sunshine

Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

The developer of Skyplex has an ego problem........ therefore he will die trying to get it off the ground before licking his wounds and giving up lol. 

Funny you should state that; I've felt that too in a way.  At a State of I-Drive meeting a couple of years back, he was talking big about Skyplex; Chuck Whittall was also there (from Unicorp).  He was talking big about grand plans, but Whittall had already opened the Eye, so, there was no need to talk big b/c he had already produced.  And Unicorp is building the Starflyer now and Hollywood Garage is not even done yet, and won't be, for maybe another year.  He just doesn't have the $$$ needed right now.

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Funny you should state that; I've felt that too in a way.  At a State of I-Drive meeting a couple of years back, he was talking big about Skyplex; Chuck Whittall was also there (from Unicorp).  He was talking big about grand plans, but Whittall had already opened the Eye, so, there was no need to talk big b/c he had already produced.  And Unicorp is building the Starflyer now and Hollywood Garage is not even done yet, and won't be, for maybe another year.  He just doesn't have the $$$ needed right now.

I think we all know that Skyplex is a bit of a project to make sure he has a legacy and makes a name for himself. Thats part of the reason I think he will get it done, whereas projects like the Megamall are unlikely to get completed as it seems like an investment firm trying to make a deal work, but if it doesn't, its no personal feelings or ego hurt, there are other deals to be had.

He has already thrown over $50 million into this project so far. And he doesn't seem to be doing stupid things like we've seen some of these others do, namely shutting down the existing businesses that are bringing in revenue before he's ready to actually start building (ie, Megamall and Artegon). He's managed to keep every asset bringing in money for the moment. The Hollywood Plaza should replace his revenue from the things he's shutting down on the Skyplex site, and provide additional collateral he'll need to finance the project, and he needs it anyways for additional parking for Skyplex, so it makes a bit of sense. On the Perkins, he literally bought the entire franchisee out, all 8 of their restaurants to make that happen (so the "world's largest Perkins" will be his, not a real traditional tenant).

This is his dream, he's not going to give up on it, and he's going to pour all the money he's making in Mangos to make this happen (and my understanding is Mangos is a success). My biggest concern is it getting split into more phases, and what will be in each phase. I stopped by the site of the Hollywood garage this past weekend and it looked fairly close to being finished, I believe I read less then a month ago it should be turned over to the tenants and open for parking by December, with the tenants moved in before summer. I don't think he will start Skyplex until the third tenant space is filled though, he seems like a one thing at a time kind of guy, plus he's planning on more expansion work on Mangos before Skyplex as well (I believe outdoor areas in the existing parking lot and on the roof of the existing structure).

• Like 2

^^

Thanks for pointing that stuff out.  I forgot about some of that stuff.  Yeah, he does seem very methodical.  So I guess Circo is building out their own space, because right now, there is nothing but a frame on the roof.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:28 PM, aent said:

He has already thrown over $50 million into this project so far. And he doesn't seem to be doing stupid things like we've seen some of these others do, namely shutting down the existing businesses that are bringing in revenue before he's ready to actually start building (ie, Megamall and Artegon). He's managed to keep every asset bringing in money for the moment. The Hollywood Plaza should replace his revenue from the things he's shutting down on the Skyplex site, and provide additional collateral he'll need to finance the project, and he needs it anyways for additional parking for Skyplex, so it makes a bit of sense. On the Perkins, he literally bought the entire franchisee out, all 8 of their restaurants to make that happen (so the "world's largest Perkins" will be his, not a real traditional tenant).

He's shut down Dowdy Pavillion and the 7-11.

20 minutes ago, codypet said:

He's shut down Dowdy Pavillion and the 7-11.

The former 7-11 was leased to Hogan's beach shop until it can move into his new Hollywood Plaza location, which supposedly is right around the time he plans to start working on Skyplex

I read today (don't remember where) that the Artegon owner has filed countersuits against the tenants that they are slandering his title and have prevented the sale from going through, at least until its settled. Part of the claim was that over 50% of the tenants were delinquent on rent as well.

1 hour ago, aent said:

I read today (don't remember where) that the Artegon owner has filed countersuits against the tenants that they are slandering his title and have prevented the sale from going through, at least until its settled. Part of the claim was that over 50% of the tenants were delinquent on rent as well.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-bz-artegon-marketplace-closed-property-20171009-story.html

18 hours ago, Mark Baratelli said:

"...the owner has threated to bring slander..."

anyway, I don't blame the store owners for suing.  And I don't blame the mall for closing.  Wow.  Owed rent?  $600k? 

At the rate this is going, that other retail and medical development at Grand National & Oakridge across from Premium should be well underway.

BTW, that hotel u/c just south of there across from Sonic has been back on track for the past 3 or so months and they're nearly topped off.  They had stopped construction for over a year.

• Like 1

drove by Premium Outlets Vineland and I noticed that on the back side of the mall, the construction walls are up for that large plaza they are planning to build.

• Like 1

More than likely parking for construction workers at the south project site.  It must just be prep because they are still going through legal issues with the project.

2 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

More than likely parking for construction workers at the south project site.  It must just be prep because they are still going through legal issues with the project.

Or possibly team member parking with a plan to shuttle them over during peak season, and paid parking for the convention center during convention season. Universal never built the team member parking garage expansion they permitted a while back, right around the time they bought this piece of land. I can't imagine building a paved lot for the construction workers, and not that close to the rest of the site... the construction workers will be happier with a dirt lot on the site of the new park, and it'd be cheaper for universal.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:48 PM, aent said:

Or possibly team member parking with a plan to shuttle them over during peak season, and paid parking for the convention center during convention season. Universal never built the team member parking garage expansion they permitted a while back, right around the time they bought this piece of land. I can't imagine building a paved lot for the construction workers, and not that close to the rest of the site... the construction workers will be happier with a dirt lot on the site of the new park, and it'd be cheaper for universal.

If you were attempting to completely redevelop a piece of land into hotels, theme parks, nightlife, etc, would you waste some of that limited space with parking for those that are building it?  Sure it may be used for employee parking at the north site for now, but that is short term.

8 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

If you were attempting to completely redevelop a piece of land into hotels, theme parks, nightlife, etc, would you waste some of that limited space with parking for those that are building it?  Sure it may be used for employee parking at the north site for now, but that is short term.

The contiguous piece of land is not going to be built in one phase... Also I think Universal will end up buying the other 500 acres from Stan Thomas so they will have no shortage of land for some time to come

There is an upcoming large project in park to replace the Dueling Dragons coaster which does not have much space for worker parking and staging. I am not at liberty to explain what this project involves, but it is quite extensive. Perhaps this relates to the in-park construction project. 

Edited by dcluley98

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

There is an upcoming large project in park to replace the Dueling Dragons coaster which does not have much space for worker parking and staging. I am not at liberty to explain what this project involves, but it is quite extensive. Perhaps this relates to the in-park construction project. 

You mean the one that involves the forbidden forest coaster and expansion of Hogsmeade?  It could be the staging area, but they own vacant / little-used land much closer to the project area.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

You mean the one that involves the forbidden forest coaster and expansion of Hogsmeade?  It could be the staging area, but they own vacant / little-used land much closer to the project area.

I didn't say it, you did ;)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I didn't say it, you did ;)

It's so widely rumored and so many others have leaked it that I feel its okay to talk about now... but, of course, I'm just continuing a rumor

47 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Its interesting. With Universal interested in so much more land, it seems likely they were the interested party for the Artegon site and south of that as well, no? I know people keep saying Super Nintendo World is going to be in KidZone, but with this, its hard to imagine they don't plan to make it a 3rd gate.

• Like 2