Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

The latest on Orlando’s theme park wars from The Motley Fool:

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2019/03/13/disney-worlds-biggest-rival-keeps-betting-big-on-h.aspx

It notes that Universal can ill afford any missteps on its scheduled June opening of Hagrid now that SW:GE is debuting earlier than planned (or at least part of it, anyway).

Accompanying the new Ratatouille attraction at Epcot will be the park’s first creperie.

Like Les Chefs de France and Monsieur Paul, it will be operated by the Bocuse family, so quality should be above standard theme park fare.

While most of the buzz is going to DHS because of SW:GE, Epcot is also undergoing quite a transformation leading to WDW’s 50th anniversary in 2021.

That’s just one more way Orlando may escape the headwinds of an economy that is in the early stages of cooling off.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201903/6661/

From Theme Park Insider 

On 3/12/2019 at 9:49 AM, dcluley98 said:

Details in Universal's Harry Potter "Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure" Coaster. The Motorcycle/Sidecar coaster will reach speeds of 50 MPH travelling through the Forbidden Forest and past magical creatures from the movie and Hagrid's hut.

It will also feature some innovative coaster features that are themed and different from regular rides, including  multiple acceleration launches, a spike (up a tree stump) that ends with the riders going backwards down and through another backwards launch,  and a themed "drop track" feature inside a building where the riders fall through and get launched out the other side back into the forest. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-et-universal-harry-potter-roller-coaster-facts-20190311-story.html

This new attraction is going to surprise on the upside.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

13 changes and additions coming to Epcot (some previously announced but here all in one place):

https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20190320/36749/12-new-additions-coming-epcot-3-years

From Theme Park Tourist

you know, when they say Illuminations is ending, it's like they are making people think that they are scrapping the end of the evening fireworks show...but they're not...they're just changing it to something else.

• Thanks 2

On 3/20/2019 at 12:18 PM, spenser1058 said:

13 changes and additions coming to Epcot (some previously announced but here all in one place):

https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20190320/36749/12-new-additions-coming-epcot-3-years

From Theme Park Tourist

In addition, they are redesigning the entrance to the park. Then of course there is the gondola at the IG entrance.

There are also rumors of a Mary Poppins attraction in U.K. and a Brazil pavilion.

i

• Like 3

9 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

In addition, they are redesigning the entrance to the park. Then of course there is the gondola at the IG entrance.

There are also rumors of a Mary Poppins attraction in U.K. and a Brazil pavilion.

i

I miss that big glass-like emblem in the middle of the fountain that would light up.  I hated those stupid granite slabs with peoples' faces etched onto them.  It represented a late '90's failed design scheme that also saw the advent of brushed stainless steel wherever they could put it.  If you go to the 5th3rd Bank in downtown, their elevator doors still have that brushed stainless pattern; they're stuck with it.

EPCOT needs futuristic looking stuff out front.  The Monorail station, IMO, is awesome design-wise especially with the powdered blue and yellow color highlights.

Mary Poppins with all that music is so monumental, that would be incredible.

Brazil is a long time coming.  I always thought they should have Greece, but how many Greeks go to EPCOT?  There are a ton of Brazilians by comparison.  

I'm sure the gondola station at the back entrance is awesome.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I miss that big glass-like emblem in the middle of the fountain that would light up.  I hated those stupid granite slabs with peoples' faces etched onto them.  It represented a late '90's failed design scheme that also saw the advent of brushed stainless steel wherever they could put it.  If you go to the 5th3rd Bank in downtown, their elevator doors still have that brushed stainless pattern; they're stuck with it.

EPCOT needs futuristic looking stuff out front.  The Monorail station, IMO, is awesome design-wise especially with the powdered blue and yellow color highlights.

Mary Poppins with all that music is so monumental, that would be incredible.

Brazil is a long time coming.  I always thought they should have Greece, but how many Greeks go to EPCOT?  There are a ton of Brazilians by comparison.  

I'm sure the gondola station at the back entrance is awesome.

I’ll admit that I was a bit mad at first when they announced the gondola station at the back entrance. That always seemed like a little secret entrance. Having seen the gondola station though, it’s definitely impressive from an infrastructure standpoint and makes good use of an underutilized area.

• Like 1

In a rundown of new attractions this year (starting with Sea World and Legoland), the Motley Fool discusses how Legoland is holding its own in its off the beaten path location at the former Cypress Gardens.

We don’t often see attendance numbers for Legoland so I found their steady growth numbers encouraging.

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2019/03/27/5-dates-florida-theme-parks-will-be-watching-in-20.aspx

• Like 1

The TDT rebounded in February, up 6% over the same month in 2018.

That follows a dip in January after a major convention skipped Orlando this year.

Some concern exists that the early part of the year may be soft as visitors await huge new attractions opening later in the year at USO and WDW. 

If February is any indication, though, we might slip through.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/tourism/os-bz-tourism-tax-february-20190404-story.html

From the Sentinel 

^^

this is a much tighter and more vertical building than those renderings showed.  I thought it was going to be longer (the arms), unless this is the back side of it.

I just found this rendering.  the building to the top left is what is u/C above.  the building to the right I believe is a proposed second building.  I think this image is from

G rowt hspot ter.

gs-universal-files-detailed-design-for-second-hotel-at-wet-n-wild-site-road-designs-20180412.jpg

Edited by jrs2