Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

On 11/19/2017 at 10:55 AM, spenser1058 said:

I liked this article from WMFE 90.7 about our growing local industry to design theme park attractions. Who better than Orlando to do this? It also helps broaden our tourism economy and allows it to offer better-paying job opportunities.

http://www.wmfe.org/with-theme-parks-spending-orlando-attractions-companies-grow/80444

It's going to be just south of Darden HQ and west of that hotel they reference.

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

New plans for the replacement are in the works for Cirque Du Soleil, Dec 7th announcement. 

I can't wait!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Disney is apparently back in talks with FOX regarding the purchase of some of the latter's studio assets. A new wrinkle is that apparently Comcast (Universal) is also interested. Among other things, a significant chunk of the Marvel franchise is involved.

Given the most recent shot across the bow here in Florida with a Marvel Character Dinner at Universal Orlando, this will be an interesting tussle for us to watch. It could also tie up some Florida expansion dollars for both companies  until we have a winner. Stay tuned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/business/dealbook/disney-21st-century-fox.html

From the NY Times

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Disney is apparently back in talks with FOX regarding the purchase of some of the latter's studio assets. A new wrinkle is that apparently Comcast (Universal) is also interested. Among other things, a significant chunk of the Marvel franchise is involved.

Given the most recent shot across the bow here in Florida with a Marvel Character Dinner at Universal Orlando, this will be an interesting tussle for us to watch. It could also tie up some Florida expansion dollars for both companies  until we have a winner. Stay tuned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/business/dealbook/disney-21st-century-fox.html

From the NY Times

I thought Disney already owned Marvel, even though Universal has the theme park rights in Orlando, no?

• Like 1

IMO, the intellectual property per se is not as important as the technology they use to make rides with, in some cases.  Case in point, the new King Kong ride.  I hated the movie, but the ride is very good.  The cue is good, the ride is good, etc.

I think Universal should make Mario like Mickey Mouse ala live characters for character greetings, etc.  They can bankroll Mario as a full on mascot along the same lines as MM.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 9:32 AM, spenser1058 said:

From the NY Times

CNBC  reports Disney purchase of FOX studio assets likely by next week. This seems to be happening.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

No 7-star hotel for you! I'm shocked - shocked I tell you! I rather like Ken comparing this to God's Skyscraper.

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/12/06/i-drives-megamall-project-isquare-just-took-one-in-the-ipants

From Orlando Weekly

I think this is a fairly big blow to N I-Drive redevelopment.  It's design was eye catching and cutting edge.  I don't get it.  Was Mathin not able to secure arab investment $$$?  I thought for sure he would or did.  It's like the Magic Ent Complex where they demoed the garage prematurely and kicked out all the tenants.  He kicked out his tenants too soon.  Unless he had the $$$ but his investors pulled back for whatever reason.  On a related note, Artegon is still stalled. 

On a positive note, Megastrom finally built bldg 2 this past year behind there after years of delay.  Also, the stalled hotel near Municipal Dr was stalled for a year and a half, but they've been back on track the past 5 mos or so and it looks topped off now.  Grand National bridge opened.  The Grand National Plaza is u/c near Premium.  And Universal's two resort properties' designs for Wet n Wild property look to be finalized and ready to go.

I don't know why some people are happy to see a smaller private developer's project fail.  Maybe government employment is for them.  This country was built on pipedreams.

Is there no way to attach a photo already taken from a cell when using the browser on a mobile device?

Anyway, i drove by Idrive 360 Tuesday night and now there is vertical construction on Starflyer.  The first 20' or so segment is in.  It's hexagonal.  

So, based on my prior post and what's going on at Idrive 360, it seems that the projects with the highest probability to get built are probably gonna get built from entities like Universal, Unicorp, major hoteliers/developer partnerships, and perhaps the Mangos people.  The Mathin team just didn't have what it took i guess.

I was raised with the notion of "underpromise and overdeliver." This guy did exactly the opposite and in talking about a "7-star resort" led me (and apparently many others) to question his competence in taking on such a venture. Sadly, Orlando, as a boomtown, has entirely too many of these types who, as often as not, have been responsible for more than a few debacles.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Doesn't really bother me that much that it's dead.

I always thought it was kind of an odd looking duck to begin with.

Probably an unsustainable idea anyway.

