Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

1 hour ago, aent said:

Painting is in progress on the Dry n Tame value resort at Universal

After seeing the fidget spinner hotel they built before this and the Coronado Springs pics above, it seems so lame :-( I guess thats what makes it the value resort... Universal's gotta get on building pricier resorts again. I guess they're waiting on the new property though

imagine replacing a well-known money making water park with a soviet era shoebox version of a super 8 smh :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Paul Brinkmann (who apparently is freelancing these days) reports  FDOT has announced a meeting for preliminary discussions about the long-rumored extension of FL 435 (Kirkman Road) through Martin property. It's, of course, a critical piece in the proposedUniversal expansion:

http://universal.wdwinfo.com/state-calls-meeting-to-plan-road-for-universals-expansion/

From The DIS

GO VOTE!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Paul Brinkmann (who apparently is freelancing these days) reports  FDOT has announced a meeting for preliminary discussions about the long-rumored extension of FL 435 (Kirkman Road) through Martin property. It's, of course, a critical piece in the proposedUniversal expansion:

http://universal.wdwinfo.com/state-calls-meeting-to-plan-road-for-universals-expansion/

From The DIS

GO VOTE!

fantastic news.  so the Kirkman curve will begin at Carrier Drive...it would almost have to, and I bet the existing interchange would be completely demolished when it's done.

6 hours ago, shardoon said:

Vineland point changed plans. Phase 2 and 3 to be built at the same time. Phase 2 has a super target. Phase 3 has a 10 screen theater chain (Alamo theaters) and cheesecake factory.

Very interesting.  Another Cheesecake Factory...and a cinema...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

fantastic news.  so the Kirkman curve will begin at Carrier Drive...it would almost have to, and I bet the existing interchange would be completely demolished when it's done.

I've mentioned it in the past, the concepts I've seen move the SB lanes under the bridge with the NB lanes and Kirkman would run along the east side of the Martin Property.  No changes were planned for Sand Lake Road other than new ramps.

• Like 1

Before Harry Potter ended up at Universal, J.K. Rowling gave Disney the first crack at the boy wizard. A look at how things might have been and how her decision to look for a better offer worked out better for everyone:

https://www.slashfilm.com/disney-world-harry-potter/

From Slashfilm

Edited by spenser1058

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, spenser1058 said:

Universal has filed site plans with Orange County  for their new property:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201810/6375/

From Theme Park Insider

Also, the comments note FL 435 will be closed overnight next weekend, ostensibly to place the pedestrian walkway at Kirkman Road and Major Blvd.

wow.  100 acres of asphalt.  I don't know what's worse, that, or UF losing to UGA the way they did.  maybe it's a temporary thing prior to parking garaging it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

wow.  100 acres of asphalt.  I don't know what's worse, that, or UF losing to UGA the way they did.  maybe it's a temporary thing prior to parking garaging it.

Its temporary in the sense that its the likely location of the 4th dry park. They're likely repeating the plans of the original campus, build one park with a huge lot, then when ready, build garages across the street and build a new theme park over the existing parking lot. Like the original lot, I think it will last for about 10 years, give or take a few years (8 at the original park) . Hey, its better than the Magic replacing a parking garage with retail with an asphalt lot lol.

• Like 2

The Motley Fool thinks Universal should concede the battle to the Mouse as the industry leader rolls out the heavy artillery with E-ticket launches between now and the 50th anniversary of MK.

Once Disney pauses to catch its breath in 2022, Uni can rejoin the battle with a full onslaught featuring its newest Park.

In the meantime, it recommends figuring out how to connect the battlefields across a wide swath of property.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/news/disney-world-apos-top-foe-213400723.html

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Motley Fool thinks Universal should concede the battle to the Mouse as the industry leader rolls out the heavy artillery with E-ticket launches between now and the 50th anniversary of MK.

Once Disney pauses to catch its breath in 2022, Uni can rejoin the battle with a full onslaught featuring its newest Park.

In the meantime, it recommends figuring out how to connect the battlefields across a wide swath of property.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/news/disney-world-apos-top-foe-213400723.html

Well the new park won’t be opening till 2023, so they may be right. Although, I think the Kidzone replacement and Jurassic Park coaster may come earlier.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

Well the new park won’t be opening till 2023, so they may be right. Although, I think the Kidzone replacement and Jurassic Park coaster may come earlier.

The park could open 2022 based on the permitting, which is obviously very subject to delays, but it will not be before then... I think we'll get the JP coaster and maybe a partial kidzone replacement but probably not a full replacement. They just renovated parts of kidzone in the last month or so. They're saving all the best for the new park now. Disney will just get more people to the market, so if Universal can continue to peel off the last couple days before they go home, its even more people they have the opportunity to do that with. All rumors are the new park is designed to compete with MK, targeting the younger age group then the current Universal parks do. They've got just as deep pockets now and seem to be very worried about Disney in every regard, Comcast is going for it all. Universal can't slow down or they'll lose the progress they've made catching up on the mouse.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aent said:

Its temporary in the sense that its the likely location of the 4th dry park. They're likely repeating the plans of the original campus, build one park with a huge lot, then when ready, build garages across the street and build a new theme park over the existing parking lot. Like the original lot, I think it will last for about 10 years, give or take a few years (8 at the original park) . Hey, its better than the Magic replacing a parking garage with retail with an asphalt lot lol.

Wow! was it really only 8 years?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aent said:

The park could open 2022 based on the permitting, which is obviously very subject to delays, but it will not be before then... I think we'll get the JP coaster and maybe a partial kidzone replacement but probably not a full replacement. They just renovated parts of kidzone in the last month or so. They're saving all the best for the new park now. Disney will just get more people to the market, so if Universal can continue to peel off the last couple days before they go home, its even more people they have the opportunity to do that with. All rumors are the new park is designed to compete with MK, targeting the younger age group then the current Universal parks do. They've got just as deep pockets now and seem to be very worried about Disney in every regard, Comcast is going for it all. Universal can't slow down or they'll lose the progress they've made catching up on the mouse.

I hope this is not another kids/family attraction, we have to many rides catered to families already.  I wish we could have more thrill base attractions. Lets bring a DC Universe theme park here!!!! Unfortunately, that won't happen........ 

14 minutes ago, tc01 said:

I hope this is not another kids/family attraction, we have to many rides catered to families already.  I wish we could have more thrill base attractions. Lets bring a DC Universe theme park here!!!! Unfortunately, that won't happen........ 

There's always Busch Gardens (or the zip line at Gatorland!)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tc01 said:

Universal has a huge shortage of that and is losing out on that demographic entirely, although supposedly they should be good to non-family groups too, pretty much exactly like Magic Kingdom. Rumors (that I believe the most) are Super Nintendo World (Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda), Pokemon, Trolls, Dreamworks,  Monsters, Harry Potter Fantastic Beasts

Big news! Whirlpool has been named the Official Kitchen and Laundry Appliances of the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts.

So hurry on out and buy a refrigerator tonight - no word if you get a pair of mouse ears to put on top...

https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/whirlpool-named-as-the-official-appliance-of-disney-parks/

From WDW News Today

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Big news! Whirlpool has been named the Official Kitchen and Laundry Appliances of the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts.

So hurry on out and buy a refrigerator tonight - no word if you get a pair of mouse ears to put on top...

https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/whirlpool-named-as-the-official-appliance-of-disney-parks/

From WDW News Today

are these domestic or import appliances?  The Orange Pumpkin King might get ticked if they're imports.

• Haha 1