Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

On 4/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, spenser1058 said:

Ahhhh, if only Reality were here to see what connoisseurs of fine sliders we are!

I foolishly tried going there around 8pm last night.  it had a 6 hour wait.  So, we aborted.  

Do we know if the Darryl Carter has expanded to Apopka Vineland yet? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Yup, been open.

wow.  google map is way behind on that.  I was told Monday night that there was a line of cars stretching from White Castle almost all the way to Apopka Vineland along Darryl Carter.  Wow.

• 3 weeks later...

The I-Drive area is booming. So much being built there. I took some friends from Tampa to a restaurant close to Icon Park and they were amazed by the area. There are so many projects under construction or approved that sound really exciting. The area is already pretty awesome and promises to improve even more in the next 2 years with all the development. Add this food hall to the list of really cool projects:

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-steel-chefs-market-i-drive-food-hall-shipping-containers-20210527-d6n22kcwevgxxidslc5jjuxq74-story.html

• Like 3

On 5/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, spenser1058 said:

WDW News Today writes Beverly is coming back to Club Cool at Epcot:

https://wdwnt.com/2021/05/beverly-returns-to-epcot-with-club-cool-this-summer/

I first learned how gnarly that stuff was and to avoid it bigly at the first World of Coke in Atlanta.

I never sampled Beverly (the soda, that is...)

• Haha 1

Even Disney is after the trees now:

https://wdwnt.com/2021/05/photos-trees-replaced-in-tomorrowland-at-magic-kingdom/

From WDW News Today

*sigh*

One of the things that evolved so well in the Star Trek series over the years is that we went from treeless ‘60’s visions in the Terran landscapes of TOS to a much more human ideal where Star Fleet Academy still looked like San Francisco in TNG (our favorite Martian was even a gardener!) and New Orleans looked very much unchanged in DS9 when Benjamin Sisko visited his hometown. The same may be said of Jean-Luc’s French vineyard in “Picard”.

Given Trek’s sci-fi vibe is as well-considered and exhaustive as anyone’s, I’m not sure what the Mouse was going for in Tomorrowland. Aesthetically, it’s not helpful and if it’s some misguided attempt to increase capacity, I remind them that Central Florida’s outdoors is not particularly pleasant for months on end unless mitigated with shade.

SAVE THE TREE!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 1:15 PM, spenser1058 said:

Even Disney is after the trees now:

https://wdwnt.com/2021/05/photos-trees-replaced-in-tomorrowland-at-magic-kingdom/

From WDW News Today

*sigh*

One of the things that evolved so well in the Star Trek series over the years is that we went from treeless ‘60’s visions in the Terran landscapes of TOS to a much more human ideal where Star Fleet Academy still looked like San Francisco in TNG (our favorite Martian was even a gardener!) and New Orleans looked very much unchanged in DS9 when Benjamin Sisko visited his hometown. The same may be said of Jean-Luc’s French vineyard in “Picard”.

Given Trek’s sci-fi vibe is as well-considered and exhaustive as anyone’s, I’m not sure what the Mouse was going for in Tomorrowland. Aesthetically, it’s not helpful and if it’s some misguided attempt to increase capacity, I remind them that Central Florida’s outdoors is not particularly pleasant for months on end unless mitigated with shade.

SAVE THE TREE!

Disney are hypocrites.

That being said, I think they are minimizing their landscaping costs by doing this.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:41 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Orange Observer takes a closer look at O-town West:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/o-town-west-development-well-underway

I still wonder if Chuck will name a road out there for @jgardnerucf and @jrs2

they'll never pay homage to moi.

um, I'm curious to see if they actually go forward with the higher rise component here. 

still haven't been to  White Castle yet.  But ever since they started talking about White Castle, I've started listening to The Beastie Boys again.  I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing...it's just a...thing.

On 5/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, uncreativeusername said:

#beverly crusher icons from aompacks

Be-vah-lay!

-Jean-Luc-Picard

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jrs2 said:

still haven't been to  White Castle yet.  But ever since they started talking about White Castle, I've started listening to The Beastie Boys again.  I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing...it's just a...thing.

I went to White Castle on Sunday.  The line is misleading and looks waaaayyy shorter than it is.  They've closed the outdoor kitchens so now the line is just for inside.  There was probably 20 people in front of me but that LINE DID NOT MOVE.  The drive thru was clearly worse.  I was 2 people from the counter when some woman passed out from heat stroke and EMT's were brought in.  After they checked her out, they gave her free food and the EMT's placed some orders.  That alone probably added another 15 mins to the line.  I got there at 4:45 and didn't finish eating until 7pm.  I don't ever feel like that line is going to be down to a normal restaurant's line.  I feel like they're gonna need another location.  Portillo's is also open and dealing with a similar line problem.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, codypet said:

I went to White Castle on Sunday.  The line is misleading and looks waaaayyy shorter than it is.  They've closed the outdoor kitchens so now the line is just for inside.  There was probably 20 people in front of me but that LINE DID NOT MOVE.  The drive thru was clearly worse.  I was 2 people from the counter when some woman passed out from heat stroke and EMT's were brought in.  After they checked her out, they gave her free food and the EMT's placed some orders.  That alone probably added another 15 mins to the line.  I got there at 4:45 and didn't finish eating until 7pm.  I don't ever feel like that line is going to be down to a normal restaurant's line.  I feel like they're gonna need another location.  Portillo's is also open and dealing with a similar line problem.

wow, I had no idea they had outdoor kitchens.   I guess they closed them b/c of the summer heat?

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Fortunately for theme park lovers and unfortunately for anyone who believes Orlando badly needs to diversify its economy, Epic Universe is back on:

https://themeparkshark.com/universal/universal-ceo-says-epic-universe-to-open-in-a-couple-of-years/

From Theme Park Shark

Yeah.  So, this of all attractions can really be marketed by the OCCC.  We may not get BL to run to the OCCC, but so far OCCC has been doing pretty good.  Still needs to improve and change with the times to stay competitive.  But Epic Universe (EU) cater also to conventioneers with their ability to cordon off lands to different groups is huge.  EU will also spearhead the need for more hotel rooms nearby benefiting both themselves and OCCC.

There is no downside.

I take it the Kirkman Rd extension is still on schedule?

• Like 1