Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

26 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

^^

I've seen Quantum from RCI up close at the Port of Call slip and it was really cool.  very big.  Larger than the Freedom.  But now, the Freed om is old news because of the Oasis.  And, last I read, they are rotating the Oasis and the Harmony at PC.

PC is scheduled to be home port to Carnival's newest largest vessel which is u/c somewhere oversees.  That says a lot for a company based in Miami to do that.

I think with the exception of RC's Quantum and another one from a different line, the Norwegian ships as a whole are currently the biggest. 

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I think with the exception of RC's Quantum and another one from a different line, the Norwegian ships as a whole are currently the biggest. 

...you mean the Oasis class and Quantum class at RC...(Oasis class being the "double wide" ships with atrium in between)…

Yeah, exciting stuff.  you hit the nail on the head about going to that restaurant on the water adjacent to Terminal 1.  I was last there when Freedom was at Terminal 1 temporarily.  Imagine the Oasis class with it's double wide @ss right in your face while you eat.  Glorious...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

...you mean the Oasis class and Quantum class at RC...(Oasis class being the "double wide" ships with atrium in between)…

Yeah, exciting stuff.  you hit the nail on the head about going to that restaurant on the water adjacent to Terminal 1.  I was last there when Freedom was at Terminal 1 temporarily.  Imagine the Oasis class with it's double wide @ss right in your face while you eat.  Glorious...

Well, the Epic, which is the one that's there right now, is a Norwegian and I'm pretty sure it's as big as the Quantum or the Oasis.

I think the schedule that said 4 pm departure time was wrong though.

They're still loading up supplies as I post this at 4:07 pm.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

* ponders why I have never had the tiniest interest in going on a cruise while Jack Jones croons in the background*

I saw an article about that ship. Back in it's day, it was considered a top of the line vessel. But compared to the cruise ships of today, it was more like a rowboat. 

It was decommissioned and scrapped years ago.

I'm not as interested in going on a cruise as I am just watching the ships arrive and depart.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well, the Epic, which is the one that's there right now, is a Norwegian and I'm pretty sure it's as big as the Quantum or the Oasis.

Well, here's the deelio on these ships.  The Oasis class are like a little bit longer (if at all) than say the Epic and Quantum, but, the big difference is the displacement because they are almost twice as wide.  That's why they have that atrium in the center.  They are pretty revolutionary.  When they christened the Quantum, it was merely the most high tech of the line, not the largest.  The Oasis class is like an A-380.  The Epic is like a 777 or even a 747.  That's the difference.

Oasis:

225,000 tons, 1,181ft length

Quantum:

168,000 tons; 1,142ft length

Epic:

155,000 tons, 1,081ft length

See what I mean?

^^

Height differential:  236' (Oasis) to 200' (Epic).  That's about 4 ship stories difference.  Fantastic screen shots.  But, Epic has 19 decks and Oasis has 16 decks.

Don't get me wrong, the Epic is a fantastic ship and I was so excited that Norwegian was bringing it to PC, because it wasn't just RCI bringing in its largest vessels (RCI and DCL, that is).  And now, even Carnival will bring in it's newest largest vessel in a couple of years time.  It's a great standard to set.

But I'd also like to see some new brands to the market, like Princess.

Edited by jrs2

On 12/5/2018 at 5:20 PM, jrs2 said:

Well, here's the deelio on these ships.  The Oasis class are like a little bit longer (if at all) than say the Epic and Quantum, but, the big difference is the displacement because they are almost twice as wide.  That's why they have that atrium in the center.  They are pretty revolutionary.  When they christened the Quantum, it was merely the most high tech of the line, not the largest.  The Oasis class is like an A-380.  The Epic is like a 777 or even a 747.  That's the difference.

jrs nailed it.  The Oasis-class are just this on a whole nother level.  But at this point, any "flagship" vessel is going to be incredible.  I was shocked when they announced they were making a new new biggest, because the one downside I've heard of oasis-class over the years is that it's almost *too* big.

I haven't done the FishLips watch the ships leave in a few years.  Highly recommend.

Theme Park Insider compares the opening of Harry Potter at IOA in 2010 with a guess about Galaxy’s Edge in 2019.

While it’s more about how Disneyland will be affected in the summer than WDW next fall, it’s still a fascinating look at how the industry handles logistics:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201812/6460/

Edited by spenser1058

Theme Park Insider compares the opening of Harry Potter at IOA in 2010 with a guess about Galaxy’s Edge in 2019.

While it’s more about how Disneyland will be affected in the summer than WDW next fall, it’s still a fascinating look at how the industry handles logistics:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201812/6460/

Disneyland aside, SW:GE will likely totally overwhelm DHS (a park with far too few things to do to dispense the crowds appropriately). 

While SW:GE is an expansion of Disneyland Park (with its 50+ rides / attractions), it is a replacement at DHS (currently down to 6 rides / attractions). 

I would be far more concerned on opening day at DHS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Disneyland aside, SW:GE will likely totally overwhelm DHS (a park with far too few things to do to dispense the crowds appropriately). 

