Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Will the opening of SW:GE at DHS eclipse the opening of Harry Potter at IOA? News13 thinks it might:

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2019/05/29/disney-s-star-wars-land-set-to-open-at-end-of-august

Keep in mind, however, that by design, the opening of the land’s major attraction, SW: Rise of the Resistance, is being delayed until later.

Also interesting is that Disneyland is opening their version as the California park heads into its busy summer season while Florida’s is opening during the lull between school starting and the busy fall period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Will the opening of SW:GE at DHS eclipse the opening of Harry Potter at IOA? News13 thinks it might:

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2019/05/29/disney-s-star-wars-land-set-to-open-at-end-of-august

Keep in mind, however, that by design, the opening of the land’s major attraction, SW: Rise of the Resistance, is being delayed until later.

Also interesting is that Disneyland is opening their version as the California park heads into its busy summer season while Florida’s is opening during the lull between school starting and the busy fall period.

I think it might because of the IP involved.  HP is still very popular; met someone in OH that comes down to Orlando solely to go to Universal and HP.

Disney will always be Disney, though...  SW just adds to the mystique.

But, Nintendo should send Universal into another level I think...

• Like 1

The sometimes odd drive to leave virtually no piece of WDW property untouched by Disney IP trundles on with this latest rumor that The Wave, a casual table service location on the ground floor of the Contemporary Resort, will be converted to the Incredibles Steakhouse.

Following in the footsteps of Signature dining location Artist Point converting into a Snow White character meal and Mizner’s Lounge at the Grand Floridian going to a Beauty and the Beast theme (don’t get me started on whatever happened to consistent theming), who knows what’s next.

We can only hope focus groups will figure out this is a bridge too far and leave at least a few pieces of the Vacation Kingdom for the grownups.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/05/rumor-the-wave-at-disneys-contemporary-resort-set-to-become-the-incredibles-steakhouse/

From WDW News Today

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The sometimes odd drive to leave virtually no piece of WDW property untouched by Disney IP trundles on with this latest rumor that The Wave, a casual table service location on the ground floor of the Contemporary Resort, will be converted to the Incredibles Steakhouse.

Following in the footsteps of Signature dining location Artist Point into a Snow White character meal and Mizner’s Lounge at the Grand Floridian going to a Beauty and the Beast theme (don’t get me started on whatever happened to consistent theming), who knows what’s next.

We can only hope focus groups will figure out this is a bridge too far and leave at least a few pieces of the Vacation Kingdom for the grownups.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/05/rumor-the-wave-at-disneys-contemporary-resort-set-to-become-the-incredibles-steakhouse/

From WDW News Today

Ok.  

1.  I like "trundles."  gonna start using it.  Thanks for expanding my lexicon.

2.  The Incredibles Steakhouse.  If it makes them more money, then what the hec do I know?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

They are building an upscale LaQuinta branded hotel near my house.
I am unable to see the name but I'll get a shot today if I can.
You people are a bit more resourceful than I am , and might know what it is.

So I believe it's some kind of LaQuinta. 

Smaller project but coming along nicely 

IMG_20190603_082255.jpg

IMG_20190603_082311.jpg

IMG_20190603_082305.jpg

IMG_20190603_082445.jpg

IMG_20190603_082359.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 4:49 PM, spenser1058 said:

New coaster coming to Sea World in 2020:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-seaworld-ride-tease-20190601-ahdr7byncrd5pkjel2at22z4by-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel

With BEER and coasters, who needs a whale!?!

Very good news.  I forgot about Infinity Falls.  They should keep pushing the envelope with these new coasters.  They should probably develop a coaster called Orca and make it Cedar Point-ish in scale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Could there be a Brasil pavilion at long last at Epcot’s World Showcase?

https://wdwnt.com/2019/06/breaking-brazil-pavilion-will-open-with-no-attraction-in-2022-at-epcot/

From WDW News Today

yeah...so far, the southern most country there has been Mexico...  I wonder if Mexicans listen to Pink Floyd....maybe Trump thinks they do...

with Brazil they can do that parade every year during Mardi Gras, right...Carnivale?  That would be awesome...(punch- counter- punch vs Universal)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

yeah...so far, the southern most country there has been Mexico...  I wonder if Mexicans listen to Pink Floyd....maybe Trump thinks they do...

with Brazil they can do that parade every year during Mardi Gras, right...Carnivale?  That would be awesome...(punch- counter- punch vs Universal)

I was in Mexico City for a free Roger Waters show in the Zocalo.  Let's just say a small following in Mexico.

zocalo.jpg.98bef2480233b865b834caf114565872.jpg

Edited by smileguy
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Pointe Orlando is getting a $32 million redo:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4781-pointe-due-for-a-sharpening

From Scott J

in that first rendering, it looks like they are going to create a ground level walkway through former retail spaces adjacent to that stairwell to Opa as well to allow a cut through all the way to the cinema building's 1st level.  Is that your take also?

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

in that first rendering, it looks like they are going to create a ground level walkway through former retail spaces adjacent to that stairwell to Opa as well to allow a cut through all the way to the cinema building's 1st level.  Is that your take also?

AFAIK. The last time I went to Pointe Orlando was to go to FAO Schwarz so I’m waaaay behind the curve, I’m afraid.

15 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

AFAIK. The last time I went to Pointe Orlando was to go to FAO Schwarz so I’m waaaay behind the curve, I’m afraid.

omg, what a tragedy… FAO no longer around...  I really lamented their closing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

wow.  they want to siphon off all northbound ER traffic from Dr. Phillips Hospital...

Well, OH and AH no longer are respecting the old boundaries. OH now has facilities across from AH’s Altamonte hospital and is opening in WP. 

With the CoN rules severely weakened, it’s gonna get weird.

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, OH and AH no longer are respecting the old boundaries. OH now has facilities across from AH’s Altamonte hospital and is opening in WP. 

With the CoN rules severely weakened, it’s gonna get weird.

yeah...OH recently opened up that center at Par & Clay, a few blocks north of FH South.   Is this the WP location you mentioned?

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

yeah...OH recently opened up that center at Par & Clay, a few blocks north of FH South.   Is this the WP location you mentioned?

They’re also moving into WP proper and I’m guessing they’ll also plant their flag over by the old WP Memorial Hospital.

Progress on TRON at MK:

https://wdwnt.com/2019/06/photos-even-more-track-installation-progress-at-tron-lightcycle-power-run-6-3-19/

From WDW News Today 

6 minutes ago, aent said:

Did they actually weaken the CoN rules? I thought they just discovered standalone ERs are exempt as long as no hospital is attached

Standalone ERs have been a go for a while. The Legislature passed the weakened CoN rules just before sine die this year.

UPDATE: Just waiting for DeSantis to sign (he’s expected to).

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/florida-may-eliminate-certificate-need-requirement-new-hospitals

Edited by spenser1058

On 6/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, spenser1058 said:

Standalone ERs have been a go for a while. The Legislature passed the weakened CoN rules just before sine die this year.

UPDATE: Just waiting for DeSantis to sign (he’s expected to).

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/florida-may-eliminate-certificate-need-requirement-new-hospitals

maybe he's waiting to consult Scott on how to handle healthcare facilities... (I'm so trying to hold back from laughing my bum off)

• Haha 1