Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

In the short term, there will be much pain for industry workers other than Disney folks. Let’s all volunteer and help out where we can.

However, the industry will be able to ramp up quickly after the crisis passes. With so many new attractions in the pipeline as WDW gears up for its 50th and Universal goes Epic, we’ll get through this.

Remember also both Disney and USF, along with the major hotels, have large marketing staffs that can run huge promotions as required to get things up and running.

it’s a far cry from the ‘70’s when we were mostly just a mom and pop Industry town.

For now, stay safe and some down time could be a little blessing for those who stay healthy after several years running at peak capacity.

Edited by spenser1058

The Sentinel announces the Hyatt adjoining OCCC (fka The Peabody *quack*} is closed until May. OC Mayor Jerry Demings predicts more hotel closures to come. FL Rep. Carlos G. Smith suggests the county investigate ways to temporarily house laid off workers in shuttered hotels.

Meanwhile, Simon, the largest mall operator in the US, is closing its facilities due to COVID-19. Locally, that would include Florida Mall and the I-Drive and LBV Premium Outlets.

Millennia, although not Simon’s quite yet, will also close (some restaurants will remain open).

I saw a tweet today saying analysts at Chase were predicting negative GDP growth in Q1 and Q2 (two consecutive quarters of negative growth usually denotes a recession) but that significant growth will resume in Q3 and Q4. Of course, that depends on the virus and the reaction to it. Stay tuned...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-coronavirus-orlando-hotels-closing-20200318-orppyv5cnzeufd6xxuawep6mse-story.html

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-health-coronavirus-florida-mall-simon-20200318-5aeryrfwe5bbxnpzcjllwhlq6m-story.html

Edited by spenser1058

On 3/16/2020 at 8:19 PM, shardoon said:

On growth spotter there was a miami developer planning a three 20 story tower convention hotel for 2000 rooms behind endless summer resort. I'm sure those plans will be on hold for a while now. 

interesting.  any more info on this project?

Theme Park Insider reports Cedar Fair, one of the larger second tier theme park operators, has announced its parks will be closed until mid-May or later.

While this doesn’t affect our Orlando parks, don’t be surprised if ours decide to follow a similar timeline.

California’s governor has already issued orders likely to keep Disneyland, USH and Sea World San Diego closed until then so similar moves for the Florida parks may be coming.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202003/7339/

Please note nothing has been announced beyond the end of March for Orlando’s parks as of yet.

Edited by spenser1058

We got word today at universal that we are probably going to be out of work til at least May 8th .....

so as a Tipped employee we are going to be hit the hardest by this.  No idea how in the world this is all going to shake out. We are getting changing responses and statements non stop. 

it seems our parks are going to be closed for at least another month or two. Head is spinning still by all this 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Pieson said:

We got word today at universal that we are probably going to be out of work til at least May 8th .....

so as a Tipped employee we are going to be hit the hardest by this.  No idea how in the world this is all going to shake out. We are getting changing responses and statements non stop. 

it seems our parks are going to be closed for at least another month or two. Head is spinning still by all this 

For anyone facing a difficult financial situation, it might be worth calling the Orlando Area United Way Help Line @ phone number #211. They are known to offer assistance paying rent, utility bills and groceries. I'm sure their resources are limited, but with everything going on I'm sure the sooner you reach out to them, the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

For anyone facing a difficult financial situation, it might be worth calling the Orlando Area United Way Help Line @ phone number #211. They are known to offer assistance paying rent, utility bills and groceries. I'm sure their resources are limited, but with everything going on I'm sure the sooner you reach out to them, the better.

Rep. Eskamani has a terrific resources, including programs for specific industries and Orange County rental assistance information.  It also has great info for small businesses and a number of different facets impacting the region.  I advise everyone to scroll through.  https://annaforflorida.com/2020/03/21/florida-coronavirus-update-3-12-2020/ 

• Like 3

On 3/21/2020 at 7:48 AM, shardoon said:

Hotel list growing. Four seasons, Ritz and JW (although these were announced as of today, but coming hear)

pardon me, but can you remind me if this list is about which hotel may be going near I-Drive from your prior post?  thx!

Disney has purchased an additional 26.5 acres on the south side of Reedy Lake on the western side of WDW.

We do not know if it will just be environmental mitigation so that other property in the heart of the resort may be built on or if there are plans for actual use.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202004/7364/

From Theme Park Insider 

Sea World has lost yet another CEO, it’s fourth in five years. Sea World was having issues even before the COVID-19 emergency, leaving many to question whether it will survive the next year.

As usual, this instability comes about in no small part because of the private equity firm that controls it. The last stable management the company saw was during the ownership of Anheuser -Busch.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-seaworld-ceo-resigns-20200406-rrblgxw7a5gzbdua2twd7u3twy-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058