sunshine

Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

jrs2    376
34 minutes ago, aent said:

So apparently the city is now considering streetcar on the former maglev route... Publicly funded, slower, and not-elevated. I hope they don't do that. Might as well just stick with buses as streetcar will prevent any better system from being built. They should apologize to Globalvia for refusing to let them in the airport and ask them if there is any way to make it up to them...

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/08/28/streetcars-may-replace-proposed-maglev-route.html

So, are they talking about an I-Drive circulator, or the route from OIA to I-Drive?  I don't have a subscription to OBJ.

On a positive note, the hotel which had stalled out at the North I-Drive bend (past Municipal Drive) seems to have started construction again the past few weeks.  It seemed to be stalled out for almost a year.  No write up in the OBJ either.  It looks like there are another 3 floors higher than they were.

Edited by jrs2

HankStrong    360
16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/08/28/streetcars-may-replace-proposed-maglev-route.html

So, are they talking about an I-Drive circulator, or the route from OIA to I-Drive?  I don't have a subscription to OBJ.

This article is not behind the pay-wall.  If it was when you found it, they've released it.

It doesn't say anything we haven't rehashed over and over.  Maglev's agreement lapsed for their elevated train.  No immediate alternatives were given.  Mayor Jacobs prefers a light rail system.  The article estimates $50M-$70M a mile and publicly-funded instead of the Maglev private option.

Weirdly (but it is the OBJ) it references using a system like New Orleans or Boston, but shows a photo of the Atlanta Streetcar which is NOTHING like the systems in NOLA (old timey and old timey LOOKING single trolley streetcars) or Boston (a subway/above ground train) shown.

The streetcar systems in Atlanta (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Streetcar), Cincinnati (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Bell_Connector), DC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Streetcar), Portland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Streetcar), Phoenix (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Metro_Rail), Seattle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Streetcar), or Tucson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Link) are probably more likely options.  I probably missed a couple of examples, but something like these would be more in line with what they are talking about.

However, be it maglev or light rail, I still 100% believe that THIS route needs to be elevated over traffic or at least dedicated lane.  I think elevated is an insanely better option and a must if they go to the airport.  Maybe it is fine once it is on I-Drive to flow with traffic, but...

ETA:

All those wiki links and I missed a complete list one.  Boo on me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetcars_in_North_America

• Like 2

alex    426

I know streetcars have been discussed to death, but: I love streetcars, but they only really make sense if 1) they have dedicated lanes and 2) they serve stops in close proximity to one another, generally in urban areas. I've see some streetcars in Germany go super slow through dense neighborhoods and then haul ass through more suburban areas, but at that point a light rail might make more sense.

Portland, OR is a good example of mixing streetcars and light rail in different contexts.

dcluley98    534

I'm holding out for a Hyperloop connecting downtown, I-drive, UCF, and the Airport. 

I dunno, I just kinda want to feel like i'm stuck inside one of those pneumatic bank-tube thingy's from the late 80's. 

• Like 3

HankStrong    360

What would be insane on the streetcar front is to find a path to merge the I-drive corridor, the airport, and the LYMMO (replaced by streetcars on the same routes) into 1 multi-headed beast.

An I-Drive loop being one, the 3 downtown being another, and connecters to both downtown and the airport.  Although, that route to downtown would be seriously insane.

You'd probably have to go straight down Orange Ave to Sand Lake... which would be redundant to SunRail and likely impossible.

jrs2    376

^^

Yeah, the OBJ does that 3 articles per month limit thingy.

Streetcar...  yeah, I like NOLA's except for the fact that you have to wait in the median at times to get on/get off.

I understand the leaning towards LRT conceptually over Maglev.  What's to stop them from going down the median of SLR or 528 with LRT (other than having had to plan ahead for it already years ago to preserve the easement), and then take it to street level at I-Drive?

aent    79
7 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

Yeah, the OBJ does that 3 articles per month limit thingy.

Streetcar...  yeah, I like NOLA's except for the fact that you have to wait in the median at times to get on/get off.

I understand the leaning towards LRT conceptually over Maglev.  What's to stop them from going down the median of SLR or 528 with LRT (other than having had to plan ahead for it already years ago to preserve the easement), and then take it to street level at I-Drive?

