Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

That^ and part of Disney's master plan from the very beginning was to keep a significant buffer between their parks and the surrounding development that they knew would be inevitable.

Their experience in Anaheim taught them the value of creating their own private little world, tucked away and secluded from all the non-Disney commercial sprawl.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

You mean to tell me Disney doesn't like stuff like this outside their gate?  I'm shocked! Shocked I say!

image.thumb.png.37dfe3dc12036d23d87ef52cd36441ba.png

No, they don't.

That's why the actual gates of the parks like The Magic Kingdom and EPCOT are a good five miles from the tacky 192 strip, with nothing but their own resorts and undeveloped woodland in between.

Edited by JFW657

• 2 weeks later...

The Hollywood Plaza parking garage is FINALLY having its "grand opening" new years eve. Anyone know if hulk's shop is still open in the old 7-11? Its no longer slated for hollywood plaza, so they lost their only 2 tenants apparently, and only just now got 1 new one for their 3 spaces, I guess thats why its taking forever.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/12/27/i-drive-hollywood-plaza-to-kick-off-new-years-eve.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 5:37 PM, aent said:

The Hollywood Plaza parking garage is FINALLY having its "grand opening" new years eve. Anyone know if hulk's shop is still open in the old 7-11? Its no longer slated for hollywood plaza, so they lost their only 2 tenants apparently, and only just now got 1 new one for their 3 spaces, I guess thats why its taking forever.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/12/27/i-drive-hollywood-plaza-to-kick-off-new-years-eve.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search

I think it’s still open.  My theory is that this is bad for the Skyplex project, and Hulk probably said I ain’t moving until I absolutely have to, I.e., close in time to when Skyplex breaks ground.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, orlandoguy said:

+ OS’s take:

I-Drive gets nearly 900 parking spaces next to Mango's Tropical Cafe

http://bit.ly/2LzNyo0

...been waiting like a hawk for it to open.  Saw it the other night and I wasn’t sure if it was actually open.

I-Drive 360:  Element Hotel:

Wow, there’s not an I-Drive 360 thread?

Anyway, McFaddens has been demolished and they are doing site prep for The Element or whatever hotel (from PRISA Group (Millennia dual brand hotel)) to take it’s spot, right next to the dinner theatre and near the Eye garage.  I think this will be the first piece of the gradual redevelopment of the property, ala, redoing the traffic lanes, reclaiming surface parking for other developments, etc.  One of their other announced projects is an apartment building near the Eye on the Universal Blvd side to be built on the surface parking there.  A big improvement once it’s done.

Edited by jrs2

11 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think it’s still open.  My theory is that this is bad for the Skyplex project, and Hulk probably said I ain’t moving until I absolutely have to, I.e., close in time to when Skyplex breaks ground.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, orlandoguy said:

Considering Skyplex is probably dependant on him getting those spaces leased, it sounds like the shop will either disappear entirely at that point or at least have to close for quite some time while the area is rebuilt... It doesn't sound like Hulk wants it long term anymore....

• Like 1

WDW News Today is reporting Disney has purchased 1500 more acres, the old Oren Brown ranch.

It’s next to the BK Ranch they just bought and will likely be used for conservation and mitigation.

It does suggest, however, they may be planning even more intensive use of current guest areas and Flamingo Crossing.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/disney-acquires-even-more-osceola-county-land-for-11-million/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

WDW News Today is reporting Disney has purchased 1500 more acres, the old Oren Brown ranch.

It’s next to the BK Ranch they just bought and will likely be used for conservation and mitigation.

It does suggest, however, they may be planning even more intensive use of current guest areas and Flamingo Crossing.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/disney-acquires-even-more-osceola-county-land-for-11-million/

Hmmm...

WDW's strategy is expanding within it's footprint that's in the center of undeveloped land, whereas, Universal's strategy, is and will be a combination of that plus the current urban redevelopment they are doing with their WetnWild property.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's what she said. . . 

...yeah... I walked into that one!

14 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Saw this today. Almost lost my crap haha

20190110_161421.jpg

I saw this three times already and I keep forgetting to report on it or take a photo.  

This too, is a monster...and that’s one of the “wings” I believe and not even the tallest point on the thing...

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

...yeah... I walked into that one!

I saw this three times already and I keep forgetting to report on it or take a photo.  

This too, is a monster...and that’s one of the “wings” I believe and not even the tallest point on the thing...

That's amazing. It's certainly an eye opener to someone who is used to the parking lot.

• Like 1

So Skyplex is supposedly getting ready to start, but its been split into multiple phases. The first phase will be just the tower with the coaster and other tower attractions, no retail, no hotel, etc. Infact, I'd imagine the existing businesses are staying foot and its just being built behind them for the moment,so maybe it makes sense why Hogan's shop didn't move

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They have the Dowdy land and the old Fun & Wheels land that gives them an opportunity to build before they knock down Burger King/Hogans/Perkins.  I believe the agreement with Perkins requires them to incorporate a new Perkins in the same location.  Might be the same thing with Burger King.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 9:42 AM, aent said:

So Skyplex is supposedly getting ready to start, but its been split into multiple phases. The first phase will be just the tower with the coaster and other tower attractions, no retail, no hotel, etc. Infact, I'd imagine the existing businesses are staying foot and its just being built behind them for the moment,so maybe it makes sense why Hogan's shop didn't move

So the alignment of the tower itself places it close to Canadien Court, right?

Also, retail-wise, I think the Mango’s group is quickly realizing after the mishap with Circo that finding retail tenants isn’t as easy as it sounds.

Edited by jrs2