Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Sorry, I think I misrepresented that a little bit. To steal an image from Google:

nmw6x7viuhr01.jpg

The red parcels north and east of Universal Blvd are the new purchase.... Universal previously owned the purple parcels (original foreclosure) and lime green (previous purchase from Stan Thomas, but left out the red parcels as they were in the process of getting foreclosed on)

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aent said:

Sorry, I think I misrepresented that a little bit. To steal an image from Google:

nmw6x7viuhr01.jpg

The red parcels north and east of Universal Blvd are the new purchase.... Universal previously owned the purple parcels (original foreclosure) and lime green (previous purchase from Stan Thomas, but left out the red parcels as they were in the process of getting foreclosed on)

Didn't Unicorp propose to build out on the east side of Universal Blvd. across from I-Drive 360 like last year, when they proposed the development off Palm Parkway?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Didn't Unicorp propose to build out on the east side of Universal Blvd. across from I-Drive 360 like last year, when they proposed the development off Palm Parkway?

Yes, they put it in the master plan, but never purchased the property. I believe once Universal was involved with Stan Thomas and actively negotiating, they did what it took to get him to stop subdividing the land further. Unicorp then moved onto O-Town West from my understanding.

Plus, its not like Unicorp has a shortage of land in that area for the future. I believe they own the Wyndham site and Kings Plaza, and plan to redevelop the surface parking lots of Icon. Thats a fair amount of land they don't seem to be moving very fast with.

Infact, I believe before they did what they did for the Element Hotel, I recall they were originally trying to move Charlie's Steakhouse into the first floor of the hotel, and demolish the plaza west of Kings so the road could go through to their Wyndham property. Charlie's resisted that plan. I imagine once Universal is closer to opening, and probably builds a value resort across the street from that, at some point, Unicorp will push forward with that plan.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aent said:

Yes, they put it in the master plan, but never purchased the property. I believe once Universal was involved with Stan Thomas and actively negotiating, they did what it took to get him to stop subdividing the land further. Unicorp then moved onto O-Town West from my understanding.

Plus, its not like Unicorp has a shortage of land in that area for the future. I believe they own the Wyndham site and Kings Plaza, and plan to redevelop the surface parking lots of Icon. Thats a fair amount of land they don't seem to be moving very fast with.

Infact, I believe before they did what they did for the Element Hotel, I recall they were originally trying to move Charlie's Steakhouse into the first floor of the hotel, and demolish the plaza west of Kings so the road could go through to their Wyndham property. Charlie's resisted that plan. I imagine once Universal is closer to opening, and probably builds a value resort across the street from that, at some point, Unicorp will push forward with that plan.

wow.  Skyplex is sandwiched between two of Universal's chunks of land.  

Wyndham is supposed to demolish a few of the two-story hotel buildings and replace them with a couple of towers and then expand their convention space.  They are good at booking shows and events.

I saw a conflicting bit of info on I-Drive 360.  One writing stated that the two new rides (tower and slingshot) will now go where the apartment building was originally proposed to go on the back side in that parking lot along Universal Blvd.  But another article said those two new rides are going next to dude's new restaurant near Uncle Julio's.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

wow.  Skyplex is sandwiched between two of Universal's chunks of land.  

Wyndham is supposed to demolish a few of the two-story hotel buildings and replace them with a couple of towers and then expand their convention space.  They are good at booking shows and events.

I saw a conflicting bit of info on I-Drive 360.  One writing stated that the two new rides (tower and slingshot) will now go where the apartment building was originally proposed to go on the back side in that parking lot along Universal Blvd.  But another article said those two new rides are going next to dude's new restaurant near Uncle Julio's.

I was there last weekend and the rides are going near Uncle Julio’s. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

We’re #1! Congrats to OCCC. Thank you for playing, Chicago and the others...

https://twitter.com/ocflmayor/status/1179417352317870083?s=21

Two weekends ago was the Auto Show.  at the same time as the Home Show.  At the same time as a Bridal Expo.   You could hardly tell they were all in the same convention center.   I feel like that thing can house an air show in there at this point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Six Flags has made an acquisition offer to Cedar Fair and is in talks to finalize a merger. 

Interesting. . . 

Cedar Fair is well run - Six Flags is often shoddy (going back to one of its original execs who had been fired by Walt for being shady). I hope this doesn’t happen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._V._Wood

Edited by spenser1058

Theme Park Insider and Wells Fargo aren’t biting on the Six Flags - Cedar Fair merger... thank God.

More Wall Street madness. Shakespeare got it wrong - instead of killing all the lawyers, the financial types are the true evildoers.

Stuff like this makes me think more and more highly of Elizabeth Warren.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201910/7040/

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Darn. It was an exciting view of two teens throwing pumpkins backward over their heads into a pool of gators at Gatorland, our #1 multi-day Park experience along with the Tupperware tour (do they still do those?)

was their intent to hit the gators?  were they wearing straw hats like the Family Auto Mart bunch out of Brevard?  did it make those gators angry like Bill Bixby's character in the '70's?  am I tripping right now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:13 PM, spenser1058 said:

Is Universal’s road deal to expand Kirkman Road fair to Orange County’s taxpayers? 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-universal-orange-county-road-20191003-pvjqjtkjlrcxdebyrw63qdabcm-story.html

From the Sentinel 

that article was like a book!

the locals around there just don't want to get priced out of their neighborhood (Williamsburg).  I don't blame them.  I guess that's why a lot of "townies" in Daytona never wanted to see that burg prosper on the beachside.  

lots of utility lines that have to be moved for the Kirkman extension.  Thank God they plan to redo the interchange with SLR- that explains a good chunk of the $300M+ price tag.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Portillo’s Chicago hot dogs are coming to O-Town West:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-portillos-orlando-restaurant-20191009-tic7exnvkza2pjb34rchhaotdy-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Not sure I’m ready to give up Hot Dog Heaven yet...

they're in Tampa or rather Brandon I think.

Looks like the Daryl Carter expansion is beginning. Besides the faceted that the striping is complete on the Pulte road portion, the back end Fenton road has a new felted fence with construction company ads and has a very fresh thin coat of asphalt over the gravel. I suspect that Fenton road is going to be used as a construction entrance.

• Like 1