OBJ's 3 articles per month limit is removed with the free registration. They've recently started making nearly ALL articles (except the daily summaries) paywall'd for the first day after release. They generally become free after 24 hours or so, unless they're in the print edition, then it takes longer for them to become free, like a couple months or so... (but they all seem to eventually from what I can tell).

Edited by aent

jrs2    376
13 hours ago, aent said:

OBJ's 3 articles per month limit is removed with the free registration. They've recently started making nearly ALL articles (except the daily summaries) paywall'd for the first day after release. They generally become free after 24 hours or so, unless they're in the print edition, then it takes longer for them to become free, like a couple months or so... (but they all seem to eventually from what I can tell).

interesting.  I didn't know.  thx.

W7edwin    44
On 8/7/2017 at 5:48 PM, jrs2 said:

I gotta tell ya, Florida Mall did a great job with it's new food court.  It resembles Millennia's a little bit but also has a wall of retail stores incorporated within the "square".

The redo they are doing/proposing for Fashion Square- if they did that at Florida Mall, with urban apts, etc., that would be terrific.  All of these malls, they should partner with developers to build urban apts adjacent to their malls with direct connects or whatever to the malls.  Millennia has done a great job with these apts so far.  Florida Mall should consider that as well.

I agree the mall has become much better, but the immediate area (at least for now, until the 2-mile radius of the area is deeply redeveloped)does not need anymore residential buildings..at all. I live and work legit across the mall and the traffic that forms on OBT and SandLake whether its the weekend, 5pm after work traffic on weekdays, or Winter time, is horrendous.  Also, considering that the surrounding residential areas (Lancaster, Winegard, Morning Dr.) are of lower income, it will be a bit of a hurdle to price an apartment unit for $1000+/month when a 1960s old complex across the street is in the $500-900 range. But feel free to correct me, I tend to be biased with stuff like this 

jrs2    376

Streetcars could be a good draw to I-Drive.  With Universal, entertainment, and the malls close by, could I-Drive become a hub for residential development, ala, highrise development?  Or, as they develop in other cities, hotel + residences? 

I-Drive south, and Westwood corridors have residential development in the form of low rise apartments and/or condos.  North of 528, not so much at all.

jrs2    376

I really love the Aventura tower.  I was at Volcano Bay (again) and the shuttle takes you right past it.  It is so awesome, it really is, IMO.

Edited by jrs2

jrs2    376

Magic Place by Pininfarina is the project which is slated to go east of OldTown/Fun Spot, which is east of Celebration.  The OBJ states that it is south of Animal Kingdom, but it really isn't anywhere near it; it is several miles to the east of there.  Those tall towers are slated to go on the south side of US 192, and the adjoining development is to go south of there.

project-snapshot-magic-development-20151111.jpg

foto-retail.jpg

gs-construction-to-start-this-month-on-1-7b-magic-place-on-kissimmee-s-tourism-corridor-20170801.jpg

magic-place-courtyard 1200xx5000-2813-0-94.jpg

mapa.jpg

gs-park-square-homes-pitches-luxury-mixed-use-behind-magic-place-20161116.png

shardoon    56

Although the project looks really cool.....almost a 1980's futuristic vision .......... I am pretty sure those towers etc.....all the parts of the project that are actually exciting...... will probably be in some future phase that will never get built. The end result will be a miniaturized ishops  with a few townhomes nearby. 

• Thanks 1

JFW657    1082
4 hours ago, shardoon said:

Although the project looks really cool.....almost a 1980's futuristic vision .......... I am pretty sure those towers etc.....all the parts of the project that are actually exciting...... will probably be in some future phase that will never get built. The end result will be a miniaturized ishops  with a few townhomes nearby. 

Given this area's history with such proposals, one can't blame you for having that assumption.

shardoon    56

Just as I suspected, pretty pictures is all this will amount to. Phase one is gonna be a fancy strip mall.  Not only that, they already missed their website deadline of clearing scheduled for 3rd quarter 2017. 

Magic Place Phase 1
Retail Marketing Package

Overview

Available __________________________________ 300,000 Sq.Ft at buildout
Phase 1 ____________________________________ 80,000 Sq.Ft
Lease Sizes ________________________________ 1,000 – 50,000 Sq.Ft
Build-to-suit available
1,850 luxury condos approved
Leasing rates available upon request