Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

1970’s and ‘80’s garden motels are rapidly being replaced by mid rises and towers as Orlando matures as a destination. Look also for a resurgence of the Kissimmee/US 192 area after a 20-year slump:

https://orlando-rising.com/what-to-expect-from-orlando-hotels-in-2019/

From Orlando Rising

Have you seen Kirkman Rd at I4 lately? Between all the new hotels and Ultimate work going on, it is totally transformed (I miss the patch of woods in the median, though).

Kissimmee may actually be figuring this out finally.  What the article doesn’t mention is Kissimmee’s long-term masterplan for W192, parts of which are starting to be realized — notably, the transition from a fully tourism based cooridor to residential use.  The Storylane development (at 192, Apopka Vineland, Osceola Pkwy) alone is bringing in thousands of additional residents at a junction that has been in a slumber for 20 years.

Apartment complexes are sprouting up in place of abandoned strip malls, or in the case of the old Water Mania site, an abandoned water park. Celebration’s impact on that stretch of 192 cannot be overstated.

A recent article regarding the master plan also calls for toning down the gimmicky color patterns of the streetscape. Goodbye purple streetlamps, hello green.

Of course, this is a painstaking and slow recovery. Kissimmee needs to dig itself out of a bigger hole than probably any comparable central Florida city. Shedding that image as “the Florida project” is not going to be easy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Kissimmee may actually be figuring this out finally.  What the article doesn’t mention is Kissimmee’s long-term masterplan for W192, parts of which are starting to be realized — notably, the transition from a fully tourism based cooridor to residential use.  The Storylane development (at 192, Apopka Vineland, Osceola Pkwy) alone is bringing in thousands of additional residents at a junction that has been in a slumber for 20 years.

Apartment complexes are sprouting up in place of abandoned strip malls, or in the case of the old Water Mania site, an abandoned water park. Celebration’s impact on that stretch of 192 cannot be overstated.

A recent article regarding the master plan also calls for toning down the gimmicky color patterns of the streetscape. Goodbye purple streetlamps, hello green.

Of course, this is a painstaking and slow recovery. Kissimmee needs to dig itself out of a bigger hole than probably any comparable central Florida city. Shedding that image as “the Florida project” is not going to be easy.

Hopefully, no teal!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Hopefully, no teal!

I assume they’ll match the green that is already used on 192 outside Celebration — the color scheme that the Celebration Co. (then still Disney) insisted upon all along. Once you head east past Celebration, it turns purple (or if you go west beyond the main entrance to Disney). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Oops! Orlando code enforcers stop work at former Arredondo/Festival Bay for lack of proper permits by new owners:

https://www.wftv.com/amp/news/local/orlando-code-enforcement-orders-work-to-stop-on-dezerland-action-park/918446580

From WFTV

Yep, this place is cursed. Time to just tear it down and build a Wawa (it’s already equidistant between two 7-Elevens)?

I wouldn't look too much into it. This happened a few months ago as well, and apparently the city was claiming that the car museum needed to be zoned as a dealership, because the cars were placed outside before they were moved inside of the building. Which made no sense at all obviously, the cars aren't for sale, and there is no way to get the cars inside of the building without them being outside first :tw_confounded:

We don't know the extent of the alleged violations, if its just some angry inspector/code enforcement officer quibbling over something really minor, or what the real story is.

Edited by aent

14 hours ago, aent said:

I wouldn't look too much into it. This happened a few months ago as well, and apparently the city was claiming that the car museum needed to be zoned as a dealership, because the cars were placed outside before they were moved inside of the building. Which made no sense at all obviously, the cars aren't for sale, and there is no way to get the cars inside of the building without them being outside first :tw_confounded:

We don't know the extent of the alleged violations, if its just some angry inspector/code enforcement officer quibbling over something really minor, or what the real story is.

That’s a fair point  and February is a sweeps month so WFTV may just be churning ratings.

Edited by spenser1058

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

An city or county (as the case may be) rep, said on the news that they'd knocked out and relocated some interior walls and did some electrical work without permits.

