Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Could some sort of hotel finally be developed on the site of WDW’s long-delayed Venetian Resort?

Orlando Weekly’s Ken Storey says it may finally be possible:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/02/25/disney-worlds-next-big-hotel-might-be-built-on-land-previously-thought-undevelopable?media=AMP+HTML

what is the TTC area ala non-Disney buses?  Are they talking about where the Monorail station is?

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Could some sort of hotel finally be developed on the site of WDW’s long-delayed Venetian Resort?

Orlando Weekly’s Ken Storey says it may finally be possible:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/02/25/disney-worlds-next-big-hotel-might-be-built-on-land-previously-thought-undevelopable?media=AMP+HTML

“Rumor” has it the Four Seasons at Golden Oak has cut into Disney’s luxury hotel market and brand. This may be the site of a resort with the intention to lure back some of that clientele.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ragerunner said:

Here is a look at  the $1 Billion in development taking place at Disney's Hollywood Studios including Star Wars Galaxy Edge, Mickey and Minnie's Railway and more.

By the end of the year this park should finally be one of the best at WDW.

https://youtu.be/qkNU7t_54Xo

Welcome to the Orlando forum!

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

A good deep dive into the rumors surrounding Epcot’s Spaceship Earth refurbishment and how a two-year rehab could play out:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/spaceship-earth-2-year-overhaul-rumors/

From Disney Tourist Blog 

Interesting read. Epcot's future world is definitely in for major upgrades and changes. 

Along with Disney, Universal is developing a lot of new attractions and resorts. Some of these projects include the new Hagrid's Motorbike Coaster that opens on June 13, the rumored Jurassic coaster (2020), a new Bourne attraction (2019) and the massive Endless Summer Resorts. Of course the biggest news is the massive new resort area and park by the Convention Center that they are building. This investment will probably be in the $6 billion range.

Edited by ragerunner
  • Like 1

If the Universal South Property Park and development moves forward Orlando will see about $10 billion in theme park development over the next 5 years (between, Disney, Universal and Sea World). That is a lot of investment that will give the Orlando economy a very strong footing even if the rest of the US economy continues to weaken.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Permits filed: Innoventions West at Epcot soon to be toast as Project G gets underway:

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/innoventions-east-demolition-permits-filed-character-spot-starbucks-and-club-cool-set-to-close-at-epcot/

From WDW News Today 

Innoventions to me was Innoventions back in 1997-98 when they would showcase new tech.  Back then, they had new to market and new technology Sega Dreamcasts on display (they probably were doing the same thing since back when they opened in '82). 

Now that was cool and reflected what I think the purpose of that building was supposed to be.  Since then, it has turned into just a multi-purpose space.  A real shame...  the luster of what EPCOT was supposed to be, a showcase of tech and themed futuristic  yet functional environments devolved into a Disney character marketing platform.

• Thanks 1

Interesting photo tour of the now shuttered Treasure Island/ Discovery Island.

"On the official map of Disney World, there is a blank green mass in the middle of Bay Lake in Orlando, Florida. The mysterious island is not labeled and no one is allowed to enter — not Disney World guests and not even Disney World employees. But two decades ago this unlabeled island was actually another Disney amusement park called Discovery Island. It mysteriously closed in 1999"

https://www.thisisinsider.com/look-inside-disney-worlds-abandoned-discovery-island-2019-2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Permits filed: Innoventions West at Epcot soon to be toast as Project G gets underway:

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/innoventions-east-demolition-permits-filed-character-spot-starbucks-and-club-cool-set-to-close-at-epcot/

From WDW News Today 

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Innoventions to me was Innoventions back in 1997-98 when they would showcase new tech.  Back then, they had new to market and new technology Sega Dreamcasts on display (they probably were doing the same thing since back when they opened in '82). 

Now that was cool and reflected what I think the purpose of that building was supposed to be.  Since then, it has turned into just a multi-purpose space.  A real shame...  the luster of what EPCOT was supposed to be, a showcase of tech and themed futuristic  yet functional environments devolved into a Disney character marketing platform

I remember back around 1993 or '94, spending a long summer putting in a ton of overtime doing the fabrication and construction drawings for, among other EPCOT projects in that general vicinity, this thing:

innoventions-st-1.jpg

kissimmee-fl-jan-2009-guests-rest-outsid

They called it a gazebo, but I had a few other choice terms for it.

Disney really knows how to put you through it if you aspire to contract work for them.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Interesting photo tour of the now shuttered Treasure Island/ Discovery Island.

"On the official map of Disney World, there is a blank green mass in the middle of Bay Lake in Orlando, Florida. The mysterious island is not labeled and no one is allowed to enter — not Disney World guests and not even Disney World employees. But two decades ago this unlabeled island was actually another Disney amusement park called Discovery Island. It mysteriously closed in 1999"

https://www.thisisinsider.com/look-inside-disney-worlds-abandoned-discovery-island-2019-2

I read that and had to chuckle that there was anything “mysterious” about its closure.

