Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Today's OBJ states Blue Rose has reconfigured their plans to add an additional 252 rooms due to strong demand. It also notes the FAA has approved the towers' height up to 450 feet. Construction slated to begin at the end of the year.

Edited by GRS328

Today's OBJ states Blue Rose has reconfigured their plans to add an additional 252 rooms due to strong demand. It also notes the FAA has approved the towers' height up to 450 feet. Construction slated to begin at the end of the year.

now what in GOD's name is the faa regulating the height to only 450 feet in that side of town? there should theoretically be not much of a limit there.

unless, blue rose only asked for 450 feet. should i assume that if blue rose asked for 650, 700, or even 1000 feet that the faa would have approved it up to the height asked for?

Could you send me the link to that article please? I saw the OBJ today but didn't see that article....

Could you send me the link to that article please? I saw the OBJ today but didn't see that article....

Sorry, it's only in the paper edtion so far. OBJ doesn't put the articles online until the following week after the paper issue is out.

now what in GOD's name is the faa regulating the height to only 450 feet in that side of town? there should theoretically be not much of a limit there.

unless, blue rose only asked for 450 feet. should i assume that if blue rose asked for 650, 700, or even 1000 feet that the faa would have approved it up to the height asked for?

didn't someone post a while back that the rest of the county has a similar height limit? If not, then this is ridiculous. unless, as you said, they only asked for 450'.

didn't someone post a while back that the rest of the county has a similar height limit? If not, then this is ridiculous. unless, as you said, they only asked for 450'.

I think they asked for 450. If they had asked for anything over 600 this board will still be humming about it.

Impressive design. I didn't want a new tallest in the attractions area, yet I suppose it was inevitable. At least its within the city limits.

When Blue Rose gets built and becomes a new tallest, maybe it will create a competition of sorts to get the tallest back in downtown.

Has anyone heard of this new Orlando Cay Club. I don't know the location-just happened to find it on the web. http://www.viviun.com/AD-54204/ I guess it's some type of Club (obviously) you can join-but is it a condo hotel? is this residential? Where is it? If I find out more I'll write.

That is the existing Eaglewood Golf Course and apartments on Oak Ridge just west of John Young Parkway. It looks like they are turning the golf course into soccer fields from the site plan. It is a partnership with IMG Academies. There is a similar development down in Bradenton where the condo owners have access to IMG's various sports facilities and Bollitieri tennis academy.

That is the existing Eaglewood Golf Course and apartments on Oak Ridge just west of John Young Parkway. It looks like they are turning the golf course into soccer fields from the site plan. It is a partnership with IMG Academies. There is a similar development down in Bradenton where the condo owners have access to IMG's various sports facilities and Bollitieri tennis academy.

Soccer Academies huh? Could be a good thing to have in Orlando-even though I'm not a soccer fan I know a ton of ppl that are. Wonder if that'll bring in some high end soccer names - something like a Davind Leadbetter Golf Academy - Maybe a David Beckem Soccer (oh sorry) Football Academy in Orlando?? Could attract a few more Brits to the states...? With all the numbers being tossed around how Football is the number one watched sport in the world - maybe we should capture this attraction in Orlando. God knows we have enough of a diverse crowd that lives here or at least visits here every year-it might work.

Soccer Academies huh? Could be a good thing to have in Orlando-even though I'm not a soccer fan I know a ton of ppl that are. Wonder if that'll bring in some high end soccer names - something like a Davind Leadbetter Golf Academy - Maybe a David Beckem Soccer (oh sorry) Football Academy in Orlando?? Could attract a few more Brits to the states...? With all the numbers being tossed around how Football is the number one watched sport in the world - maybe we should capture this attraction in Orlando. God knows we have enough of a diverse crowd that lives here or at least visits here every year-it might work.

Orlando already has a Soccer Acadamy (AJAX Orlando) with affiliation to AJAX Amsterdam of the premier League.

Edited by cwetteland

Clipped from the OBJ article...

John Dorman, deputy director of the Orlando Centroplex, which operates five city venues including TD Waterhouse Centre, confirmed that contract talks are ongoing for the new team.

Dorman says the Orlando Magic, the National Basketball League team that now leases TD Waterhouse Centre, has been made aware of the new franchise's interest in sharing the facility. He says the Magic are supportive as long as any potential scheduling conflicts are ironed out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I love how the Magic granted their approval..... Who the heck are they to say who the centroplex rents the city owned facility to??? This is another reason why people get upset about spending public money for a new arena. The Magic seem to claim it as theirs when it's not. It belongs to the people of Orlando They are a tenant just like anyone else.

I love how the Magic granted their approval..... Who the heck are they to say who the centroplex rents the city owned facility to??? This is another reason why people get upset about spending public money for a new arena. The Magic seem to claim it as theirs when it's not. It belongs to the people of Orlando They are a tenant just like anyone else.

Technically, you are correct, but would an Orlando Arena have ever been built if we didn't get a franchise from the NBA?? I seriously doubt it would have happened (at least at that time).

Technically, you are correct, but would an Orlando Arena have ever been built if we didn't get a franchise from the NBA?? I seriously doubt it would have happened (at least at that time).

You're right. The arena probably would not have been built for another five or ten years, and almost certainly would have been built as some sort of addition to the convention center in Orange County instead of downtown.

The Orange County convention center actually started out as a quasi civic center / arena/ convention center. It tried to be all three and was not good at either. I remember going to concerts there in the early 80's. It had the worst sound ever...

Edited by facilities man

Tourist board approves resort tax hike

Orange County's Tourist Development Council voted 6 to 1 Thursday, with hotelier Harris Rosen opposing, to recommend to the Board of County Commissioners an additional sixth cent of resort tax.

Orlando Business Journal Article

Aww... so sorry Rosen :( Just keep donating your money to the JCC.

Yes! More money for the city! :thumbsup: