Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

The new Disney college tuition fund will set aside $50 million this year for 80k eligible workers.

That amounts to average equivalent of $625 per worker, or $0.30/hr, this year.

The amount drops to half of that next year and beyond (when Disney will set aside $25 million/year).  

That is essentially a $0.15/hr wage increase next year and beyond.

Thinking more about it more...I made a couple of assumptions I probably shouldn't have:

(1) I assumed each employee is full time.  That, of course, is not true.  Part-timers will see an even smaller benefit.

(2) I assumed Disney will spend the entire $50 million this year and entire $25 million/yr thereafter.  I'd be surprised if it did, but that is at least disputable.

4 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Thinking more about it more...I made a couple of assumptions I probably shouldn't have:

(1) I assumed each employee is full time.  That, of course, is not true.  Part-timers will see an even smaller benefit.

(2) I assumed Disney will spend the entire $50 million this year and entire $25 million/yr thereafter.  I'd be surprised if it did, but that is at least disputable.

Your first point would increase the per hour benefit to the employee, even more so for part timers (if they're eligibile)

15 minutes ago, aent said:

Your first point would increase the per hour benefit to the employee, even more so for part timers (if they're eligibile)

You are right.  It's counterintuitive that part-timers would benefit more (if they are eligible), but that would be true. 

I actually like the college tuition program. I don't think it's a game changer at all though.  It respresents a fraction of the $12k/employee free-pass program discussed already.

Wait....someone actually talking about a living wage today.

This story is about Disneyland, where some workers will earn $15/hr.  The same argument would certainly apply here as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/23/pay-a-living-wage-bernie-sanders-accuses-disney-of-dodging-fair-pay?CMP=twt_gu

Edited by I am Reality

13 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Wait....someone actually talking about a living wage today.

This story is about Disneyland, where some workers will earn $15/hr.  The same argument would certainly apply here as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/23/pay-a-living-wage-bernie-sanders-accuses-disney-of-dodging-fair-pay?CMP=twt_gu

Isnt Disney canceling a new luxury hotel there as a result of this? Eliminating a bunch of actual high wage jobs and permanent new jobs for the area (likely paying a bit more, as its higher end)? The same arguments of why it makes no sense apply here as well. And my understanding is Universal and Disney are expanding as much as they are here primarily because the political climate supports the job creators instead of fighting them creating additional jobs (under the guise that the jobs aren't good enough, even if its better then no job at all, the actual alternative)

7 minutes ago, aent said:

Isnt Disney canceling a new luxury hotel there as a result of this? Eliminating a bunch of actual high wage jobs and permanent new jobs for the area (likely paying a bit more, as its higher end)? The same arguments of why it makes no sense apply here as well. And my understanding is Universal and Disney are expanding as much as they are here primarily because the political climate supports the job creators instead of fighting them creating additional jobs (under the guise that the jobs aren't good enough, even if its better then no job at all, the actual alternative)

My understanding is Disney put the new hotel on hold for different reasons.  The location is not covered by tax breaks.  Disney is effectively forcing the Anaheim city council to grant it tax breaks at its selected location.

As for the wage issue, your argument has been made since the minimum wage was first enacted years ago.  

55 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

My understanding is Disney put the new hotel on hold for different reasons.  The location is not covered by tax breaks.  Disney is effectively forcing the Anaheim city council to grant it tax breaks at its selected location.

As for the wage issue, your argument has been made since the minimum wage was first enacted years ago.  

Kinda, the city originally agreed to allow Disney would have originally benefited by a subsidy the city was granting due to the location. It originally was going to be smaller and in another section of the property. This was many years ago. The current council doesn’t like it and is going back on the prior agreement. Causing Disney to re-evaluate their plan. Luxury hotels have relatively slim profit margins compared to their standard hotels due to the additional required amenities.

Now in the current situation regarding the workers wage, I don’t know enough to have a position on it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Do you have a source for your “understanding”?

10 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

Anaheim is not a one trick poney. Disney isn’t forcing them into anything. It’s the other way around. That’s why Disney hightailed to Florida in the first place.

I don't recall saying Anaheim is a one-trick pony.  

To the contrary, Anaheim has refused to bend-over-and-take-it from Disney.   I posted an article saying (1) Anaheim is trying to pass a living wage law, against the opposition of Disney, and; (2) Anaheim has not - and likely will not - extend tax benefits to Disney for the new hotel. 

It's nice to see the city stand up for its residents. That takes real political courage. 

As for why Disney World chose FL decades ago, that discussion is much too lengthy to have here.  It was not because of Anaheim local governance though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

WDW and the Service Trades Council have reached a tentative deal for wages of $15/hour by 2021 for hourly cast members:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-disney-union-contract-20180822-story.html 

From the Sentinel

But the wages are just fine!!!

I will assume everyone is against the proposed wage increase.  Let's at least be consistent.

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

But the wages are just fine!!!

I will assume everyone is against the proposed wage increase.  Let's at least be consistent.

Nobody has said they don't want wages to go up on any side. Why would anyone be against wage increases? Stop making crap up.

People have only been against government mandated minimum wage increases, not natural market forces increases. Having super low unemployment rates and having to pay workers more (or provide better benefits, etc) to get reasonable workers is the sign of a great, healthy economy. If things turn around, Disney and other companies have the right to renegotiate what they pay, unless its a minimum wage, then they only have the option to fire them. And realistically, its all the  businesses on I-Drive that try to get some of the tourist money and prevent it all from going to Comcast and Disney that really would really suffer.

3 hours ago, aent said:

Nobody has said they don't want wages to go up on any side. Why would anyone be against wage increases? Stop making crap up.

People have only been against government mandated minimum wage increases, not natural market forces increases. Having super low unemployment rates and having to pay workers more (or provide better benefits, etc) to get reasonable workers is the sign of a great, healthy economy. If things turn around, Disney and other companies have the right to renegotiate what they pay, unless its a minimum wage, then they only have the option to fire them. And realistically, its all the  businesses on I-Drive that try to get some of the tourist money and prevent it all from going to Comcast and Disney that really would really suffer.

I am so happy for the Disney workers.  

They work hard and deserve all they can get. 

From Orlando's standpoint, this will provide a nice boost to local economic development.  The wages be recirculated locally, rather than sent back directly to home-office.  

There is much work to still be done.  But this is a great day for Orlandoans (assuming everything is finalized).  

Just how much Disney moved during contract negotiations:

Its first contract offer was for $0.50 more per hour.

The new contract is a HUGE concession on Disney's part.  The company deserves credit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/xwma3q/when-working-in-disney-world-means-being-stuck-living-in-a-cheap-motel