Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

the orlando sentinel today mentions a 3,600 room high rise resort replacing the hyatt hotel in the disney/kissimmee area near I-4. no more details were given.

any of you have any more info?

Not sure, but I wonder if this has anything to do with the purchase and demolition of Water Mania across from Celebration.

Not sure, but I wonder if this has anything to do with the purchase and demolition of Water Mania across from Celebration.

I don't think they are related. I haven't heard much about the water mania site but supposedly there is a Golden Corral, of all things, going there eventually. Obviously that's just a small part though, I think the whole site is around 50 acres.

Edited by neon9

the orlando sentinel today mentions a 3,600 room high rise resort replacing the hyatt hotel in the disney/kissimmee area near I-4. no more details were given.

any of you have any more info?

when it said replacing-did it mean as in tearing it down and putting up something new-or someone just taking over the management and maybe adding rooms to it? The Hyatt's huge-and I feel it would be hard to replace-can't see someone really tearing down and starting over there. I'm sure they didn't say much else-just wondering.

when it said replacing-did it mean as in tearing it down and putting up something new-or someone just taking over the management and maybe adding rooms to it? The Hyatt's huge-and I feel it would be hard to replace-can't see someone really tearing down and starting over there. I'm sure they didn't say much else-just wondering.

i dont think you are thinking about the same hyatt. i am not talking about the hyatt grand cypress (which is beautiful and huge). the article was refering to the hyatt hotel that has been closed down for quite some time collecting dust. this hotel is set up with 1-2 story buildings that are spread apart. it would be an easier undertaking to demolish them than the current demolishing of the delta resort.

when driving westbound on I-4 near the 192 interchange, you will see it on your left hand side or eastbound on your right hand side. it is right up against I-4. the article said "replacing" with a 3600 room high rise resort.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pointe Orlando condos--- went by the site last nite; there's bulldozers and construction trailers on the site close to the hotel adjacent to it. they've also kicked up more sand/dirt.

If anyone lives around there, can you get a picture of this?

Is Pointe Orlando really completely being torn down? The Muvico Theaters and all the shops?

the area on turkey lake road where eden springs is going to be built is being cleared at a lightning pace. its almost ready for ground work.

When I first spoke to the sales agents about Eden Springs resort they said it was actually being developed where the old Yogi Bear ?Club? was-and where the land is being developed is not where the Yogi Bear ?Club? was when I looked it up. You know I went by the spot we are discussing the other day - and out of all things - guess what the signs are saying what's being built- A WALMART!!!! I'm very dissappointed-I'm sure others will be too. Prime waterfront real estate being developed by Walmart-WHY??? I really hope I read it wrong. Again-I REALLY hope I'm wrong!

Edited by shaun

When I first spoke to the sales agents about Eden Springs resort they said it was actually being developed where the old Yogi Bear ?Club? was-and where the land is being developed is not where the Yogi Bear ?Club? was when I looked it up. You know I went by the spot we are discussing the other day - and out of all things - guess what the signs are saying what's being built- A WALMART!!!! I'm very dissappointed-I'm sure others will be too. Prime waterfront real estate being developed by Walmart-WHY??? I really hope I read it wrong. Again-I REALLY hope I'm wrong!

ok..... im officially NIMBY :( .

What the---?

I saw that clearing from I-4 off Turkey Lake Road too on Sunday. Wal-Mart? No, it can't be... the lot isn't deep enough. or is it?

Pointe Orlando-- they are only remodeling it; the only demo work was FAO and the XS arcade bldg; and something else fronting I-Drive; and other small stuff. they are also building new framework for new bldgs.

Edited by JRS1

If anyone lives around there, can you get a picture of this?

Is Pointe Orlando really completely being torn down? The Muvico Theaters and all the shops?

There's a bit of confusion on these projects. There is Pointe Orlando which is the mall on I-Drive near the convention center, which is being refurbished.

Then on the corner of Carrier & Universal is the Point Orlando hotel/timeshare/condo deal.

If I get a hankering for Chili's this weekend I'll drive by the hotel site & take some pictures.

ive got a good view across big sand lake from my house. luckily, the land clearing for wal mart does not extend anywhere near the lake nor am i going to have to stare at an ugly box when it eventually gets built. there is more land there than it looks.

since ive pinpointed sage and eden springs with the help of others on this forum...... does anybody know anything planned for all that lakefront land north of sand lake residences, behind "the big box", and east of vizcaya?

more condos? the ones vizcaya built sold like hotcakes.

Edited by shardoon

ive got a good view across big sand lake from my house. luckily, the land clearing for wal mart does not extend anywhere near the lake nor am i going to have to stare at an ugly box when it eventually gets built. there is more land there than it looks.

since ive pinpointed sage and eden springs...... does anybody know anything planned for all that lakefront land north of sand lake residences, behind "the big box", and east of vizcaya?

more condos? the ones vizcaya built sold like hotcakes.

The only other condo's I know about being built in the area are the one's in the new project called Rialto where the old hotel used to be on sand lake just past the chick-fil-a. I just got an e-mail the other day saying the same developer who built the condo's downtown called Solaire at the Plaza has been named as the developer for those. It's called Intermezzo at Rialto- 1-2-3 bed condo's starting at $300,000.

The only other condo's I know about being built in the area are the one's in the new project called Rialto where the old hotel used to be on sand lake just past the chick-fil-a. I just got an e-mail the other day saying the same developer who built the condo's downtown called Solaire at the Plaza has been named as the developer for those. It's called Intermezzo at Rialto- 1-2-3 bed condo's starting at $300,000.

$300K for a 1-bedroom on Sand Lake?!!!!??!!

wow-how exciting is that. But-2,200 acres is a lot of land-how much can really go around the area to make it become the true "downtown" of Orange County? I understand we can go further around the 2,200 acres but truly how much land is there? I wish I had a map of the area to show how much true developable land there is. Not trying to be a pessimist about this-but just wondering how great this area could truly be?

I read it.

I wonder it the WTC Orlando might be part of this plan.

That would make sense.

I see this as higher class construction, but still 95% tourist related and dependant. That doesn't make it bad.... It's great for conventions, it's just the average Orlando metro resident will still not have much of a reason to visit except to play tourist once or twice a year and just go sightsee some weekend when we have nothing else to do.

wow-how exciting is that. But-2,200 acres is a lot of land-how much can really go around the area to make it become the true "downtown" of Orange County? I understand we can go further around the 2,200 acres but truly how much land is there? I wish I had a map of the area to show how much true developable land there is. Not trying to be a pessimist about this-but just wondering how great this area could truly be?

Seems like the paper does a story at least once a year about this project. From what I understand, at least part of the area is the area north of the convention center that horses currently occupy.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think people are coming down to International Drive to shoot skeet and ride horses...hell if they really wanted to sell a visit to the wilderness they could do that in the property's currently undeveloped state.

Last article I read about this, they had a quote from John Morgan, who owns the Wonderworks bldg. He sounded pretty skeptical, and I can't blame him... Right now, maybe it's just a scheme to keep their agricultural exemption on the property.