Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I-Drive Live to get Planet Hollywood?

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2013/01/25/i-drive-live-to-get-planet-hollywood.html

If Unicorp's I-Drive Live and I-Shops does pan out to include the Eye, Madam Tussaud's, SeaLife Aquarium, shops and restaurants/retail, etc., as is currently planned, it seems to me that International Drive is going to start resembling a Last Vegas Strip East.  International Drive has never been a heavily themed tourism district, rather a vein that fed life to a number of attractions (Universal, Seaworld, OCCC, FunSpot, etc).  With this development, International Drive becomes the attraction.  Is this the becoming of a new era in Orlando tourism?

This feeds into a big problem Orlando has long had - we're the 2nd largest convention destination (because of the ridiculous amount of money spent on OCCC) but have precious little for grownups to do. This is absolutely a step in the right direction. Will it allow us to compete with Vegas? Good question (the idea that all the adults coming to Orlando would want to bring their families along to visit the theme parks or that lots of golf courses would do the trick never panned out for us.) Vegas realized going after families was not going to work and Disney doubled down on wholesomeness, closing PI - can we do both in different parts of town or achieve a suitable hybrid? We're about to find out.

Wax museum and Ferris wheel are for grownups?

I was thinking that as well, but in one of these articles there are talks about bringing a 20,000 sf "Vegas-style Nightclub" to this property. With that and along with whatever the Planet Hollywood Hotel could potentially bring it just might be expanding into that field.

Wax museum and Ferris wheel are for grownups?

In the case of the Ferris wheel, it's not just your garden-variety Fun Spot version (or so I assume after comparisons to London's) - the compartments  make them more like sky boxes at an arena. In the case of Madame Tussaud, they traditionally have displays with characters more of interest to adults rather than just children (think more historical figures, fewer superheroes.) Again, the proof is in the pudding, but for Orlando it's a step forward.

I would not count on anything Las Vegas style will be built on I drive, nobody will put that much money in Orlando, not even Rosen. Anything built on idrive will be considered a side show to disney in this town, while in Vegas, the hotels are the destinations. Do u guys remember blue rosé?

I would not count on anything Las Vegas style will be built on I drive, nobody will put that much money in Orlando, not even Rosen. Anything built on idrive will be considered a side show to disney in this town, while in Vegas, the hotels are the destinations. Do u guys remember blue rosé?

Blue Rose, of course and some of the other ideas floated at that time, of course, fell prey to the crash, so who knows what may have happened with a better economy. I think they're going to have to do something at some point - waaaay too much money was spent on expanding OCCC, mainly because Harris Rosen and the tourism industry wanted to make sure the downtown crowd couldn't get their greedy little hands on the tourist tax pot. It's interesting to note that Vegas' expansion of its convention center was far less palatial, cost a lot less money, but still attracts more attendees. Why? Because conventioners have a long history of wanting to do adult things when they get away from home. If we want to somehow maximize the money we've spent on our white elephant, we've got to make the area more attractive to the target market - adults. If you're right and we can't figure out a way to do that, then we're underutilizing a huge asset. Since the convention market tends to be more stable and more lucrative than mom and pop tourism, I think we have to try. I also think there's enough space between I-Drive and Disney that a sort of DMZ can be built between the two. In any event, we'll find out how this is going to play before too long. I'd also add that with the passing of Gary Sain and with Harris Rosen not getting any younger, a transition is coming to our tourism industry anyway - this is a good time to address a question that has been unresolved since the '80's.

I was trying to think of a way to differentiate the brand - since Orlando is already the family brand, maybe you leave it alone and use Orange County as the "grownup" brand, since the convention center doesn't have the Orlando name on it anyway. Just a thought of different marketing approaches.

Edited by spenser1058

The site contains an actual rendering of "phase III" for the Premium Outlets. Just thought I'd share this information.

http://www.hennongroup.com/Portfolio/MasterPlanning/OrlandoPremiumOutletsPhase3/tabid/1134/Default.aspx

I believe that's the older plan.  The new plan is much smaller, with no garage, smaller retention pond, and no pedestrian bridge.  

I don't see how these outlets can add new stores and not add the adequate parking necessary. Not having that additional parking structure is going to be a disaster since it is already difficult to find parking throughout most of the year and customers and employees have had their vehicles towed for parking at the plazas across Vineland.  :huh: SMH! It would've been a nice addition  :(

The site contains an actual rendering of "phase III" for the Premium Outlets. Just thought I'd share this information.

http://www.hennongroup.com/Portfolio/MasterPlanning/OrlandoPremiumOutletsPhase3/tabid/1134/Default.aspx

I believe that's the older plan.  The new plan is much smaller, with no garage, smaller retention pond, and no pedestrian bridge.  

