Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Two new coasters at Universal, the Hagrid's motorcycle ride at Harry Potter and the new Jurassic park coaster. Plus, we still don't know what the new theme park will have. They just keep going to outdo each other, and it is very cool. Add to that SW, and the new I-drive attractions, and it is pretty cool, making us still a valid international travel destination. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Two new coasters at Universal, the Hagrid's motorcycle ride at Harry Potter and the new Jurassic park coaster. Plus, we still don't know what the new theme park will have. They just keep going to outdo each other, and it is very cool. Add to that SW, and the new I-drive attractions, and it is pretty cool, making us still a valid international travel destination. 

Let’s not forget:

Epcot: Guardians coaster, Rat in France 

DHS: Mickey ride

MK: Tron coaster in TL

The gondola across the resort 

Seaworld: Sesame Street 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yas!  

I really, really want the Poler-Coaster though, as stated on other thread. That would be so cool and a real game changer for I-drive, non-huge conglomerate entertainment. I hope it happens! 

We already have non-huge conglomerate entertainment- Gatorland! 60+ years and better than ever! (Gotta love the zip line over the Gators...)

• Like 1

I love Gatorland. And Tree-Umph! 

I also love the giant corporate theme parks as well. (although I hate standing in lines). All good, and serve their own purposes. 

If the theme parks did not exist, do you all think that anybody in Europe would know about Jernigan, Florida? 

'Tis a double- edged sword, that conundrum, but I think we benefit more than not. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I love Gatorland. And Tree-Umph! 

I also love the giant corporate theme parks as well. (although I hate standing in lines). All good, and serve their own purposes. 

If the theme parks did not exist, do you all think that anybody in Europe would know about Jernigan, Florida? 

'Tis a double- edged sword, that conundrum, but I think we benefit more than not. 

Before Disney changed everything, Orlando was becoming something of a tech economy (and much more closely tied to Brevard County - my dad commuted daily to the Space Coast in the Right Stuff era).

You’re right, we wouldn’t be as famous (or as big), but the economy and wage scales would be entirely different. 

A double-edge sword indeed.

It’s also interesting to think of the other parts of our economy that we might have fought harder to keep if it weren’t for tourism.

The military used to be huge in Orlando, with two large bases. After the ‘83 and ‘84 freezes, instead of selling all the dead groves for subdivisions, the citrus growers would have been more likely to replant. Osceola County might still be into ranching.

Of course, if all that were true, this would still probably be a very conservative Republican wonderland with little tolerance for diversity and I wouldn’t have returned when I did. My plans to live in Atlanta would have likely stayed intact and my life would have been very different. 

It’s amazing to think how much things changed in my hometown during the course of my life. It’s something no one in the family would ever have imagined if they hadn’t lived it.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

I know you’ll all be anxious to sign up for the new “World of Dreams” tour at WDW. It’s only $12000, so call now! Additional days are only $10000!

https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/new-world-of-dreams-12000-tour-being-offered-at-walt-disney-world-offers-cinderella-castle-suite-access-and-more/

From WDW News Today

• Thanks 1

so it is an attraction LOL.  I meant to put this under metro Orlando construction but I guess divine intervention made me put it here under Attractions.  Thanks for the update!

Okay this is really an attraction.  The Icon 360 ferris wheel.  I was going to go up today but I want a sunny day for my $30 ticket.  And can someone please tell me why there is a huge parking garage at Sand Lake and International Drive? I did not see a hotel or anything with it.  Is parking that much of a problem on I-Drive?

Today and photo overload I am one of those damn camera toting tourists! 

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8920.JPG

IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8925.JPG

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

so it is an attraction LOL.  I meant to put this under metro Orlando construction but I guess divine intervention made me put it here under Attractions.  Thanks for the update!

Okay this is really an attraction.  The Icon 360 ferris wheel.  I was going to go up today but I want a sunny day for my $30 ticket.  And can someone please tell me why there is a huge parking garage at Sand Lake and International Drive? I did not see a hotel or anything with it.  Is parking that much of a problem on I-Drive?

Today and photo overload I am one of those damn camera toting tourists! 

IMG_8918.JPG

The developer of Mango's built it.  Mango's is next door.  The logic of it was for I-Drive parking, and, Mango's parking, so that, per code, Mango's could finally open up their rooftop bar. 

The structure is also designed to house a rooftop restaurant and ground level retail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

The developer of Mango's built it.  Mango's is next door.  The logic of it was for I-Drive parking, and, Mango's parking, so that, per code, Mango's could finally open up their rooftop bar. 

The structure is also designed to house a rooftop restaurant and ground level retail.

Okay I see now what it is a bunch of nightclubs, restaurants etc.  One thing that has stayed the same on I Drive is every known chain restaurant from the US is located on there somewhere and many times multiple locations.  

• Like 1

Yes, and the parking garage was one of the first couple of components of the Developer's plan for several more phases of the complex around it. However, it also provides the added benefit of revenue generation to help pay for ongoing build-out of the later phases. There is a need for parking in the area, and it also serves as generation of cash flow to help finance the payoff of existing debt as well as part of financing future projects. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yes, and the parking garage was one of the first couple of components of the Developer's plan for several more phases of the complex around it. However, it also provides the added benefit of revenue generation to help pay for ongoing build-out of the later phases. There is a need for parking in the area, and it also serves as generation of cash flow to help finance the payoff of existing debt as well as part of financing future projects. 

and since I try to avoid paid parking at all costs I will note that for my next visit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1