Once DAK opened and with River Country being phased out for a variety of reasons (remember also that DI/RC were most often sold as a combo ticket), from the Eisner perspective it no longer made sense.

Just as the keelboats, canoes, the second riverboat, the swan boats and the majority of the Main St. vehicles were phased out as higher capacity attractions (that usually could be operated with fewer cast members/guest) came online, Discovery Island and River Country seemed like anachronisms as DAK opened and throughput  at Typhoon/Blizzard eclipsed capacity at River Country.

What I’ll agree is odd is that the ops folks just left them there without a proper shut down. Of course, something similar seems to have happened with Wonders over at Epcot.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

What may be the first unwrapped gondola cabin has been spotted during a test phase of the Disney Skyliner. 

Perhaps most importantly in the steam bath we call home 8 months or so per year, it’s also possible to see the highly reflective window coverings and open windows which will be key to making the non- air conditioned cabins comfortable for guests.

http://blogmickey.com/2019/03/breaking-first-uncovered-disney-skyliner-gondola-spotted-testing-at-walt-disney-world/

From Blog Mickey 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

What may be the first unwrapped gondola cabin has been spotted during a test phase of the Disney Skyliner. 

Perhaps most importantly in the steam bath we call home 8 months or so per year, it’s also possible to see the highly reflective window coverings and open windows which will be key to making the non- air conditioned cabins comfortable for guests.

http://blogmickey.com/2019/03/breaking-first-uncovered-disney-skyliner-gondola-spotted-testing-at-walt-disney-world/

From Blog Mickey 

...he said "steam bath we call home 8 months or so per year."   think Butthead... (uh...huh...huh).

you are so right about that.  OMG I've been in worse if you can believe it, where humidity would literally soak fabric within 30 minutes or less.

But, that was my concern with those gondolas too...

On 3/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, spenser1058 said:

I read that and had to chuckle that there was anything “mysterious” about its closure.

Once DAK opened and with River Country being phased out for a variety of reasons (remember also that DI/RC were most often sold as a combo ticket), from the Eisner perspective it no longer made sense.

Just as the keelboats, canoes, the second riverboat, the swan boats and the majority of the Main St. vehicles were phased out as higher capacity attractions (that usually could be operated with fewer cast members/guest) came online, Discovery Island and River Country seemed like anachronisms as DAK opened and throughput  at Typhoon/Blizzard eclipsed capacity at River Country.

What I’ll agree is odd is that the ops folks just left them there without a proper shut down. Of course, something similar seems to have happened with Wonders over at Epcot.

yes, Wonders...I still haven't figured that one out... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open to the public at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park on Aug. 29

Should be interesting to see how this goes for them. Opening the land without the biggest ride (Rise of the Resistance) might help keep the crowds down but it might also cause crowd control problems. If the Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway can open about the same time than that should help.

6 hours ago, ragerunner said:

Should be interesting to see how this goes for them. Opening the land without the biggest ride (Rise of the Resistance) might help keep the crowds down but it might also cause crowd control problems. If the Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway can open about the same time than that should help.

DHS is going to have major capacity issues with the opening of SW:GE.  There just isn't enough to do in the park to disperse the crowds. 

As dated as it was, I always enjoyed the Great Movie Ride and was sad to see it go.  I wish they had updated GMR and instead built the Mickey & Minnie Runaway Railway as an actual expansion to the park, which desperately needs it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

DHS is going to have major capacity issues with the opening of SW:GE.  There just isn't enough to do in the park to disperse the crowds. 

As dated as it was, I always enjoyed the Great Movie Ride and was sad to see it go.  I wish they had updated GMR and instead built the Mickey & Minnie Runaway Railway as an actual expansion to the park, which desperately needs it.

It will struggle. Even with the new Lighting McQueen show, Toy Story Land and MMRR its not ready for Magic Kingdom like crowds.

Details in Universal's Harry Potter "Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure" Coaster. The Motorcycle/Sidecar coaster will reach speeds of 50 MPH travelling through the Forbidden Forest and past magical creatures from the movie and Hagrid's hut.

It will also feature some innovative coaster features that are themed and different from regular rides, including  multiple acceleration launches, a spike (up a tree stump) that ends with the riders going backwards down and through another backwards launch,  and a themed "drop track" feature inside a building where the riders fall through and get launched out the other side back into the forest. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-et-universal-harry-potter-roller-coaster-facts-20190311-story.html

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

We’ve known it for a while now but I suppose this makes it official. Effective next week, DHS is changing the names of their parking lot names from the types of media the studio was involved with (I.e., Film, TV, Music) to characters in attractions at the reimagined park.

It seems Ed Prizer’s (longtime publisher of Orlando Magazine when it was more about growth and change than about lifestyle fluff) vision of “Hollywood East” has reached its coda.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/disneys-hollywood-studios-parking-lots-being-renamed-to-disney-characters-next-week/

From WDW News Today

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1