While SW:GE is an expansion of Disneyland Park (with its 50+ rides / attractions), it is a replacement at DHS (currently down to 6 rides / attractions). 

I would be far more concerned on opening day at DHS.

They’ll just have to use their park hoppers and grab a lift on the new Skyliner and bolt for Epcot (which may explain why they’re waiting to open ours in the fall when the weather’s better and less likely to sideline the gondolas, or so we can hope...)

They’ll just have to use their park hoppers and grab a lift on the new Skyliner and bolt for Epcot (which may explain why they’re waiting to open ours in the fall when the weather’s better and less likely to sideline the gondolas, or so we can hope...)

May also explain why they are expanding France (the Rat ride, Beauty & the Beast show) and a rumored Mary Poppins ride in UK (both near the Skyliner station rather than choosing to put a ride deeper into the world showcase). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

May also explain why they are expanding France (the Rat ride, Beauty & the Beast show) and a rumored Mary Poppins ride in UK (both near the Skyliner station rather than choosing to put a ride deeper into the world showcase). 

“The. Rat ride...”. - I like that so much!

• Thanks 1

Just to clear on the cruise ship talk:

In the top 20 largest cruise ships in the world, Royal Caribbean owns 10 of them and, probably more impressively, all those 10 are in in the Top 15.

Top 20

1. Royal Caribbean 10
  2. Norwegian - 4
  3. MSC - 3
  4. Dream Cruises  - 2 (Chinese Company out of Hong Kong doing Chinese tours and really only got competitive in 2016 and also owns a minority share of Norwegian)
  5. Cunard (Queen Mary 2) - 1

In the 200,000+ GT range, there are currently only 4 ships and they are all Royal Caribbean Oasis-class ships.

There are 7 ships in the 200,000+ GT range being built right now.  3 Royal Caribbean, 2 Dream, and 2 MSC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sheer volume of cruise ships is stunning.  I got sucked into an internet wormhole reading about them.

• RC - 25 ships, with 5 more in the chute
  • Norwegian - 16 ships, with 7 more in the chute
  • MSC - 15 ships, with 14 more in the chute
  • Carnival - 26 ships, with 5 more in the chute
  • Disney - 4 ships, with 3 more in the chute
  • Celebrity - 12 ships, with 5 more in the chute
  • AIDA - 12 ships, with 4 more in the chute
  • Dream - 2 ships, with 2 more in the chute
  • P&O - 7 ships, with 2 more in the chute
  • Princess - 17 ships, with 5 more in the chute

There are other brands and sub-brands, but this was just a quick list of the ones I saw with large ships.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, W7edwin said:

that hotel/suite on I-Drive by Artegon Mall is almost done

IMG_8039.thumb.JPG.3d1187ab7c94693915118716a491ae37.JPG

this project is sooo relevant to I-Drive for several reasons. 

It may look unimaginative in architecture, but people need to remember that this project had stalled during early construction for like 3-4 years straight.  It was an eye sore on I-Drive (but not as big as the now-Crowne Plaza hotel once was when that 10+ story project stalled out for several years before it was altered and completed several years ago).  And this is on the north end of I-Drive, which needs help.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

this project is sooo relevant to I-Drive for several reasons. 

It may look unimaginative in architecture, but people need to remember that this project had stalled during early construction for like 3-4 years straight.  It was an eye sore on I-Drive (but not as big as the now-Crowne Plaza hotel once was when that 10+ story project stalled out for several years before it was altered and completed several years ago).  And this is on the north end of I-Drive, which needs help.  

They were having a turtle race to see if they could be as slow as God’s skyscraper.

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2018 at 5:20 PM, jrs2 said:

Oasis:

225,000 tons, 1,181ft length

Quantum:

168,000 tons; 1,142ft length

Epic:

155,000 tons, 1,081ft length

See what I mean?

They can’t possibly make them any bigger. *quickly realizes he’ll probably be eating crow in a couple of years*

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, spenser1058 said:

They were having a turtle race to see if they could be as slow as God’s skyscraper.

...I think they would lose that turtle race with the Bowers folks...

25 minutes ago, Dale said:

They can’t possibly make them any bigger. *quickly realizes he’ll probably be eating crow in a couple of years*

I wonder.

Presently, Port of Tampa can't handle these larger, taller, ships b/c of the lack of clearance under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  I wonder how many of these situations exist elsewhere that might curtail their ever growing sizes.  Definitely not at PC, Port Everglades, or Port of Miami, the three busiest ports en el mundo.

• Like 1

WDW purchases BK Ranch and adds 965 acres to their holdings.

It’s likely to serve as environmental mitigation for development of additional parks or resorts on Disney’s current property rather than for other uses.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/12/breaking-disney-buys-965-acres-of-ranch-land-near-celebration/

From WDW News Today

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

I love how the Florida HSR page seems to think Disney is going to develop all this land.  This screams wetland mitigation.  Which means they have big plans for the main campus, but it also ensures Poinciana is going to stay down there and you're likely not gonna see anything fill in between Poinciana and Kissimmee/Celebration.

• Thanks 2