I am firmly of the belief that Orlando has a huge shortage of high end hotels like what was proposed. While its not surprising with the crazy promises (ya know, a 5 star in orlando sounds impressive enough, you don't need to throw the 6th and 7th in there), that this project failed (although apparently they tweeted that their bankruptcy does not mean the project is stalled, lol, I doubt it), I think the core idea of new 5 star hotels is much needed. Forbes has us with none on their list, and only three 4 star hotels, and we're a top travel destination in the world. Palm Beach (2), Naples (1), and Miami (5) are the only ones with 5 stars on their list. AAA has Orlando with one (Four Seasons at Disney). We're worthy of more then one IMHO, and to continue to win conventions over Vegas, I feel like its something executives want, and Vegas clearly wins in that regard over us (with 7 on the AAA list and 5 on the Forbes 5 star list, and 11 on the Forbes 4 star list).

While its in no way surprising and was expected, I am disappointed to see this project fail, and am also disappointed how many people here seemingly wanted it to fail. Wanting it to fail is quite different from expecting it to fail, which I think we all expected it to fail.

Assuming the hotel group partners are actually truly interested, I hope Skyplex or Unicorp (I-Drive 360/I-Shoppes) can pick them up and make something happen with them, their locations are no worse then where this was proposed.

Edited by aent

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think this is a fairly big blow to N I-Drive redevelopment.  It's design was eye catching and cutting edge.  I don't get it.  Was Mathin not able to secure arab investment $$$?  I thought for sure he would or did.  It's like the Magic Ent Complex where they demoed the garage prematurely and kicked out all the tenants.  He kicked out his tenants too soon.  Unless he had the $$$ but his investors pulled back for whatever reason.  On a related note, Artegon is still stalled. 

On a positive note, Megastrom finally built bldg 2 this past year behind there after years of delay.  Also, the stalled hotel near Municipal Dr was stalled for a year and a half, but they've been back on track the past 5 mos or so and it looks topped off now.  Grand National bridge opened.  The Grand National Plaza is u/c near Premium.  And Universal's two resort properties' designs for Wet n Wild property look to be finalized and ready to go.

I don't know why some people are happy to see a smaller private developer's project fail.  Maybe government employment is for them.  This country was built on pipedreams.

Because I work in the "megastrom" complex which is called Kirkman Point to anyone not on these forums.  Pio Pio and Aashinawad moved, but two new places (Perdigon and Dave's Pizza) opened replacing them.

Building 2 is finally built, but for some unknown reason, they built it before the parking garage, and they can't have anyone move into the building until the parking garage is complete because there isn't enough parking otherwise.

The iSquare project was a joke.  It would have looked drastically out of character, and was a transportation nightmare.  Come look at Kirkman between 4-6 any day with everyone from Lockheed and KP trying to get on I4.  You can barely get in and out of that plaza.  Trying to add a major hotel and mall?  It's just the wrong concept for that spot.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Just beyond the Oak Ridge intersection on Grand National, there appear to be ramps leading to I4 (unopen, of course). Is that a thing? If so, it will really help the eastbound I4 disaster in the afternoon.

Grand National is the start/end point for the Express lanes.

• Like 1

More shady dealings from a developer. If Uni ends up with this land back in their pocket, could yet another expansion be on the way (especially while Disney is busy digesting FOX, as seems likely ATM?)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-stan-thomas-foreclosure-20171206-story.html

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058

The thing about the express lanes, the "I-4 Ultimate" is that it is merely a phase 1 of a larger expansion to I-4. Won't be surprised if in the future, the entire I-4 corridor gets the toll lanes in the median. At the very least, it should go south all the way to Champions Gate, and north up to 472/Howland or even SR 44 in DeLand.

28 minutes ago, metal93 said:

The thing about the express lanes, the "I-4 Ultimate" is that it is merely a phase 1 of a larger expansion to I-4. Won't be surprised if in the future, the entire I-4 corridor gets the toll lanes in the median. At the very least, it should go south all the way to Champions Gate, and north up to 472/Howland or even SR 44 in DeLand.

That's already the plan.  It's called BTU, "Beyond the Ultimate".  Because Kirkman --> 528 is so garbage, they've increased priority for that segment and they're supposed to start construction on it by 2019.

http://i4express.com/