Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Disney to convert Pleasure Island into wharf-themed district

57728556.jpg

There will be new life at Pleasure Island — but with a new name, look and purpose, Walt Disney World announced Thursday. Construction will begin this month on the Downtown Disneyentertainment area, which will be renamed Hyperion Wharf.

Several Pleasure Island buildings have sat idle since Disney closed its nightclubs in favor of more dining and shopping opportunities in 2008. Four of those clubs will be demolished to make room for new eateries along the waterfront area.

First to go will be the former Motion and Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club, said Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney. The styles and operators of the restaurants were not disclosed.

"We're in great negotiations on all the restaurants," he said.

An amphitheater-style park on the lakeside will be the first area ready for guests, Bradford said. He expects the park, next to the Paradiso 37 restaurant, will be ready by next summer and the entire project completed by early 2013.

Disney to convert Pleasure Island into wharf-themed district

I gotta say I like what's going on at PI or H-Dub (Hyperion Wharf) because this means more of a focus on adult-friendly entertainment outside of Disney and possible departure of the House of Blues to Downtown Orlando. Clearly HOB won't fit in brand-wise with what's going to take place there.

Edited by DeepEyez

^ Really though? It was just fine as it was -- pre-shut down of Pleasure Island. Now it'll be another Citywalk. Downtown Orlando never looked so good!

I totally agree with you, I just found it hilarious how on second-thought, the new Downtown Disney will look like another CityWalk.

I MOST DEFINITELY AGREE with you when you say, DOWNTOWN ORLANDO NEVER LOOKED SO GOOD! The future is bright and I hope HOB heads towards the city center.

Disney sheds little light on Pleasure Island

Sure, Pleasure Island has resembled a ghost town for two years, but now it's officially dead. Walt Disney World announced last week its plans to rename and reinvent the area, the center segment of Downtown Disney.

Coming up is the Hyperion Wharf name. Going down will be buildings that housed four P.I. nightclubs, starting with Motion and Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club and then, eventually, the demolition of BET Soundstage Club and the Adventurers Club. All will be replaced with restaurants.

This had long been the rumor, even before it was announced in 2008 that all Pleasure Island nightclubs would be closing. The goal, Disney officials said, was to provide more shopping and dining options at Downtown Disney. The lakefront property of that side of P.I. was considered a prime spot for the eatery expansion.

Since then, there's been limited development of the strip, with the exception of Paradiso 37, a Latin restaurant that opened in 2009.

Read more about Disney shedding a little light on Pleasure Island here >>

Edited by DeepEyez

A Street for Adults in Orlando

28heads-span-articleLarge.jpg

INTERNATIONAL DRIVE in Orlando, Fla., a shaded boulevard lined with inexpensive hotels, theme restaurants and sundry entertainments (most notably, SeaWorld), is already one of many areas in the city dedicated to keeping children happy. But to many adults traveling without kids — certainly a sizable chunk of the millions who attend events at the nearby Orange County Convention Center — the attraction of I-Drive, as it’s known, has been limited to a handful of bewilderingly large shopping malls.

These days, a segment of I-Drive close to the convention center is beginning to hold more grown-up appeal, with upscale hotels, restaurants and entertainment that doesn’t involve leaping orcas.

Read more about A Street for Adults in Orlando here>>

Edited by DeepEyez

While it's nice to get exposure in the NY Times, there are so many other "adult themed" streets in Orlando. This seems a bit misinformed.

The Times has focused on Orlando before, including Little Saigon/Thornton Park/ the History Center, Park Avenue, the JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton as well as Disney for grownups. I think the stories are by freelancers - I'm a regular reader of the Times online and have been surprised how many times Orlando has gotten stories done not just about the theme parks.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

"The 80,000-square-foot complex involves a 40,000-square-foot parking structure on the first level and a 40,000-square-foot entertainment facility above it, county officials said."

Glad to hear they're going vertical with the parking...hopefully this increases the odds of good street interaction. Anyone seen plans?

Struggling Festival Bay Mall has been sold

Troubled Festival Bay Mall has been sold to a group affiliated with the former owners of Prime Outlets – Orlando.

FB Orlando Acquisition Co. LLC bought the property last week for $25 million, according to Orange County property records.

FB Orlando Acquisition Co. is headed by David Lichtenstein, whose Lightstone Group used to own outlet centers around the country including the former Prime Outlets-Orlando. Those centers were recently taken over by Simon Property Group and converted to Premium Outlets. Lichtenstein has a reputation for being an aggressive buyer of troubled assets.

Darren Shepherd is no longer manager of Festival Bay. He has been replaced by Debby LaMotte, who used to manage Prime Outlets-Orlando.

http://www.orlandose...,0,401304.story

Edited by DeepEyez

Orlando visitors bureau's new name: Visit Orlando

The Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau Inc. said Friday it is adopting a new name: Visit Orlando.

That makes the local tourism-marketing agency a chip off the old sunblock, since the Florida Tourism Industry Marketing Corp., the state's quasi-public marketing operation, has been known for years now as Visit Florida.

"This really gives us chance to be clear and clarify to the consumers exactly what we're about," George Aguel, a Walt DisneyWorld executive and outgoing chairman of the local visitors bureau, said of the name change. "Not only is it the name of our organization, but we're telling them that we want them to visit Orlando."

CVB officials said a new logo will be designed for the new name but added that the ongoing "Orlando Makes Me Smile" campaign, now entering its third year, will continue.

http://www.orlandose...0,2032867.story

Edited by DeepEyez

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope they do a better job integrating this open-air mall into the streetscape and make it more walkable (grid system with parking garages like a small downtown?). Waterford Lakes, for example, is not only horrible to drive around, but also a pain to park or walk anywhere. I can either walk half a mile through parking lots trying not to get hit by cars or feel stupid driving 30 seconds to the next store; good luck walking to a store if it's on the other side of Alafaya. It would really attract more tourists if they could walk around safely (although from what I hear, European tourists actually love big American indoor malls).

On a side note, does anyone know why they don't build more projects like SoDo? With so many people working on I-Drive and the theme parks, you'd think apartments would go fast.