They hate that.  Big no-no.

Yeah, but they said that it wasn't zoned for that use a few months ago, and that turned out to be entirely wrong. There probably is some angst. They have some permits. Could be something confusing on  a drawing, an extra outlet was moved that wasn't on an original print, or something just as minor. And from my experience, since this department already was wrong once with the same project, it could simply be a way to try to get back at them and say "don't mess with us", I've dealt with many inspectors like that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

… and those purple street lamps aren't even that old; they put them up when they widened and improved US 192 in the late '90's-early 2000's. shows how they were still fixated on the '80's style of vacation coloring.

4 hours ago, aent said:

Yeah, but they said that it wasn't zoned for that use a few months ago, and that turned out to be entirely wrong. There probably is some angst. They have some permits. Could be something confusing on  a drawing, an extra outlet was moved that wasn't on an original print, or something just as minor. And from my experience, since this department already was wrong once with the same project, it could simply be a way to try to get back at them and say "don't mess with us", I've dealt with many inspectors like that.

yeah, sometimes that can get a little out of hand.

Gondola testing for the Disney Skyliner between DHS and Epcot:

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/going-up-walt-disney-world-is-already-testing-its-new-skyliner-gondola-system/918951065

From WFTV

(Now I’m having flashbacks to my days working at the Skyway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland back when I was young and pretty...)

• Like 3

Universal updated filings with Orange County today for their newest property near Martin.

Updates include access roads from the west and a large surface parking lot to the east.

All of you who hate acres of asphalt may scream “BOO!” Now. Feel better?

https://www.wftv.com/amp/news/local/new-details-emerge-on-universal-orlando-s-expansion-plans-for-new-park-coaster/919045367

From WFTV 

The latest hotel developments at Flamingo Crossing, Disney’s westside development along FL 429 (the Webster):

From WDW News Today 

https://wdwnt.com/2019/02/hampton-inn-suites-coming-to-walt-disney-worlds-flamingo-crossings-according-to-permits/

Edited by spenser1058

42 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

All of you who hate acres of asphalt may scream “BOO!” Now. Feel better?

I imagine the plan is that the surface lot is temporary, with it being the site of eventual dry park #4. I think we'll be seeing things turn out exactly the same way as they did at the north campus, so within a decade, the surface lots will be replaced by garages as they need the space.

37 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I really hate how Universal is not utilizing the space they have. What a waste.

Universal is pretty much out of space at their current site. Are you referring to the new development?

I’ve always thought Universal has done an impressive job at utilizing the space they have, given their land restrictions (similar to Disneyland Resort Anaheim).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

Universal is pretty much out of space at their current site. Are you referring to the new development?

I’ve always thought Universal has done an impressive job at utilizing the space they have, given their land restrictions (similar to Disneyland Resort Anaheim).

I should be clearer.

I'm not really a fan of any of the proposals I've seen for their new land so far

4 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I should be clearer.

I'm not really a fan of any of the proposals I've seen for their new land so far

If I get Trek I’ll be excited. Otherwise, I’m meh but, hey, it’s good for the economy.

It’s going to be interesting to see what the transit piece will be, though.

More on Universal from Forbes. Of interest to me is that tourism was a $70 billion business for Orlando in 2017.

It’s kind of odd that some folks don’t take it seriously and think we should just say, “never mind”, and do something else to keep everyone working.

Tourism certainly has its weaknesses but, one thing’s for sure, it would be hard to pick up Cinderella Castle and move it, not to mention all the infrastructure involved.

That’s something you can’t say for tech or back-office financial.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmapocock/2019/02/12/universal-orlando-prepares-to-add-new-harry-potter-ride-in-2019/amp/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I should be clearer.

Rumors are a lot will be packed in very little space, it will be a much "bigger" theme park then the current ones without much more acrage. Unless you're referring to the parking lot, but again, its temporary and likely to be replaced by a second theme park, just as Universal did at their original property. They don't have land space to waste if they're doing 4 dry parks, 2 wet parks, plus many more hotels, like we've heard rumored, unless they can get the Lockheed land, and no signs of that happening.

