Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

There was a time, especially in the 90s, where there was an appetite in America for exactly what you describe above, and 192 was quite literally the poster child for it.

Osceola is hastily looking for ways to leave that era behind. Unfortunately, they don't have Disney's piggyback and what took Disney only a few years with the transition of downtown Disney to Disney Springs, is likely to take Osceola decades.

i just find it surprising that anyone would advocate for it on I-Drive, especially the sections that were built with the foresight to avoid it when it was a trend.

Well, as ghastly as some may find it, there still is an appetite for it. If not, places like Times Square and Las Vegas wouldn't continue to attract so many visitors year after year. 

The only reason the Osceola County tourist strip on 192 ever existed to begin with, was because of its close proximity to Disney. People flocked there in the 80's and 90's because they could get a cheap hotel with a quick, cheap or free ride to and from WDW every day. 

I think that it's more because so many other large, reasonably priced hotels have been built right within the park itself, rather than any public disdain for a particular style of signage or lighting, that the place has fallen into such decline.

I-Drive on the other hand, at least the northern section of it between Kirkman and Sand Lake, and even farther south to the convention center, is or should/could be a tourist attraction in and of itself. Something that people not only from out of town, but locals as well, want to visit and see. People like to experience a bit of the garish and the outlandish on vacation once in awhile. Carnival atmosphere. That's why a lot of people don't really live in the I-Drive area. It's not supposed to be quaint and cozy or tasteful and inviting. It should be loud and bright and flashy and noisy.

Besides, we've already got one bland, boring, conservative "main drag" in Orlando. It's called Orange Avenue and it runs from Lake Ivanhoe to Lake Lucerne.

Keep in mind that what I'm talking about here is just my own opinion. I'm not one of those people who thinks that my "grand vision" for Orlando, or any portion of it, is superior or should be the last word. It's just the way I'd like to see things. But I'm sure that the county will follow the popular current PC trend towards bland understatement and eventually require all businesses down there to have tiny, non-backlit signs and no neon or flashing lighting or anything else that's actually fun or interesting to look at.

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well, as ghastly as some may find it, there still is an appetite for it. If not, places like Times Square and Las Vegas wouldn't continue to attract so many visitors year after year. 

The only reason the Osceola County tourist strip on 192 ever existed to begin with, was because of its close proximity to Disney. People flocked there in the 80's and 90's because they could get a cheap hotel with a quick, cheap or free ride to and from WDW every day. 

I think that it's more because so many other large, reasonably priced hotels have been built right within the park itself, rather than any public disdain for a particular style of signage or lighting, that the place has fallen into such decline.

I-Drive on the other hand, at least the northern section of it between Kirkman and Sand Lake, and even farther south to the convention center, is or should/could be a tourist attraction in and of itself. Something that people not only from out of town, but locals as well, want to visit and see. People like to experience a bit of the garish and the outlandish on vacation once in awhile. Carnival atmosphere. That's why a lot of people don't really live in the I-Drive area. It's not supposed to be quaint and cozy or tasteful and inviting. It should be loud and bright and flashy and noisy.

Besides, we've already got one bland, boring, conservative "main drag" in Orlando. It's called Orange Avenue and it runs from Lake Ivanhoe to Lake Lucerne.

Keep in mind that what I'm talking about here is just my own opinion. I'm not one of those people who thinks that my "grand vision" for Orlando, or any portion of it, is superior or should be the last word. It's just the way I'd like to see things. But I'm sure that the county will follow the popular current PC trend towards bland understatement and eventually require all businesses down there to have tiny, non-backlit signs and no neon or flashing lighting or anything else that's actually fun or interesting to look at.

While I generally agree with what you said, one thing I'll point out is Universal generally has had a shortage of hotels for a long, long time now, much like Disney did when 192 was built up. Universal the last few years has been building tons of hotels, and is showing no signs of slowing down. We'll have to see what effect this has on I-Drive, and why projects like Skyplex are sooo important. Wet N Wild being replaced by new Universal "budget" hotels is a huge loss for I-Drive, and we'll have to see how well those area hotels can handle that.

