Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2015/10/15/i-drive-s-skyplex-faces-set-back-with-planning-and.html

Hopefully the Commission will approve this project in December, realizing that this type of competition is exactly what Orlando needs and is what has resulted in major tourism construction projects over the last decade.  Wallack's assertion that Universal needs to be more concerned by Disney's major expansions rather than I-Drive is spot on.  The Disney Springs (Downtown Disney) expansion alone blows CityWalk out of the water, let alone Avatar and Star Wars in the short term future.

Edited by prahaboheme

I honestly will urge people if they can to go to the meeting and show support. If this does not get built because of Universal. This would be a huge lost to the city economically and global attention. Let's voice our opinion in support, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

OC denied the height variance but did not oppose the project on the whole, correct?

OC didnt deny anything. This was simply a recommendation. OC still votes and has the final say. regardless, I am beyond pissed about the bullcrap politics involved. They want to preserve I Drive and feel this is going in the wrong direction...... WTF........ have any of the Universal execs taken a stroll on that side of I Drive. There is only one solution to it..... RAZE AND REBUILD........ however that costs a lot of money and only BIG BOLD PROJECTS will finance that en devour. 

I heard that they got some Orange Tree residents at the meeting backing them up. Is that a joke. I would like to see if Universal donates to their HOA considering that they are next door. Orange Tree wouldn't even see this thing if it was 1000 feet tall. I have no problem with it and I will be the most affected since it will be on my horizon on the my lake.  

If anyone has contact info or a particular email address to use for the purpose of expressing support for the project, how about posting it here?

Here is the website for all the social media info for Orange County. http://www.orangecountyfl.net/Home/SocialMedia.aspx#.ViRz4RCrRuk 

And a petition for Skyplex (do these things ever really work?) http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/let-skyplex-become-a-symbol-of-orlando-let

• Like 1

Well... isn't that special?

Universal Orlando’s rumored plans for Wet ’n Wild land may rival new I-Drive attractions

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/10/universal-orlando-s-rumored-plans-for-wet-n-wild.html

Yeah, really screams how disingenuous Universal is being in this. They are clearly trying to squash something will compete with there plans. An insane coaster, higher drop towers than Dr. Doom and other unknown stuff.

The newer renderings of the surf features 10 stories up at Screamscape look better than the originals. 

^^

that was in Scott Maxwell's article as well referenced a few posts earlier.  

Apparently there was a report on News 13 either November 4 or 5 where one or more county commissioners spoke out against Universal ala their interference with projects on I-Drive, aka Skyplex.