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If I get Trek I’ll be excited. Otherwise, I’m meh but, hey, it’s good for the economy.

It’s going to be interesting to see what the transit piece will be, though.

can you imagine...now work with me for a minute...

Klingons and Ferengi and Romulans and Starfleet personnel walking around this new park?  I mean..  if that doesn't elicit a Trek-gasm I don't know what would.

Is Trek still in play for Comcast?

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

can you imagine...now work with me for a minute...

Klingons and Ferengi and Romulans and Starfleet personnel walking around this new park?  I mean..  if that doesn't elicit a Trek-gasm I don't know what would.

Is Trek still in play for Comcast?

I haven’t heard anything lately but Trek seems to be embracing that its destiny is on the small screen and going all out there. Hopefully, Ken Storey will have an update soon. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aent said:

Rumors are a lot will be packed in very little space, it will be a much "bigger" theme park then the current ones without much more acrage. Unless you're referring to the parking lot, but again, its temporary and likely to be replaced by a second theme park, just as Universal did at their original property. They don't have land space to waste if they're doing 4 dry parks, 2 wet parks, plus many more hotels, like we've heard rumored, unless they can get the Lockheed land, and no signs of that happening.

I think he's talking about the two new resorts at WetnWild.  After seeing how they squeezed Aventura tower between Sapphire and the road, I have to say that the two new hotels at WetnWild are a major letdown.  I just don't know, for me, how Universal could dump Aventura's design in favor of buildings even less memorable than itself and Cabana Bay's tall towers.  It's like they went completely backwards.

When I was at the Zoning hearings on Skyplex, a guy there was saying how he saw theme plans for the WetnWild property that included an entertainment complex, etc., which is why Universal was so against Skyplex.  Well, if true, what we got, was...eh...

Personally, I feel that Aventura proved you could have a tall tower as a resort hotel that guests would gravitate to, which would in turn save space for future projects and expansions.  Tilt wall prefab is like scrapping the Space Shuttle in favor of a space capsule last seen in the '60's, aka, Orion.

So that might be part of his basis I think...of which sentiment I concur with...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I think he's talking about the two new resorts at WetnWild.  After seeing how they squeezed Aventura tower between Sapphire and the road, I have to say that the two new hotels at WetnWild are a major letdown.  I just don't know, for me, how Universal could dump Aventura's design in favor of buildings even less memorable than itself and Cabana Bay's tall towers.  It's like they went completely backwards.

When I was at the Zoning hearings on Skyplex, a guy there was saying how he saw theme plans for the WetnWild property that included an entertainment complex, etc., which is why Universal was so against Skyplex.  Well, if true, what we got, was...eh...

Personally, I feel that Aventura proved you could have a tall tower as a resort hotel that guests would gravitate to, which would in turn save space for future projects and expansions.  Tilt wall prefab is like scrapping the Space Shuttle in favor of a space capsule last seen in the '60's, aka, Orion.

So that might be part of his basis I think...of which sentiment I concur with...

Endless Summer is directly between the new campuses, and not really walking distance to either. Its supposed to be the lowest cost resort they build due to the location, and I don't think they want to drive those from other resorts there, since they're more likely to venture off to I-Drive. Considering the price point, I think they are doing a good job on what they're building. I was concerned with the tilt wall construction, but I think they're managing to make it look nice and fitting for the area... yeah, its not as high end as everything else they're building and going to build, but it still has the feeling of more density, and is still unique with multiple supersized murals on the sides of the buildings. Yeah, its not there best resort, but its still better then whats on most of I-Drive and continues a trend in the right direction (especially if this is there lowest end, budget product, which is what they're saying).

DzUwRZlW0AEIRvM.jpg
Edited by aent
  • Like 2

I haven’t heard anything lately but Trek seems to be embracing that its destiny is on the small screen and going all out there.

CBS and Nickelodeon announced yesterday they’re developing a Star Trek animated series:

https://news.avclub.com/nickelodeon-is-making-a-new-star-trek-animated-series-f-1832608213
  • Like 3