Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I really liked the concept of Artegon (from the cool signage, the look-and-feel of the interior, interesting mix of vendors and artists, etc.). It's a shame it didn't work out, and I am very sad for the vendors.

That being said, I'm not all that surprised it didn't work out. The tenant mix was odd (a little cool art, and more not so cool junk). The location was terrible (really difficult to get to for most locals). And it was never able to fully shake off the "sad mall" vibe (a lot of empty stores and vendor stalls, and a lack of dining options).  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^^

Skyplex.  Yeah, we're silly.  I don't think it will ever get built.  I don't think they have financing or investors for it.  If they had money, they would have built the Hollywood Garage already.  They haven't yet.  So...

^^

What happened to the 7 star hotel project- Solis- at Kirkman & I-Drive?  No money I'm sure.  Meanwhile, other companies with money are moving forward with future projects in the area.

^^

Artegon.  I spoke to someone who recognized some of the survey team at the mall as being employees of a major theme park company.  Interesting.  Also, the company purchasing the mall is a shell corporation.  And, that company may already have approvals for an easement over the Grand National overpass for a tram or something like that.  So... I am very interested to see how this plays out, because not only do we have the Artegon property, but also that tract of land to the south...that controversial tract of land that Universal had spearheaded to quash past proposals for...perhaps because of their own future plans?

It was reported on the news tonight that some of the business owners in Artegon have hired an attorney and are planning to sue. Some of them are even refusing to close. A few had invested huge amounts of money in their businesses based on claims that were made by the Artegon owners. 

Local business owners claim the Artegon Mall invented reasons to kick them out

• Like 1

The interesting thing about the 7-star hotel mall project at I-Drive and Kirkman is that they're largely moving forward with the shutting down of the shopping centre that is currently there.  Casual Male XL and the Tattoo parlor have both closed, Pio Pio and Aaishnawad are almost finished building standalone buildings across Kirkman (which I really am curious how they are being paid for).  That basically leaves just Subway on the side facing Kirkman.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

The interesting thing about the 7-star hotel mall project at I-Drive and Kirkman is that they're largely moving forward with the shutting down of the shopping centre that is currently there.  Casual Male XL and the Tattoo parlor have both closed, Pio Pio and Aaishnawad are almost finished building standalone buildings across Kirkman (which I really am curious how they are being paid for).  That basically leaves just Subway on the side facing Kirkman.

Is Backstage Billards still open?

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It was reported on the news tonight that some of the business owners in Artegon have hired an attorney and are planning to sue. Some of them are even refusing to close. A few had invested huge amounts of money in their businesses based on claims that were made by the Artegon owners. 

Local business owners claim the Artegon Mall invented reasons to kick them out

I wish I had gotten far enough to see the leases there. Looking through my other leases I don't see how they can just terminate without penalty unless they had it in the lease. So my assumption is the tenants signed a lease they shouldn't. Can't imagine the Artegon parent company had lawyers that bad.

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I wish I had gotten far enough to see the leases there. Looking through my other leases I don't see how they can just terminate without penalty unless they had it in the lease. So my assumption is the tenants signed a lease they shouldn't. Can't imagine the Artegon parent company had lawyers that bad.

There is one line in the news report I linked, that says "The mall claims it gave up on redeveloping Artegon which allows it to terminate at least some of the leases. The lawsuits hit back with the mall's own press releases patting themselves on the back for having already done that redevelopment."

I'm not sure exactly how that works in terms of why if Artegon gave up on redeveloping the mall it would allow them to terminate leases or why if they claimed to have already redeveloped it, would invalidate their being able to terminate leases.

Tough situation, though. I hope the court forces Artegon to reimburse these small business owners for all the money they sank into their businesses only to have the rug yanked out from under them.

Sounds like cold hearted business.

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

There is one line in the news report I linked, that says "The mall claims it gave up on redeveloping Artegon which allows it to terminate at least some of the leases. The lawsuits hit back with the mall's own press releases patting themselves on the back for having already done that redevelopment."

I'm not sure exactly how that works in terms of why if Artegon gave up on redeveloping the mall it would allow them to terminate leases or why if they claimed to have already redeveloped it, would invalidate their being able to terminate leases.

Tough situation, though. I hope the court forces Artegon to reimburse these small business owners for all the money they sank into their businesses only to have the rug yanked out from under them.

Sounds like cold hearted business.

One spot we got close to taking snuck a clause like that into our lease. It basically said if we choose to do something else with the property you must vacate within x days. We countered with a reimbursement clause and they said no so we walked. Probably same thing happened here. Really sucks for any of the big buildouts but there is a lesson in there for people rushing to sign anything they can. Lawyers and brokers are so important to the process but so many people just ignore them.

• Like 3

Megastrom Development:  Well, these guys work fast when they get started.  Over the period of a week it seems, they have erected a second 4 story office building adjacent to the other one.  tilt wall construction.  of course the actual floors haven't gone in yet.

Well, this new Disney Gondola transportation system is quite intriguing. Definitely a cheaper alternative to adding new monorail lines. It can bee cheaper than operating all the buses and can deliver the tourists to the doorsteps of attractions, rather than outside of attractions in bus transfer centers. I like it, and can also get them to and from places a lot faster, as major shortcuts across lakes, swamp, and land can be taken due to limited impact below.    

^^

great points.  If you go to Colorado (Keystone; etc.), Whistler, etc, you can erect these cable car lines with huge chunks of real estate between pylons.  Sterling winery has one in Napa as well that's high volume.  

Personally I think Disney is coming out with this news now because of plans Universal has been looking at to connect it's main property with WetnWild and potentially Artegon property over Grand National if in fact they are buying that, and also the land on Universal Blvd that they may develop.

I say that because Disney also announced a 15 story tower at Coronado with a rooftop restaurant and overlook for the fireworks.  Oh, ok.  Four Seasons has that- but so will Aventura at Universal.  And universal is already building two 12-14 story towers at Cabana Bay.

Also, Disney is trying to get Avatar to open when Volcano Bay opens to steal Universal's thunder.  So, in a nutshell, I think all of these announcements are being done in response to what Universal has planned.

No...I do not work for Comcast.

I think you vastly overestimate Universal's influence on Disneys decision making. You make it seem as if Disney doesn't already have a high rise hotel tower, with rooftop restaurant, specifically built to get night time views into a theme park, when in actuality they conceptualized the idea in the 70s.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

^^

I know, I know...

But there is drama about the timing of Volcano Bay and Avatar Land both opening at the same time...

Also, I was at Universal over the weekend and there were a lot of foreign tourists there.  So I'm wondering whether they are seeing Universal as a bigger threat than before.

22 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

^^

I know, I know...

But there is drama about the timing of Volcano Bay and Avatar Land both opening at the same time...

Also, I was at Universal over the weekend and there were a lot of foreign tourists there.  So I'm wondering whether they are seeing Universal as a bigger threat than before.

Disney definitely seems to be very concerned about what Universal is doing. And this will go both ways too... I wouldn't be terribly surprised that the new Universal / Nintendo rides (or possible 4th gate) launch at a similar time to Star Wars Land, whether its from Universal wanting to steal thunder from Disney or vice versa.

On 2/9/2017 at 9:51 PM, jrs2 said:

And I see weekly when in that area that they haven't, unless something has changed in the last 4 days.

well orlando biz journal is now reporting its half completed lol. Also added a stratosphere-vegas style jump off the building attraction to it, "sky jump", along with the promise that more announcements of new sky rides are coming (likely with further delauys, but still saying 2019 right now)

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/02/23/breaking-skyplex-adds-another-heart-stopping.html?ana=RSS%26s=article_search