Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Am I the only one who thinks its absolute ridiculous that people buy houses beside property that backs up to I-Drive then are shoked when some type of loud tourist attraction is proposed for the I-Drive property? The question here shouldn't be why are they building OTP there, it should why the heck are there houses to close to I-Drive. Look at it on a map, its tiny neighborhood amongst industrial parks and tourist attractions. I'm not saying that the neighborhood should be done away with but the residents shouldn't be shocked when a tourist attraction is proposed for this area.

I do think that another location would fit the OTP much better, this was a small lot with not a lot of interstate/turnpike visability. I would much rather see this go on the Major Blvd old Delta Hotel site across I-4 where Citymark was proposed to go. That would give it easier access and more visibility.

Sorry, done with my rant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Downtown Disney getting new entertainment center

"Downtown Disney will be busy this fall with the construction of a new 50,000-square-foot bowling, billiards, dining and nightlife entertainment center.

The addition, dubbed Splitsville, will be housed in Downtown Disney’s West Side where RideMakerz currently is. RideMakerz will be moved to the Marketplace area of Downtown Disney."

dda029393LARGE.jpg

This is the former Virgin Megastore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Disney to build multiple-attraction 'Avatar' land in Animal Kingdom theme park

http://www.orlandose...0,5194769.story

Good news for the tourism economy - first the Fantasyland expansion beginning next year in the Magic Kingdom, followed by Avatar beyond that. More heads in beds and an interesting followup to Harry Potter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DRIP Signs 5,100 Square-Foot Lease for Permanent Venue on International Drive

http://www.ilovedrip.com/new-entertainment/2011/11/2/drip-signs-5100-square-foot-lease-for-permanent-venue-on-int.html

Another performance arts organization tries to launch a foothold on I-Drive. So far, FantasyLand Theatrical Productions is holding its own at Pointe Orlando - could it be conventioneers can support the arts for us?

FantasyLand is not a professional company like Drip is. Its a community theatre with unpaid actors. I'm not a professional reviewer, so I'll withhold my commentary on the quality of the work, but I think focusing on the quality, professional companies downtown is where the arts can thrive... unless a theatre of similar quality opens in the tourist corridor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so it looks like the Orlando Thrill Park rumors turned out to be false after all. It's back to dead status.

However, Fun Spot is now on the move! 2 new coasters and a full water park are planned in a massive expansion...

Fun Spot will expand to three times its size

http://www.clickorla...2g/-/index.html

Edited by Pete C

Ok, so it looks like the Orlando Thrill Park rumors turned out to be false after all. It's back to dead status.

However, Fun Spot is now on the move! 2 new coasters and a full water park are planned in a massive expansion...

http://www.clickorla...2g/-/index.html

I'm pleased to report I called this one - I expected Fun Spot to be the only survivor of the "thrill park dash" - it seems that developers with no way to get attention for their projects made thrill parks the "flavor of the year" like hotels often have a tendency to be downtown.

I'm pleased to report I called this one - I expected Fun Spot to be the only survivor of the "thrill park dash" - it seems that developers with no way to get attention for their projects made thrill parks the "flavor of the year" like hotels often have a tendency to be downtown.

I like the idea of Fun Spot expanding more than some fly-by-night developer coming in and throwing up a bunch of coasters. I think the Orlando Thrill Park guys were behind the Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach which was a colossal failure. Fun Spot is established and knows what they are doing.