Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I was reading on the South Carolina forum that there are several laws that legislature is trying to pass. One i really like is : A city can annex a geographical area when it reaches a certain amount of density/populous without going to a referendum. This is beacuse of what is happening around Charleston and other MSA's.

Edited by firemick

:sick: nauseating. I am continually astonished at how Orange acts as if it is in direct competition with Orlando. It's a grudge match. The whole thing with Crotty being called "Mayor" and "Downtown Orange County"... i realize these things are just superficial and don't mean a whole lot, but come on... it's just getting ridiculous. Orange County appears to be having a serious identity crisis.

They (the County) forget that Downtown Orlando is the Downtown of Orange County, let alone the County Seat --- not I-Drive. They also forget that they too represent the City of Orlando --- the political pettiness confuses businesses outside of the area, and worsens economic development opportunities of the county and the region as a whole.

I think Pointe Orlando doesn't do so well because there is nothing unique about whats there.  It isn't great shopping, or dining, or anything really.  I know this would never happen but I think it would be cool if they turned the whole thing into a type of bazaar, where locals can open shop and sell things, find of like an upscale flea market with good restaurants and street entertainment.  They have these kinds of places all over Europe.  The one in Istanbul, the Grand Bazaar, is about a two mile radius and just about the coolest place I've ever been.  I know this is sort of a radical idea, but its certainly something that Orlando doesnt have right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen Pointe Orlando's numbers but I have to say I really enjoy going there. I think their big screen at the movie theatre is rather unique for the area.

I was wondering if maybe the management at Pointe Orlando raised the rent...when Fashion Square raised their rent, stores started leaving in droves, much like what's happened in Pointe Orlando.

It's kind of sad looking now. But you'd think it stores would do really well, as it's so close to the convention center and there is a lot of foot traffic in the area.

Just got off the phone with an executive with Peabody and apparently they have downsized the scope of the expansion from the 42 story tower to a more modest 32-33 story tower. They are still in negotiations with Orange County on incentives and nothing will be announced for a couple of months. So NO new tallest for Central Florida. The only reason for the change is just a reduction in number of rooms and to have tower fit in better with surrounding towers. I hate to be the bearer of bad news! :sick: You know.. I am not calling anymore because everytime i do i get bad news. Marc :(

Edited by firemick

FYI, while driving out of Dr. Phillips this morning, I noticed that the eyesore of a Days Inn on Sand Lake Road on the west side of I-4 has been vacated. Not only that, there is a fence up around the property, cranes have dismantled a large billboard that used to be on-site, and the hotel sign announced a sale for the contents of the hotel. Seems like somebody bought the property or perhaps Days Inn will be constructing a new building. Either way, the current Days Inn looks like it's being prepped for demolition.

Those familiar with the Dr. Phillips area will certainly enjoy seeing this blemish gone.

daysinn8tk.jpg

Edited by bic

FYI, while driving out of Dr. Phillips this morning, I noticed that the eyesore of a Days Inn on Sand Lake Road on the west side of I-4 has been vacated. Not only that, there is a fence up around the property, cranes have dismantled a large billboard that used to be on-site, and the hotel sign announced a sale for the contents of the hotel. Seems like somebody bought the property or perhaps Days Inn will be constructing a new building. Either way, the current Days Inn looks like it's being prepped for demolition.

Those familiar with the Dr. Phillips area will certainly enjoy seeing this blemish gone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! With all the other restaraunts and shopping right there, another new upscale center wouldn't be back. I work right up the street and eat at those places for lunch often.

While we are talking about this area, does anyone know if there is plans for redeveloping the area on the east side of Kirkman, where the Mystery Fun House is? There is a large hotel and convention center next to Mystery Fun House that has been closed for a while. Who used to own that hotel?

Well, here's the story on the Days Inn property. Looks like another exciting project:

Orlando Business Journal:

Wilder Cos. pays $9.3M for Orlando site, preps new project

The Wilder Cos. says it has paid $9.3 million for the Days Inn Orlando in Florida, which it plans to demolish to build a $75 million retail, luxury residences and office development called Rialto.

The 695-room Days Inn Orlando was foreclosed on several years ago and the owners filed for bankruptcy, according to a press release from Boston-based Wilder Cos. The hotel fell into disrepair while the community around it grew into a dynamic neighborhood and commercial district, according to the statement.

The new 350,000-square-foot Rialto will break ground this year and will consist of approximately 20 shops, fine dining restaurants and caf

Resort planned in south Orange

David Siegel will build a time-share development on 50 acres near his Westgate Lakes Resort.

By Jack Snyder | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted May 14, 2005

Time-share magnate David Siegel has bought 50 acres in south Orange County for $22.5 million for a new development near his Westgate Lakes Resort.

Design work on the new resort west of Interstate 4 will start immediately, with a construction start possible by early next year, Siegel said Friday.

Plans call for about 1,500 time-share units in several mid-rise towers of six to nine stories. About 80,000 square feet of retail space also will be developed. The 1,500-unit Westgate Lakes is almost sold out, Siegel said.

The new resort, on Big Sand Lake off Palm Parkway, hasn't been named but will carry the Westgate brand, Siegel said.

read more

17572962.jpg

Edited by bic

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very cool! I used to work at the Gooding's Flagship on Sand Lake & Dr. Phillips as a manager (in a past life). I don't even live in Orlando anymore, but I can't express with words just how much it means to me to know that this vulgarity of a property is being destroyed.

YES!!!!

Very cool!  I used to work at the Gooding's Flagship on Sand Lake & Dr. Phillips as a manager (in a past life).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might be interested to know that the old Gooding's store has been ripped apart to make way for what looks like smaller retail spaces. Right now most of the front facade has been demolished and interior walls are being constructed.

You might be interested to know that the old Gooding's store has been ripped apart to make way for what looks like smaller retail spaces. Right now most of the front facade has been demolished and interior walls are being constructed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. This saddens my heart because this very store is where I met my wife (a customer, not a co-worker) and where I suggested she "meet me by the clock tower" at the Dr. Phillips Marketplace for a date.

Alas...

"I heard it said somewhere that one day all good things come to an end..."

Thanks again!

Edited by RestedTraveler

I received a letter today about a community meeting for a new development near Dr. Phillips. Here's what it said:

Project Information:

Project Name: Granada PD/DRI Amended LUP Southeast Quadrant

Edited by bic