I will add I really like what Universal is doing on their property, they really are building it much more densely then what Disney has ever done, and don't seem to be slowing down with that even thought they bought a ton of new land, but the effect on I-Drive can still be bad... we'll have to see if they can get some new attractions open to replace it.

Edited by aent

36 minutes ago, aent said:

While I generally agree with what you said, one thing I'll point out is Universal generally has had a shortage of hotels for a long, long time now, much like Disney did when 192 was built up. Universal the last few years has been building tons of hotels, and is showing no signs of slowing down. We'll have to see what effect this has on I-Drive, and why projects like Skyplex are sooo important. Wet N Wild being replaced by new Universal "budget" hotels is a huge loss for I-Drive, and we'll have to see how well those area hotels can handle that.

I will add I really like what Universal is doing on their property, they really are building it much more densely then what Disney has ever done, and don't seem to be slowing down with that even thought they bought a ton of new land, but the effect on I-Drive can still be bad... we'll have to see if they can get some new attractions open to replace it.

Exactly why I-Drive should strive to become a tourist attraction itself, rather than just a street with hotels and restaurants for people to be when they aren't at Disney or Universal. Give people reasons to want to go there and spend time (and money of course) there. I think they're leaning towards that with The Eye, etc, but I think if they put too many restrictions on things like lighting and signage and what kind of businesses can operate there, it will do more to hinder success.

One thing I didn't mention in my last post about 192 in Osceola County, is that the area was never walkable either. Nobody who stayed down there ever said "Let's go out and stroll up and down 192!!!". I-Drive on the other hand, is a very walkable street that invites getting out and taking in the sights and sounds. I just think there needs to be more of them.

• Like 2

Several new upgrades and attractions coming to the KSC Visitor Complex. The podcast also highlights just how much busier Space Coast tourism is likely to become in the next few years.

With so much expansion of economic activity in Brevard tourism, space activity at Spaceport Florida/KSC/CCAFS and Port Canaveral, dare we imagine that OC and Brevard might finally be tied together as one contiguous region?

http://www.wmfe.org/new-experiences-for-future-space-explorers/81259

From WMFE 90.7

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Several new upgrades and attractions coming to the KSC Visitor Complex. The podcast also highlights just how much busier Space Coast tourism is likely to become in the next few years.

With so much expansion of economic activity in Brevard tourism, space activity at Spaceport Florida/KSC/CCAFS and Port Canaveral, dare we imagine that OC and Brevard might finally be tied together as one contiguous region?

http://www.wmfe.org/new-experiences-for-future-space-explorers/81259

From WMFE 90.7

Speaking strictly from an environmental standpoint, and assuming that such a scenario would entail the commercial and residential development of a large swath of what is presently unspoiled natural woodland and wilderness, I would have say "I SURE HOPE NOT!!!". :o:(

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Speaking strictly from an environmental standpoint, and assuming that such a scenario would entail the commercial and residential development of a large swath of what is presently unspoiled natural woodland and wilderness, I would have say "I SURE HOPE NOT!!!". :o:(

I agree with you if they just let sprawl run rampant. Here's hoping that the changes coming in the next year at OC (in conjunction with Brevard County, but I've been less than impressed over the years by their green cred) will make it possible to do this right. Obviously, the Deseret folks will also be involved along with Osceola. Tallahassee and the ECFRPC could also help but that will require big changes in governance after the 2018 elections as well.

I guess my point, inelegantly stated, was that big changes are afoot on the OC side along the FL 50/FL 408 corridor by FDOT/CFEA and it looks like activity on the Brevard side will now lead to the two metros melding one way or another. Martin Andersen's last big dream is about to be real.

As had been predicted, Cirque will continue at Disney Springs after La Nouba closes this month. This time, however, with Disney IP.

Will characters from Marvel be included? Stay tuned...
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/the-artistic-type/os-et-la-nouba-replacement-disney-20171218-story.html

From the Sentinel

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

I would love to see all these buildings downtown.

