Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

The problem with plazas is that they attract a certain kind of business - either chains or businesses that want to be a chain. They don't really attract anything new, nor do the owners really want anything to radically different. Those businesses, and those owners, usually put a premium on automotive traffic to cast the widest net. The upshot of all that is that there is nothing really to make this project any more substantial or interesting than the next big plaza. Yes there is an aesthetical quality to buildings closer to the street, but that does not translate into more "life".

To make the area really become more lively, and thus draw that kind fo street atmosphere, you need socialization places - something to draw people out of their cars and make them walk around. A good Saturday/Wednesday market could do wonders, as would a decent safe gathering place where the tourists could hang out. Yeah, that means drawing more tourists to the area, but more tourists bring more business, which allows smaller local businesses to survive.

Doesn't the area already have a Farmer's Market? Sand Lake Farmer's Market

A trolley and some buildings along the front of the current plazas would do the trick though. In the meantime I think we're stuck with a car friendly, pedestrian dangerous strip along Sand Lake Road. Wide 6-10ft sidewalks all the way from Kirkman to Dr Phillips Blvd would do wonders for this area but again I think plans like these are years away. Maybe all that driving will make these anti-downtown Dr Phillips crowd come to realize how much we really do need mass transit solutions.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

We don't talk much on here about theme parks. Nonetheless, there is a massive four part photo update to the Fantasyland expansion over at Orlando Theme Park News blog: http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/

There are also several other construction projects on the Disney World Resort:

1) Grand Floridian Expansion

2) EPCOT Test Track upgrades

3) Avatar Land at Animal Kingdom (in design stage)

SeaWorld is also well into their Antarctica themed area expansion, as is Universal's Harry Potter expansion plans.

Edited by prahaboheme

While it has always seemed to me there is ample coverage of the parks on the specialized boards (like JimHillMedia, MousePlanet, etc.), I think the projects praha notes are most important for our purposes because, as Al Lutz has noted over at MICEAGE, the current run of development is as large as he has ever seen in the industry. This bodes well for the region's economy.

What's also interesting is the diversification of the industry to greater segments of the population. When we started in 1971, everything was targeted to mom and pop and middle-income families. Today we are seeing growth in the traditional theme park business, but also vast expansion in other segments like sports marketing and attracting higher-end tourists, including WDW's Golden Oak project featuring million dollar homes. It's no longer just one industry but many.

Glad to see this compromise was made. The London Eye doesn't have a gawdy advertisement in it's spoke; I don't see why Orlando must succomb to developer demands, either. I have high hopes for this project and look forward to seeing revised, detailed renderings. Since this will be Merlin's gateway into the Orlando market, I expect they will present a quality product despite the fact that the currently released renderings are a letdown.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Attractions Update:

Disney:

New Fantasyland u/c: sections already open to general public

Epcot Test Tracker upgrades: u/c

Rumors about a Star Wars expansion have been floating around the theme park blogs; possibly as part of a Hollywood Studios expansion or a much needed Tomorrowland remodel.

Pleasure Island: Still nothing.

Grand Floridian expansion: u/c

Animal Kingdom Avatar expansion: in planning

Universal:

Transformers Ride - u/c

Simpsons Ride area expansion - u/c

Harry Potter expansion (former Amityville area) - u/c

New resort hotel (will be largest on property): u/c

SeaWorld:

Antartica - u/c

I-Drive Live: u/c

I-Shops: site work

Convention Center:

Pedestrian bridges to adjacent hotels: In planning

Edited by prahaboheme

• 4 weeks later...

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment preparing to go public

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-seaworld-exploring-ipo-20121217,0,2875636.story

Good to see Blackstone preparing to spin off Sea World/Busch at long last next year. Assuming they decide to remain headquartered in Orlando, this is a significant corporate HQ for the region which will no longer be subject to Blackstone's whims. According to the sales figures listed in the Sentinel, it wont be another Fortune 500 HQ for us, but a headquarters nonetheless. As we knows, companies headquartered in the region are much more likely to give to local charities and pay a larger role in helping the community grow.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

Orlando expects to remain No. 1 travel destination 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-cfb-tourism-0107-20130106,0,174684.story

Orlando expected to remain #1 US travel destination beating out NYC (eat your heart out, Michael Bloomberg!) It's interesting that our competition  here is heads for beds is New York while in conventions it's Vegas. Regardless of whether one ever makes it to the southwest quadrant, the continued growth down there is pumping more and more money into the regional economy.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Fun Spot America: Even more expansion on tap

They announced today they're buying 8 more acres. I really like how Fun Spot and Gatorland are the little attractions that could - they just keep plussing themselves and hang in there year after year. Fun Spotis especially fascinating given all the grandiose plans for small thrill parks just a couple of years ago that turned out to be so much hot air.

Where have you been? haha

Everywhere BUT Fetival Bay. :silly:

I knew the previous owners were trying to offload it, but didn't know that had actually happened. Will be curious what the new owners ultimately do with it. It's such an odd property. The anchors are solid (Cinmark, Bass Pro), and the outlet mall across the street is always packed.

The densification of Millenia will continue -- my question being, which 4 star hotel would be coming to Millenia?

Hotel, restaurant and offices coming near Mall at Millenia

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2013/01/18/hotel-restaurant-and-offices-coming.html

I read four story, unless the full articles says a four story four star :)

I read four story, unless the full articles says a four story four star :)

I wondered about that. It seems an upscale hotel would want to be on the other side of I4 and, even better, attached to the mall. But, hey, what do I know - Millenia has been a disaster from the misspelling of its name onward (traffic nightmares, placing an upscale mall in a downscale neighborhood, etc.) but yet the mall is wildly successful anyway. Go figure.

I-Drive Live to get Planet Hollywood?

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2013/01/25/i-drive-live-to-get-planet-hollywood.html

If Unicorp's I-Drive Live and I-Shops does pan out to include the Eye, Madam Tussaud's, SeaLife Aquarium, shops and restaurants/retail, etc., as is currently planned, it seems to me that International Drive is going to start resembling a Last Vegas Strip East.  International Drive has never been a heavily themed tourism district, rather a vein that fed life to a number of attractions (Universal, Seaworld, OCCC, FunSpot, etc).  With this development, International Drive becomes the attraction.  Is this the becoming of a new era in Orlando tourism?