch wrestling when we were kids.  It was awesome!  We had so much fun.  We'd hang around and try to meet the wrestlers after the show.  Recently my brother and I talked about our favorite meetings.  His was Tito Santana and mine was Jake "The Snake" Roberts.  We met a lot of the 80s players in those days but those two guys really went out of their way to be extra cool to a couple of young fans. 

I have a class story.  My wife was attending a work conference (and I was there for the sights) up at the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island.  I'm standing back as my wife checked in (as many of the other attendees were) and this older lady with bling everywhere is on her phone "don't bother coming up here this week, the place is simply overrun with poor people."  That's about as classless as it gets.

I'll see your class story and raise you one.  Sunrail.  John Mica talking in Winter Park next to a Sunrail train for the public to view before it was up and running a few years back.  A lady saw me there dressed up (I came from work).  She made a comment on how she did not want Sunrail because of "those people" attending Valencia's campus just down the street that would use the train to come into town.  I was mortified.

• Like 2