Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

8 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I totally agree.  It should've been something like that 7-star hotel proposal IMO or at least like Aventura Tower.

I had envisioned this as a "transfer" parcel between the current Universal resort and the newly acquired property.  If they are to utilize an alternative mode of transportation to bridge the gap between these areas, such as say monorail or people mover, imagine the opportunities to develop a major hotel/retail/restaurant area at Universal/I-Drive with a stop directly at this location.

Of course, it is all speculation as to what the future holds as Universal has been tight lipped on any details.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I had envisioned this as a "transfer" parcel between the current Universal resort and the newly acquired property.  If they are to utilize an alternative mode of transportation to bridge the gap between these areas, such as say monorail or people mover, imagine the opportunities to develop a major hotel/retail/restaurant area at Universal/I-Drive with a stop directly at this location.

Of course, it is all speculation as to what the future holds as Universal has been tight lipped on any details.

That's what I thought it would be.  When I first saw the plans for this parcel, I was disappointed.  I think, though, that they may purchase the former Skull Kingdom property across the way for that kind of thing if they use transit.  But, I heard over a year ago that they were granted an easement over the Grand National bridge, but that doesn't connect to their property directly, so, I don't know.  If they were to eventually buy Artegon and the former site of the failed roller coaster park proposal, then Tangelo Park is the only thing separating this land from the land between SLR and Universal Blvd to the south.  What does that have to do with this set of hotels...as of right now...absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

I think part of the problem is Universal likely doesn't want to "compete" with I-Drive and make it too easy to walk along it. I imagine their concept is the people at this hotel are the most likely to do it anyways, and thats why its the value/cheapest resort, but they don't want to encourage it or bring more people then they need to this parcel of land. Its still somewhat useful to Universal as it creates a buffer and the illusion has their transport travels across Universal Blvd you're never really leaving Universal's property.

Keep in mind the Skyplex proposal, if built, will easily be visible across the lake and would seem attractive to walk to, and close enough to walk as well... the approval of that likely killed any chances of Universal trying to keep this hotel and land too connected to the rest of their stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Anybody know the land clearing for a property next to the parking area North of the Renaissance? It's not too far from the Westwood land clearing property.

I think they may be expanding the Renaissance

10 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think they may be expanding the Renaissance

Well, their ballroom expansion is on the south side of the hotel. This what I saw is to the North. I'm going to try and get a photo tomorrow on the way home. I dont think it's construction but just a bunch of dirt that has been there. I was just curious.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn

Orlando theme parks continued to lead North America in popularity in 2017, even as the Magic Kingdom was close to max capacity and more than half of DHS was under construction.

Sea World Orlando was the glaring weak spot due to a variety of factors, not least because of what Kirk Douglas once sang, Got a whale of a tale to tell you, lads..."

From YouTube/Disney

Sea World seems to have stabilized in the spring of this year, while Disney and USF's multi-billion investments in the parks over the next five years should make the numbers sing for our #1 industry.

That's of course assuming the national economy doesn't go into a tailspin or we fall prey to some international calamity, whether brought on externally or self-induced.

The larger question is where the workers will come from, given we are well into numbers economists consider full employment for the region.

https://www.limaohio.com/news/business/309288/attendance-flat-at-cedar-point-in-2017

From limaohio.com

Edited by spenser1058

Two bits of news this week bode well for Disney to emerge the likely winner over Comcast in the quest to acquire FOX.

(1) Two respected shareholder service firms have given the nod to Disney;

(2) The Justice Dept. is appealing the AT&T- Time Warner merger. It is believed Comcast has more antitrust hurdles to jump from a potential merger. When AT&T first got approval for its merger, it seemed Comcast might be in the clear. That now looks doubtful.

How does this affect Central Florida? Disney's bid appears to tie up less of the company's balance sheet than Comcast's does. Given the billions of dollars both companies are investing on their parks here, it seems more likely Disney can spend the money (and stock) for FOX while still building in Orlando. 

If Comcast isn't using the money for FOX, that frees up more $$$$ to build Universal's next gate next to Lockheed Martin.

Stay tuned!

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/disneys-bid-for-fox-endorsed-by-important-proxy-firms-comcasts-bid-dealt-blow-by-justice-department/

From WDW News Today

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Two bits of news this week bode well for Disney to emerge the likely winner over Comcast in the quest to acquire FOX.