Same here, but they are a bit too interesting looking for downtown Orlando.

Nowhere near bland, boring or ugly enough to meet with the DDB criteria.

No silly looking, gimmicky roof either. 

Gotta have the gimmicky roof to go up downtown.

• Haha 1

I have numerous friends who lived in Waverly and Aspire, and their biggest complaints were the curved walls.  It made interior design a nightmare with tons of wasted space.

Also, these are getting built for tourists, while I love for tourists to visit Orlando proper and realize we're more than I Drive and Mickey, I would not want to have a theme park in Parramore.

• Like 3

The latest attempt at an LGBT-themed nightclub and resort in the attractions area has closed:

http://bit.ly/2kLo7Ts

From the Sentinel

It's interesting that with millions of visitors to I-Drive, LBV and 192 every year that a gay bar has never been able to find traction there.

Meanwhile, the area's grande dame of gay resorts, the Parliament House, carries on after 42 years at its slightly down-at-the-heels West Orlando location.

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The latest attempt at an LGBT-themed nightclub and resort in the attractions area has closed:

http://bit.ly/2kLo7Ts

From the Sentinel

It's interesting that with millions of visitors to I-Drive, LBV and 192 every year that a gay bar has never been able to find traction there.

Meanwhile, the area's grande dame of gay resorts, the Parliament House, carries on after 42 years at its slightly down-at-the-heels West Orlando location.

Does Sun on the Beach at Old Town still host a gay night?  That had a pretty loyal following a few years ago.

5 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Maybe it's an issue of poor marketing to the target audience? I agree with you ... Orlando certainly draws its fair share of LGBTQ visitors, so it's odd a club in the heart of that district can't make it happen.

Orlando does get it's fair share of LGBT people but the crowd that does come is willing to pay the Uber fare to go to the City's proper LGBT clubs. Just like Vegas, there is no Gay Club right on the strip. Don't think an LGBT club will really ever make it there. No locals would go. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 3:42 PM, prahaboheme said:

What an ugly building.

Ok.  So I am going to agree with you on this.  Here’s why:

They market the Hollywood Plaza garage as bringing a South Beach feel to I-Drive.  Yeah, maybe from the 1980’s.  At least I-Drive 360’s garage looks modern with modern elements.  The design of this thing makes design progress near I-Drive go backwards to an era of tacky colors and patterns.  I hate it.  Look at the Aventura Tower and Cabana Bay towers and their modern designs, and look at I-Drive 360 etc, then look at the Topgolf/Andretti racing complex, then look at this...thing.   

Whoever approved this color scheme at Orange County needs to be...you know what.

It is also a far cry from the modern design of their future Skyplex complex.

It’s only saving grace is that it will have a rooftop restaurant, and it’s parking will allow them to open up Mango’s rooftop bar finally.

On 12/21/2017 at 12:13 PM, bqknight said:

Orlando does get it's fair share of LGBT people but the crowd that does come is willing to pay the Uber fare to go to the City's proper LGBT clubs. Just like Vegas, there is no Gay Club right on the strip. Don't think an LGBT club will really ever make it there. No locals would go. 

...probably because most Gays have good taste and they probably see I-drive as not being trendy...at least not yet.

• Like 2

We discussed a while back about us supposedly being overly critical on Orlando's plethora of too good to be true projects and it was suggested I was being too hard on these budding entrepreneurs. Just in time for the new year, here's an update on one of the exemplars of the species:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4191-indicted-mingos-investor-arrested-attempting-to-fly-to-ecuador

From Scott Joseph

Whether we're talking Rocket City, Glenn Turner's Koscot debacle (and his Seminole County castle!) or World Trade Center Orlando, just to name three, Central Florida has long been a scammer's paradise. The one that was cloaked in all sorts of upscale trappings was downtown's Tradition Towers, which many insisted was a perfectly acceptable project even though the only high-rise project the developer ever completed previously was a college dorm.

Look at the track record to find out just how likely something is to come to fruition. It will rarely steer you wrong.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 2