Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

On 3/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, orange87 said:

What’s going on with Pointe Orlando? I went there today and it was an abandoned ghost town. Like two restaurants were open and the rest is vacant. It was eerie. 

I know its not totally true but in my mind Pointe Orlando has always had a degree of abandonedness to it.  Whether it was the original incarnation as an outdoor mall or its current configuration.   Two of my friends worked at the Gap there in highschool and we always used to just hang in there weeknights because noone came into the store.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, codypet said:

I know its not totally true but in my mind Pointe Orlando has always had a degree of abandonedness to it.  Whether it was the original incarnation as an outdoor mall or its current configuration.   Two of my friends worked at the Gap there in highschool and we always used to just hang in there weeknights because noone came into the store.

It was poorly conceived from the get go. The novelty factor of FAO Schwarz gave it some cachet at the beginning, but once that was gone there really wasn’t much to recommend it. It was inconvenient for locals in cars and convention folks to walk to. I always wondered if the planner was someone who never saw the site.

One thing for us who were teens in Dr. Phillips was that why would we pay for parking when we could at the time drive due north and hit West Oaks (it hadn't quite started its decline yet) or the Florida Mall  (Which at the time still had two Dillards and wasn't as big and popular and a traffic snafu as it is today)  if we were going to shop?  To go the movies we had Pleasure Island and at the time City walk was free after 5.  Pointe Orlando was needlessly expensive for our taste and you still had to drive anywhere else to do something besides watching a movie.  Like I said I'd only go when my friends were working and that was because the could validate parking at the time.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

Waaay back in gay.com days, there was a guy who moved down (I think he might have been a former College Program alum) and tried to start a small live theater company there. It very quickly went nowhere and he was begging us to come to a performance. 

We hated to tell him the performing arts were more likely to thrive in Winter Garden than Pointe Orlando (it turns out we were right - the Garden Theater is doing OK; the Pointe, not so much).

18 hours ago, codypet said:

One thing for us who were teens in Dr. Phillips was that why would we pay for parking when we could at the time drive due north and hit West Oaks (it hadn't quite started its decline yet) or the Florida Mall  (Which at the time still had two Dillards and wasn't as big and popular and a traffic snafu as it is today)  if we were going to shop?  To go the movies we had Pleasure Island and at the time City walk was free after 5.  Pointe Orlando was needlessly expensive for our taste and you still had to drive anywhere else to do something besides watching a movie.  Like I said I'd only go when my friends were working and that was because the could validate parking at the time.

Funny - this Dr. Phillips teen (and tween) spent tons of time at Pointe Orlando - when we were still carpooling/being dropped of by our parents.  To your point, we ended up there much less once we were driving.  Although seeing a late movie and then walking over to the Peabody/B-Line Diner for midnight dinner is a great tradition/memory from that era. 

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 5:36 PM, uncreativeusername said:

Funny - this Dr. Phillips teen (and tween) spent tons of time at Pointe Orlando - when we were still carpooling/being dropped of by our parents.  To your point, we ended up there much less once we were driving.  Although seeing a late movie and then walking over to the Peabody/B-Line Diner for midnight dinner is a great tradition/memory from that era. 

If I had to guess I'd imagine you graduated high school 4-6 years after I did  (Sometime between 2006 & 2008).  By that time City Walk should have been too busy to deal with to make it worth visiting, and Pleasure Island would have been a relative ghost town.

Incidentally around the time I graduated the Crossroads was pretty much a dead strip center too.  I was actually surprised when it got its resurgence in the early 2010s.

15 hours ago, codypet said:

If I had to guess I'd imagine you graduated high school 4-6 years after I did  (Sometime between 2006 & 2008).  By that time City Walk should have been too busy to deal with to make it worth visiting, and Pleasure Island would have been a relative ghost town.

Incidentally around the time I graduated the Crossroads was pretty much a dead strip center too.  I was actually surprised when it got its resurgence in the early 2010s.

PI was so much further it wasn't worth it. I also have a vague memory of free parking at City Walk after five ending at some point. 

Was the Steak and Shake at Crossroads? I know it was in the general vicinity. That was our one other late-night food go-to besides the B-Line.  

16 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

PI was so much further it wasn't worth it. I also have a vague memory of free parking at City Walk after five ending at some point. 

Was the Steak and Shake at Crossroads? I know it was in the general vicinity. That was our one other late-night food go-to besides the B-Line.  

It wasn't in the crossroads, it was about a mile north.  But yea it was our late night go-to as well.  Yes I remember when the free parking ended and we pretty much wrote City Walk off after that.   Funny because to this day I still catch myself thinking the parking is free at City Walk after 5 today even though its not.

38 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Daryl Carter extension opened.  Now I am just waiting on the interchange. This will save me 10 min off my commute to and from home. It is amazing how that will add up. 20 min a day X 5 days a week X 52 weeks is giving me 3.6 days back of my life each year. 

Oooh you got a few years on that one.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now it’s official- “Mears Connect” will be picking up where Disney’s Magical Express leaves off (and just as it did before DME arrived):

https://wdwnt.com/2021/04/mears-announces-mears-connect-new-direct-express-airport-to-disney-resort-service-scheduled-to-fill-magical-express-void-in-2022/

From WDW News Today 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

So what's the difference then?  Disney branding?  This effectively would go back to the shuttle service back in the 90's  except not in Econoline vans?

That’s pretty much it but guests will be paying for it again. It will also be interesting to see if Disney offers it with their vacation packages.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

May 3 is the opening date for Florida’s first White Castle in over 50 years at O-town West. Will @jgardnerucf be there at the opening? 

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/04/white-castle-opens-ad1/

From Inside the Magic

I already got some gift cards thanks to a Bungalower Event.  My dad will be first in line.  haha.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 5:35 PM, spenser1058 said:

May 3 is the opening date for Florida’s first White Castle in over 50 years at O-town West. Will @jgardnerucf be there at the opening? 

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/04/white-castle-opens-ad1/

From Inside the Magic

Yes, I am still alive.

I did not realize that they were still building that development.

• Like 1