Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Latest construction pics from Disney Gran Destino (wasn’t that a Ford once?) Tower:

https://wdwnt.com/2019/04/photos-coronado-springs-resort-construction-update-4-23-19-gran-destino-tower-villa-del-lago-etc/

From WDW News Today 

By Disney standards, this seems pretty plain Jane.

Projected travel times for the Disney Skyliner have been released:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/travel-times-revealed-for-disney-skyliner-gondola-transportation-at-walt-disney-world/

From WDWInfo

It seems faster than I thought -of course, I was comparing it to the old Skyway in the MK, which was more of an attraction than a transportation system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Aerial views of SW:GE under construction at DHS:

https://www.designboom.com/design/aerial-photos-star-wars-theme-park-disney-world-04-25-2019/

From Designboom

Now that's pretty awesome!

If you play SW Battlefront, they have Mos Eisley as a map.  Now, get some paintball guns and you can actually play the game for real at Disney.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Meanwhile, back in Tomorrowland, be very, very afraid. Its latest makeover is featuring a shocking amount of teal:

https://wdwnt.com/2019/04/photos-tomorrowland-paint-scheme-continues-to-change-at-the-magic-kingdom/

From WDW News Today 

The ‘80’s are coming back to haunt me...

I owned more teal, pink, and turquoise shirts in the 80s than any one person should be lucky enough to have.  Fay-Bans (yes, the fake ones), hair that was a clipper set to 1 around the sides/back and 10"+ long on the top in the Tony Hawk look, shorts that were shorter than they should've been in matching colors to my shirts, and Vans slip-ons completed my look.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I owned more teal, pink, and turquoise shirts in the 80s than any one person should be lucky enough to have.  Fay-Bans (yes, the fake ones), hair that was a clipper set to 1 around the sides/back and 10"+ long on the top in the Tony Hawk look, shorts that were shorter than they should've been in matching colors to my shirts, and Vans slip-ons completed my look.

I. was in my hardcore preppy phase after hanging out with the Vandy crowd and then upwardly mobile legislative staffer types.

I’ve always liked bright primary colors but teal and coral just made me crazy. Needless to say, it was a tough few years shopping at Publix (until they hopped the state line into Georgia for the first time and toned everything down). Burdines was also high on the whole teal thing as part of their “The Florida Store” shtick.

When I first came out, I wasn’t ready to wrap myself in a rainbow flag but I did go through a phase with a lot of pale pink button-downs and polos, not to mention bow ties. Alex P. Keaton had nothing on me (I was a Republican until 1985)!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Disney vs. Six Flags - where would you rather go?

http://allears.net/2019/04/27/why-six-flags-fails-and-disney-succeeds/

From All Ears

While the author is pretty much spot on in comparisons here, what’s not mentioned is that the original Six Flags parks (including Texas and Georgia) WERE theme parks, only devolving into coaster parks later.

Also overlooked is the fact C.V. Wood, who did much of the initial planning on Six Flags Over Texas, also was involved in the development of Disneyland.

Walt tossed Wood out after a time (he had the reputation of a con man), but Walt was also concerned about the parks Wood worked on afterward and that led to major expansions on Disneyland like the Matterhorn to stay on top. 

We may never know exactly what impact Disney’s decisions to curtail smoking and oversized strollers will have after they go into effect next Wednesday.

Because attendance may already be low right now due to a slightly different Easter calendar and then with SW:GE coming later in this year,  the new policies aren’t likely to have a big enough impact to show up in the numbers. Stay tuned...

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2019/04/28/this-is-your-last-weekend-for-smoking-and-big-stro.aspx

From the Motley Fool 

More turnover of long term op execs at Sea World.

Either the new CEO with no experience is setting the company up for a sale (hopefully to a firm that has a clue) or else he’s in way over his head and this won’t end well.

Let’s see what happens.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-seaworld-mark-pauls-orlando-parks-president-20190429-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

It’s impossible to overstate how Disney’s consistent ownership over the years has more than a little to do with its firm niche at the top of the parks business.

Things were tight in ‘84 when the company control shifted from Walt’s side of the family to Roy’s but, here we are 35 years later and stronger than ever.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:54 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Net hotel being built. On Westwood near old Convention Center access road over 528

This is supposed to be that upscale Hilton brand.  Great job scouting this; I've been meaning to do it for so long.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

what a waste.  They are replacing a 1950's design Ferris Wheel with another one of equal size.  Do they even realize that county fairs bring in portable Ferris Wheels that are larger than that wheel?  They should've replaced it with something that was maybe double in height.  

On 4/29/2019 at 1:51 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

JW Disney

20190428_162722.jpg

it's really sizing up to be a great addition to the Orlando conference hotel inventory.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

what a waste.  They are replacing a 1950's design Ferris Wheel with another one of equal size.  Do they even realize that county fairs bring in portable Ferris Wheels that are larger than that wheel?  They should've replaced it with something that was maybe double in height.  

On 4/29/2019 at 1:51 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Agreed. I'm worried about Fun Spot's future... Since buying the out of state park, it seems they don't invest much into the Orlando locations anymore... the entire expansion plan they published disappeared, and the only thing we got was a much bigger parking lot. There whole slogan is "ITS HUGE" but as they said in that very article "It may not be the biggest wheel in Orlando, but for Fun Spot it's HUGE!!!!!"  Yup... its not HUGE for I-Drive... if all the new Icon Orlando and Skyplex stuff gets built ... Fun Spot will be a distant afterthought and just look tiny.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aent said:

Agreed. I'm worried about Fun Spot's future... Since buying the out of state park, it seems they don't invest much into the Orlando locations anymore... the entire expansion plan they published disappeared, and the only thing we got was a much bigger parking lot. There whole slogan is "ITS HUGE" but as they said in that very article "It may not be the biggest wheel in Orlando, but for Fun Spot it's HUGE!!!!!"  Yup... its not HUGE for I-Drive... if all the new Icon Orlando and Skyplex stuff gets built ... Fun Spot will be a distant afterthought and just look tiny.

Yeah, Daytona Boardwalk's Ferris Wheel is the same size (or was).  I thought this was a 75' Ferris Wheel, not a 100' one.  I think they got it wrong.  I've seen 120' ones that look noticeable larger.  

I think the heart of Fun Spot is cool, right where that Ferris Wheel sits; it's very packed right in there.  They may not be able to handle a larger one right there.

Artegon master development plan is up for review and included a 365-unit 5-story (65 ft. tall) multi-family apartment complex on the southwestern portion of the overall property for the first phase. Parcels on the overall development plan for future phases are overlapping the existing building, which leads to the question of them demolishing the entire existing structure in the future and starting from scratch. 

MPL2019-10002_Project_Overview_Page_3.jpg

MPL2019-10002_Project_Overview_Page_4.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Parcels on the overall development plan for future phases are overlapping the existing building, which leads to the question of them demolishing the entire existing structure in the future and starting from scratch. 

Is there something other then what you posted available? The movie theater and Bass Pro Shop have a seperate owner despite being seperate parcels, they likely will not be demolished or modified in those areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1