Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

6 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Oh, wow.  Direct access is much needed.  IMO, they need an I-4 flyover that connects I-drive to TLR inbetween SLR and CFLA Pkwy.  I think the only place they can do it effectively is to use the north side OCCC access road between the West Bldg and Rosen Plaza and extend it over I-4.  It should come out near Dr. Phillips Hospital.  Having to go to SLR or CFLA Pkwy to cut across is a pain.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Oh, wow.  Direct access is much needed.  IMO, they need an I-4 flyover that connects I-drive to TLR inbetween SLR and CFLA Pkwy.  I think the only place they can do it effectively is to use the north side OCCC access road between the West Bldg and Rosen Plaza and extend it over I-4.  It should come out near Dr. Phillips Hospital.  Having to go to SLR or CFLA Pkwy to cut across is a pain.

Oooo I like that idea.  It would also make sense to combine that intersection with the Pointe Plaza Avenue intersection so that not all of the traffic from that overpass goes onto I-Drive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I'm curious if there's a groundswell of companies wanting to be out there or if they assume Disney will need the overflow space.

I guess the continuing relocation of timeshare companies to the area might make it a thing.

57 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

So... Disney could have easily built a 2 story parking deck-like structure over their existing parking and put those panels on top of there.  So, if we want to hang Consolidated Tomoka or Unicorp for chopping down trees in Daytona off of LPGA, we should use the same standard when assessing what Disney is doing here.  

So now, Disney gets to save money in the long on energy run as their direct benefit, while the immediate environment loses a bunch of air filtering greenery.  Altruism doesn't exist in the business world.

If indeed Consolidated Tomoka and Unicorp are doing mitigation in other environmental efforts as it suggests Disney is doing here, we can offer kudos to them as well.

Disney has been applauded by all sorts of environmental orgs over the years, starting with the Florida Audubon Society working with them soon after the Florida Project got underway.

I've never heard anything particularly positive said on that front about C-T. If there's a story to tell, please share it with us.

Is there a problem with Unicorp on that front? I haven't heard anything one way or the other about Chuck and co.

This will no doubt disappoint jrs2 but Disney CEO Bob Iger has announced he won't be running for president in 2020

http://bit.ly/2EcUffJ

From the Sentinel

I fully expect him to hang around through the WDW 50th anniversary celebrations in 2021 and beyond. Michael Eisner didn't want to retire, either - it seems to be a habit-forming job. Bob tends to be more low-key than Michael and has definitely returned to reinvesting in the parks so that works well for Orlando.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So... Disney could have easily built a 2 story parking deck-like structure over their existing parking and put those panels on top of there.  So, if we want to hang Consolidated Tomoka or Unicorp for chopping down trees in Daytona off of LPGA, we should use the same standard when assessing what Disney is doing here.  

So now, Disney gets to save money in the long on energy run as their direct benefit, while the immediate environment loses a bunch of air filtering greenery.  Altruism doesn't exist in the business world.

Panels on parking garages makes no sense, the rooftop space is already used for parking vehicles, and you need to create an entire new structure to lift the panels, in addition to hold them down during storms. That structure no doubt has significant environmental impacts to build.... I get people like the idea for shading vehicles, but it makes more sense to put solar panels literally anywhere else.

And under that theory, altruism doesn't really exist anywhere, read Ayn Rand's books for a more detailed explanation. Disney should be applauded for doing something to help the environment, just as we should applaud them for funding medical research, donating to DPAC, and their other community efforts. They could just as easily do nothing and increase their other marketing budgets instead. Environmentalism needs to make financial sense if anyone is really going to start doing it. I had a friend buying a new car the other day, who did their college thesis on sea level rise, and I was trying to convince them a battery or plug in hybrid vehicle, and them, who wants all the environmental laws and thinks its going to be devastating very soon simply refused as it could possibly inconvenience them (and it wouldn't really, just an irrational fear, and the cost difference is covered by the tax credit). Me, who just wants it to make financial sense and doesn't want mandates on it, owns a PHEV and BEV vehicle, go figure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If indeed Consolidated Tomoka and Unicorp are doing mitigation in other environmental efforts as it suggests Disney is doing here, we can offer kudos to them as well.

Disney has been applauded by all sorts of environmental orgs over the years, starting with the Florida Audubon Society working with them soon after the Florida Project got underway.

I've never heard anything particularly positive said on that front about C-T. If there's a story to tell, please share it with us.

Is there a problem with Unicorp on that front? I haven't heard anything one way or the other about Chuck and co.

LOL.  I'm just bitter b/c my car gets hit by direct sunlight when parked at EPCOT

1 hour ago, aent said:

Panels on parking garages makes no sense, the rooftop space is already used for parking vehicles, and you need to create an entire new structure to lift the panels, in addition to hold them down during storms. That structure no doubt has significant environmental impacts to build.... I get people like the idea for shading vehicles, but it makes more sense to put solar panels literally anywhere else.

And under that theory, altruism doesn't really exist anywhere, read Ayn Rand's books for a more detailed explanation. Disney should be applauded for doing something to help the environment, just as we should applaud them for funding medical research, donating to DPAC, and their other community efforts. They could just as easily do nothing and increase their other marketing budgets instead. Environmentalism needs to make financial sense if anyone is really going to start doing it. I had a friend buying a new car the other day, who did their college thesis on sea level rise, and I was trying to convince them a battery or plug in hybrid vehicle, and them, who wants all the environmental laws and thinks its going to be devastating very soon simply refused as it could possibly inconvenience them (and it wouldn't really, just an irrational fear, and the cost difference is covered by the tax credit). Me, who just wants it to make financial sense and doesn't want mandates on it, owns a PHEV and BEV vehicle, go figure.

why can't they have done what Darden did?  Aren't those solar panels on the top of their garage?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

why can't they have done what Darden did?  Aren't those solar panels on the top of their garage?

I didn't say it can't be done, but it makes little sense because of all of the added costs. You're spending more money on structure and less on solar panels. Even normal rooftop is much better economically. 

If you were worried that Kentucky's Ark Encounter was going to take all the interest from visiting our local theme parks, apparently you can rest easy.

According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, attendance at the new park isn't exactly setting the world on fire (although they're obviously in great shape in case of a flood...)

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2018/08/02/kentucky-ark-encounter-visitors-sink-lower-than-projections/878239002/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Painting is in progress on the Dry n Tame value resort at Universal

After seeing the fidget spinner hotel they built before this and the Coronado Springs pics above, it seems so lame :-( I guess thats what makes it the value resort... Universal's gotta get on building pricier resorts again. I guess they're waiting on the new property though

• Thanks 1