Edited by aleonrivera

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta equity firm plans I-Drive complex

Project would include hotel, retail space, apartments

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2013/02/08/atlanta-equity-firm-plans-i-drive.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all these new projects announced at I drive, I just wish they are more urban in design. It totally can be molded into a vibrant urban environment. Only if the people that control the design there has some vision.

Universal Studios is planning a pedestrian bridge that will sit above Hollywood Way.  Unfortunately, tax dollars will be used to fund this project.  It is what it is I guess...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-universal-studios-bridge-20130213,0,2142042.story

Update: Here's the image

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/new-sketch.jpg-20130213,0,1722441.photo

Edited by Bernanke88

While I'm all for making the city more pedestrian friendly, I think this is a bridge too far. It's worth taking the time to write to City Hall and express concern about this project. There are so many areas where the city needs to improve safety for pedestrians. I understand the CRA funding mechanisms, etc. But, come on, Universal. Gorging on the public trough (the tax breaks for improving a "crime ridden" area were ridiculous.)

Think of it from this perspective:  This new resort will house a large majority of the guests staying at Universal; should even one of those guests accidentally run in front of a vehicle on Hollywood Blvd, you can be sure that Orlando will be paying for a hell of a lot more than a pedestrian bridge.  Cost / Benefit ratio.

Think of it from this perspective:  This new resort will house a large majority of the guests staying at Universal; should even one of those guests accidentally run in front of a vehicle on Hollywood Blvd, you can be sure that Orlando will be paying for a hell of a lot more than a pedestrian bridge.  Cost / Benefit ratio.

More money spent in local hospitals? :dontknow:

• Like 1

I don't think the city had liability in that type of scenario. Universal should be paying for it themselves... they'd have the bad publicity and potential lawsuit more then the city, so it'd pay for them to do it and a better feel to their customer.

OBJ did a story on the new extreme sports complex for I-Drive but it failed to mention the IMO biggest part.  Dry Ski Slopes, Snow Tubing, and an ice skating rink are all part of the proposal.

Ice Skating, Dry Ski Slopes and Snow Tubing Coming to I-Drive?

So what do you guys think?  I really really doubt this will happen.  It just looks expensive and I'm not sure how many groups would do this type of thing.  The white water rafting course looks cool but I think it should be near the convention center more, heck just build it around the convention center.  I imagine groups using this park for team building more than families.  I also really doubt any extreme sports events happening there as each 'attraction' looks pretty small.  I put this in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' category. 

Universal Studios is planning a pedestrian bridge that will sit above Hollywood Way.  Unfortunately, tax dollars will be used to fund this project.  It is what it is I guess...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-universal-studios-bridge-20130213,0,2142042.story

Update: Here's the image

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/new-sketch.jpg-20130213,0,1722441.photo

From what I heard, Tax money that is being used for the Bridge is coming from the Universal Area Redevelopment Tax, and it is over a city of Orlando road (non-private).  

I'm torn on this one, Maybe Universal should have just paid for it, but I guess one could say that for the amount of money Disney/Universal pumps into the Orlando economy more than covers this. The economic impact of Harry Potter Phase 2, Transformers, future IOA development being talked about, and the new hotel is going to be very nice!

Edited by Suburb Mike

From what I heard, Tax money that is being used for the Bridge is coming from the Universal Area Redevelopment Tax, and it is over a city of Orlando road (non-private).  

I'm torn on this one, Maybe Universal should have just paid for it, but I guess one could say that for the amount of money Disney/Universal pumps into the Orlando economy more than covers this. The economic impact of Harry Potter Phase 2, Transformers, future IOA development being talked about, and the new hotel is going to be very nice!

This has no direct benefit other than to Universal.  And with Scott Maxwell recently bringing to light it took millions of tax dollars because of a "high crime area" loophole.  The timing of this is not good especially when Rosen is willing to pay for a skywalk from his hotel to the convention center.  I have heard Universal may be relocating their offices to Orlando and this may be some kind of incentive, but then let's not put the cart before the horse, make sure we get a commitment before offering any incentives.  I'd rather have my skywalk near Orange and Colonial instead.

Edited by FLheat

DailyCity is reporting that we can expect an announcement soon on the long awaited redo of Pleasure Island.  Apparently, this will be a much larger plan than the originial Hyperon Wharf concept which got shelved without so much as a peep from Team Disney Orlando.  Perhaps TDO is starting to wake up from it's decade long hybernation and bring in some new and visionary ideas, once again.  Anaheim has been outpacing TDO on nearly all fronts since the late 90s.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2013/02/downtown-disney-rumor-calls-for-new.html