Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

37 minutes ago, aent said:

Its interesting. With Universal interested in so much more land, it seems likely they were the interested party for the Artegon site and south of that as well, no? I know people keep saying Super Nintendo World is going to be in KidZone, but with this, its hard to imagine they don't plan to make it a 3rd gate.

Orlando Weekly also seems to agree with you about the third gate:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/10/30/universal-orlando-just-purchased-100-acres-off-sand-lake-road

3 minutes ago, metal93 said:

I don't think the residents of Tangelo Park would be pleased about Universal trying to develop the land north of them into another park. Then again, I've always found the location of that neighborhood rather odd, it's isolated from the rest of the suburbs with light industrial and warehouses surrounding it.

Even if they don't, with the amount of land Universal is buying combined with their other recent actions with their hotels, I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking to get much more into lodging market. I'm expecting something to compete with DVC, timeshares, etc. They very well could end up with 1000+ acres in this area in the next couple years, especially if they get the Stan Thomas land. I read thats supposed to go to mediation next month, so this land purchase could be somewhat to say "we don't really need your land... so give us a good price because we want it anyways"

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

No one knows exactly how to build a 7-star hotel?

Last I heard they were value engineering the 7 stars because the project was way over budget. We'll have to wait and see how many stars they value engineer out of it. My guess: they do 5 star value engineering before its built... and we'll see how many stars its left with

• Like 2

So, per the OBJ, a Marriott Towneplace Suites is going into the Grand National Plaza development planned there.  Very interesting when you think about the dichotomy of the two major outlet centers; both have an access bridge over I-4 giving them an alternate route to the their respective proximate theme parks, and now both have or will have neighboring shopping plazas and hotels (or more of them).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Value resorts proposed for Wet 'n Wild site:

http://bit.ly/2y9ng4t

From the Sentinel

Saw the OBJ article on it today.  They scaled it down for a total of 2,800 rooms.  The design looks to me like they assessed the design of Cabana Bay, and decided to ditch the 4 story section, keep the 8 story "arms", and connect them to a taller segment, while increasing the overall height.  Bland design.  I thought there would be a specific theme?  Even Shingle Creek Resort has a theme.  If there's no theme, then why not make a few tall Aventura Resort- looking towers?  That's a great design.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

Scott Maxwell's important column about the move to use TDT for other local needs. Consensus seems to be growing under the Dome, on S. Rosalind and in Tallahassee. Transit fans take heart: Buddy would like to earmark an extra penny for public transportation (in part).

It's interesting to note all this happening as Harris Rosen fades from the scene along with his longtime consigliere on the OC Commission, Ted Edwards.

Hotel taxes on police, transit? Finally, we may say yes!
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-florida-hotel-taxes-law-change-scott-maxwell-20171107-story.html

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, orange87 said:

Thanks, but I've already seen that, but it means little to me since the owner has been giving dates for over a decade. I wanted to know if anybody saw any construction being done with their own eyes.

I drove by it on I-4 and it looked like the parking garage had another row of pylons, but, I didn't see active construction equipment on site, so, maybe they were already there.  But they looked recent.  Anyway...

As for the owners, I wouldn't trust anything they say. 

Regarding the attractions area, I was on Grand national bridge yesterday and I noticed that the Grand National Shopping Plaza is u/c.  The site is all dug up.  Restaurants, medical office, retail, hotel are all going in there.  There are signs for the restaurants that have been up for a month or more now.

That once dead end corner will be so very different soon.  Overflow parking will be gone I think for the mall, which will force them to build a garage I hope.

• Like 1

I liked this article from WMFE 90.7 about our growing local industry to design theme park attractions. Who better than Orlando to do this? It also helps broaden our tourism economy and allows it to offer better-paying job opportunities.

http://www.wmfe.org/with-theme-parks-spending-orlando-attractions-companies-grow/80444

• Like 1