Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

11 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

^i believe that tower is already vertical.

It is not, they have not started real work on it (just site prep). Should begin real work early next year. 

What you see that is vertical is the Cabana Bay expansion. Two 11 Story towers that add a couple hundred more rooms. 

Exclusive: $400M iSquare developer to pull permits in 2017

Only people subscribed to OBJ can read the article. I'm curious about the new info released on the project. It's been 2 years since we first heard about the project. Hope it finally gets built.........

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2016/12/29/exclusive-400m-isquare-developer-to-pull-permits.html

• 2 weeks later...

Artegon met with their tenants this morning to tell them they are closing the place down in 2 weeks.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/01/12/artegon-orlando-hosts-meeting-to-prep-for-closing.html

No news as to what that means for Ron Jon, the movie theaters, or Bass Pro Shop

Small confirmation... OCPA site shows that none of the tenants actually own any land here.  All three companies above stayed open during the last major overhaul... but they don't own anything, so they might all be closing in 2 weeks as well.

I've only been to Festival Bay Mall a couple of times, never visited when it became Artegon. Can't say that I'll miss it.

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

I never even made it over there.   All of the Main Street directors should be over there to try and scoop tenants 

Agreed, been hoping for some serious retail in the CBD in particular.

14 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Ch 9 reporting that Bass Pro and Cinemark are staying.

Aretegon to close in two weeks.

Undisclosed theme park possibly looking to buy property.

It's weird... it's shown as one lot on the OCPA site... but if you click on it, the cinema and Bass Pro are excluded.

Good for them!  Although, they probably won't stay in the middle of a theme park if that's really what is going to happen there.

I always thought Artegon was a weird concept. Isn't half the fun of buying quirky local art visiting quirky local places? I would rather go on Etsy than drive all the way to Artegon. I agree with @Jernigan: I hope they relocate to the City's Main Street districts.

I was concerned about Gods & Monsters, but I guess they'll be fine. From their FB page: "We are being approached by dozens of awesome potential new spaces, wanting us to move in! So we don't expect to be down long, during this period of transition into a new home." 

• Like 1

So the theme park rumor might have some legs, wow. It was said to be a national amusement park brand. Cedar Fair and Six Flags are really the only two big names in the game that aren't already here. I am really hoping it is Cedar Fair. If it ends up being either of these brands, it would be absolutely huge news. I don't see how they could incorporate the cinema and Bass Pro though.

Edited by Pete C

I'm going to miss that funky see-thru billboard of theirs on I4 westbound just past JYP.

Matt Ouimet, formerly of DCL and now CEO at Cedar Fair, has always liked Orlando (he's also one of the best theme park execs I've ever known of.) Six Flags of course once had the ill-fated Stars Hall of Fame down by Sea World.

3 hours ago, Pete C said:

So the theme park rumor might have some legs, wow. It was said to be a national amusement park brand. Cedar Fair and Six Flags are really the only two big names in the game that aren't already here. I am really hoping it is Cedar Fair. If it ends up being either of these brands, it would be absolutely huge news. I don't see how they could incorporate the cinema and Bass Pro though.

very easy. the movie theater and bass pro shop are both located on the north end. they can simply demo the mall and turn them into stand alone buildings. all the land under the existing mall and parking lot can be merged with that parcel of land to the south to make a chunk of land larger than islands of adventure. 

• Like 2