Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

A pedestrian bridge helps to solve the issue of safety for walkers crossing this intersection but it does nothing about the second, and potentially more important issue as this area continues to  add density:  what to do about vehicular flow at this intersection? 

This intersection already experiences major gridlock and it'll compound with all future growth.  Is it time to considering submerging Sand Lake Rd to keep SLR traffic moving through while narrowing the ground level area to a more urban principles more in line with the type of development this corridor is now seeing?

Just a thought.

I feel like this would be better placed down by the Convention Center. I'm just not sure about this location. This end of I Drive is not screaming high end. Plus you'd think Convention visitors would be some of the major spenders in a resort like this and it's not connected to the convention center at all. The hotels in the immediate vicinity to this are all pretty low end.

• Like 1

I agree.  The biggest hurdle at this location is the disastrous intersection at Kirkman / International Drive.  Developments of this nature tend to thrive in areas with a higher degree of pedestrian activity.  This would be potentially the most urban development along I-Drive at the least urban location.  

Perhaps this all could change depending on what plans Universal has for this section of I-Drive, but that remains to be seen.

• Like 1

There are rumors floating around about an additional Universal Park (Not the Water Park being built). This would have to almost certainly go on property next to Lockheed. That could possibly make more sense for this hotels location if it did happen. You would think Kirkman would be the new corridor connecting Universals Old and New Parks. Of course this is all here say right now. The Other Option would be building the new park where Wet n wild exists today. Probably could buy out quite a bit of land around there as well. The whole area between wet n wild and this hotel proposal would be primed for redevelopment. 

Edited by UPSDAN

Keep in mind also that something like this would attract more high end businesses to spring up around it. There might not be much up on that end of I-Drive right now, but in a few years, there's no telling what could be there just because of this project having located there.

Keep in mind also that something like this would attract more high end businesses to spring up around it. There might not be much up on that end of I-Drive right now, but in a few years, there's no telling what could be there just because of this project having located there.

If it's built, and that's a big IF, I presume the developer is banking on a Universal expansion onto I Drive (where Wet and Wild is currently located). Such an expansion would greatly transform north I-Drive.

I just got done with an interview for my podcast. The guy I was interviewing mentioned a high-end car dealership going into iSquare. Sounds like the proposed dealerships for Eatonville might've linked up with the iSquare development. That'd be an interesting mix of retailers. On a side note but related Ferrari World also came up in the conversation. Anyone know of a link between the iSq developer and FW?

I just got done with an interview for my podcast. The guy I was interviewing mentioned a high-end car dealership going into iSquare. Sounds like the proposed dealerships for Eatonville might've linked up with the iSquare development. That'd be an interesting mix of retailers. On a side note but related Ferrari World also came up in the conversation. Anyone know of a link between the iSq developer and FW?

I still have very little faith that the iSquare project will ever get off of the ground, but FW and other high-end auto dealerships certainly have a lot more synergy with this concept then they ever did with the Eatonville location

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing says "7 star" like a Subway:  http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/08/exclusive-isquare-mall-hotel-first-retail-tenant.html

Who wants to bet that this development ends up a Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn combo with a retail strip mall?

My thoughts exactly.  The amount of coverage OBJ gives this project is nauseating.  Makes we wonder what the connection is?  Regardless, I've been skeptical from the beginning based on the developer's track record - or lack thereof - with a project even remotely comparable to what's proposed.  I'm even more skeptical now given its reportedly heavy reliance on international financing, meaning this project has gotten drastically more expensive for investors over the last several months as the dollar has strengthened. 

• Like 1

Nothing says "7 star" like a Subway:  http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/08/exclusive-isquare-mall-hotel-first-retail-tenant.html

Who wants to bet that this development ends up a Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn combo with a retail strip mall?

It says a lot when OBJ starts the article with "Exclusive."  They really got the scoop on this one.

• Like 1