(1) Two respected shareholder service firms have given the nod to Disney;

(2) The Justice Dept. is appealing the AT&T- Time Warner merger. It is believed Comcast has more antitrust hurdles to jump from a potential merger. When AT&T first got approval for its merger, it seemed Comcast might be in the clear. That now looks doubtful.

How does this affect Central Florida? Disney's bid appears to tie up less of the company's balance sheet than Comcast's does. Given the billions of dollars both companies are investing on their parks here, it seems more likely Disney can spend the money (and stock) for FOX while still building in Orlando. 

If Comcast isn't using the money for FOX, that frees up more $$$$ to build Universal's next gate next to Lockheed Martin.

Stay tuned!

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/disneys-bid-for-fox-endorsed-by-important-proxy-firms-comcasts-bid-dealt-blow-by-justice-department/

From WDW News Today

Universal is going to be going full speed ahead on the new gate regardless of the FOX acquisition, everyone seems to believes Universal is a gate or 2 short of really becoming the destination of its own and not part of an Orlando trip, so they can capture all the tourist dollars like Disney does with their guests. I think the question is more of who will do more with the FOX IP in Orlando... Universal, who is building a new gate or 2, or Disney, who will have to replace existing attractions or maybe expand an existing park with it... I'm guessing Universal acquiring it would give us more in Orlando, not less, as they are less likely to need to spend money acquiring external IPs if they get it.

• Like 2

CNBC is reporting that Comcast is unlikely to up its bid for FOX, instead focusing its interest on European carrier Sky (which FOX partly owns and is likely to divest.)

Since Comcast owns CNBC, this is likely a reliable source.

Because the Justice Dept. has already cleared Disney's acquisition, it appears Bart and Homer are on their way to the Mouse House (barring unforeseen issues.)

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/16/comcast-unlikely-to-raise-fox-bid-focused-on-sky-sources.html

5 minutes ago, sunshine said:

So Disney will own Simpsons and Marvel at Universal Studios.

Indeed they will but apparently both sides are OK with that. Disney IP is in a competitor park reminding everyone who rules the roost (I have no idea if Uni is still paying out for the privilege.) Universal has the great characters they obviously wanted. AFAIK, the contract USF has about the Simpsons isn't as ironclad as the one for MSU, so maybe they'll head to LBV one day. I don't think anyone's in a hurry, though.

• Like 1

Apparently the Magic Kingdom is getting a new cast member parking area on the site of the old boneyard/Persian Resort. It seems it was going to replace TP-2,when the Main Street Theatre was still a thing but apparently they still want the extra space.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/new-cast-member-parking-lot-being-built-by-the-magic-kingdom/

From WDW News Today

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Apparently the Magic Kingdom is getting a new cast member parking area on the site of the old boneyard/Persian Resort. It seems it was going to replace TP-2,when the Main Street Theatre was still a thing but apparently they still want the extra space.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/new-cast-member-parking-lot-being-built-by-the-magic-kingdom/

From WDW News Today

Universal will be building an expansion to their team member parking garage from 8/10 to 12/15. Thats at least a structure if we're talking parking news lol

• Like 2

Rosen Centre will be expanding into what is currently the Red Roof Inn/Midpointe and Clarion Inn & Suites. Those combined 356 room hotels will be replaced with over 600 new rooms and 150,000 sq ft of additional meeting space. Also Rosen Shingle Creek will add a 16 story 640 room condo tower along with 150,000 new meeting space, and a new parking garage to handle the additional space to help support the convention center expansion.

• Like 1

So crazy news from the palm parkway front. Beacon Point, all that land that already has site development structures built and delivered....... the so called replacement for crossroads...... just got slapped with an eminent domain filing for the entire site! How ironic considering they were supposed to alleviate the eminent domain exodus of restaurants from crossroads. They originally anticipated only 6 acres to be pulled for the Daryl Carter interchange, but FDOT decided that they want all 33 acres for an elaborate drainage retention pond system. Needless to say, construction is now at a halt.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, shardoon said:

So crazy news from the palm parkway front. Beacon Point, all that land that already has site development structures built and delivered....... the so called replacement for crossroads...... just got slapped with an eminent domain filing for the entire site! How ironic considering they were supposed to alleviate the eminent domain exodus of restaurants from crossroads. They originally anticipated only 6 acres to be pulled for the Daryl Carter interchange, but FDOT decided that they want all 33 acres for an elaborate drainage retention pond system. Needless to say, construction is now at a halt.

That just got discussed in the I4 ultimate thread.