Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Competing centers for attention

Pointe Orlando and the Mercado unveil makeovers for the I-Drive properties.

By Jerry W. Jackson | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 9, 2005

Pointe Orlando and the Mercado, competing retail centers on International Drive in south Orlando, are about to take different paths with multimillion-dollar makeovers.

Read More - Orlando Sentinel

Not exactly urban development, but there was an article in the latest Orlando Business Journal about an innovative new roller coaster called Unicoaster being developed by Patent Labs off of Sand Lake Road. Apparently the first commercial unit will be opened in Central Florida in the spring of 2006. In the article it says that Patent Labs is "currently talking to several potential customers, including one themed restaurant and a family entertainment center -- but [they] prefer not to reveal who they are at this time. One of those local customers says the proposed design would completely encircle his building and swoop over part of the parking lot as well, adding a dramatic themed touch to the experience." This sure sounds like an I-Drive attraction to me.

Read the article in its entirety here.

^ The Capital Grille will be a huge draw for business travelers looking for some fine dining near the Convention Center. Great move by the people behind the Pointe to lure in this upscale eatery.

I'm really excited about the prossibility of this renovation creating a new and vibrant Pointe Orlando. :)

Blue Rose Resort is on the September MPB agenda for Master Plan approval. The case address listed is 7499 Universal Blvd. And on a side note: North Orange Condos, Orlando City Place, 205 S. Eola, and The Collonades are all on there too.

Edited by firemick

It was just yesterday it seems that they first opened it up w/ FAO and Marino's and A/X and Graham Central Station.

Good news.  I went to Hooters on July 5 mid day and it was dead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lived in the Residence Inn located right next to Pointe Orlando for a month and walked my dogs every night around Pointe Orlando. It was always dead.

I think Pointe Orlando was in trouble b/c of so many new venues opening up right after it did.

After it opened, Citywalk opened; then the Cinemark at Festival Bay; then Disney Westside (or right before?); then Orlando Premium Outlets; then Festival Bay's 30 or so stores.

they do need to re-identify themselves.

If you're familiar with Maggiano's Little Italy, you may be interested to know that there is a strong possibility of one opening up shop in Pointe Orlando after its $10 million renovation.

Here's a link to the Orlando Business Journal article.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh boy.

I used to go to the original Maggiano's in Chicago, before they sold it off to be a chain. Though it has been dumbed down a little bit, and there are still some better places in Orlando, they have a few meals that I love. When living in Atlanta a couple years ago, I was shocked when I saw a Maggiano's and even more shocked to learned they had gone national. It was just like being back in Chicago.

Between Devaney's Pub, Maggiano's and Hot Dog Heaven, Chicago will have made it's way right into Orlando.

Oh boy.

I used to go to the original Maggiano's in Chicago, before they sold it off to be a chain.  Though it has been dumbed down a little bit, and there are still some better places in Orlando, they have a few meals that I love.  When living in Atlanta a couple years ago, I was shocked when I saw a Maggiano's and even more shocked to learned they had gone national.  It was just like being back in Chicago.

Between Devaney's Pub, Maggiano's and Hot Dog Heaven, Chicago will have made it's way right into Orlando.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget Giordano's, my friend.

Oh boy.

I used to go to the original Maggiano's in Chicago, before they sold it off to be a chain.  Though it has been dumbed down a little bit, and there are still some better places in Orlando, they have a few meals that I love.  When living in Atlanta a couple years ago, I was shocked when I saw a Maggiano's and even more shocked to learned they had gone national.  It was just like being back in Chicago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chemmie, are you a fellow Chicagoan???

Chemmie, are you a fellow Chicagoan???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't necessarilly call me a Chicagoan, but I did live there for a short time and loved every second of it. I lived on the corner of Belmont and Seminary, a couple blocks down from The Vic Theater and only a few blocks away from Wrigley.

I moved around a lot as a child and the only thing that was always there was WGN and the Cubs. I guess somehow I became an honorary Chicagoan. I've lived in many big cities, Atlanta, D.C., Philly, Chicago, Jacksonville and Orlando and with the exception of Orlando, Chicago is my second home.

I've found a ton of Chicago connections here in Orlando. And as I mentioned, Devaney's Pub, on the corner of University Blvd. and Goldenrod., is just like being back in Chicago. They have a beef sandwich that rivals any in Chicagoland.

Kissimmee water park is sold, will close Sept. 5

Danielle De Pari | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 26, 2005

Link to Orlando Sentinel Article

Summary

The Watermania waterpark across from Celebration has been purchased by an undisclosed individual and will be shutting its doors this coming Labor Day. Vice president and co-owner Randy Larson says that the waterpark was not for sale, but rather Watermania was approached by buyers back in January. Watermania officials are not revealing what the new buyers plan to do with the property.

Kissimmee water park is sold, will close Sept. 5

Danielle De Pari | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 26, 2005

Link to Orlando Sentinel Article

Summary

The Watermania waterpark across from Celebration has been purchased by an undisclosed individual and will be shutting its doors this coming Labor Day. Vice president and co-owner Randy Larson says that the waterpark was not for sale, but rather Watermania was approached by buyers back in January. Watermania officials are not revealing what the new buyers plan to do with the property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is interesting.... I"m curious who bought this property. I know Gaylord Palms is planning a convention expansion and there was the long rumor that Four Seasons was building in Celebration, perhaps they bought the land. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...