Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Back in the days when being atop Disney’s Contemporary Resort was just FABULOUS- the Top of the World:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/disney-world-50th-anniversary/os-prem-et-disney-world-50th-contemporary-top-world-20210616-5suvu43fujdzffcxkdtu5rz6na-story.html

From The Sentinel 

California Grille?

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

California Grille?

California Grill is a great restaurant but it just doesn’t have the same pizzazz TotW had. I mean… Mel Torme! (Where have you gone, Judge Harry Stone?)

The act that got away was The Carpenters. Can you imagine Karen at the apex of her popularity singing “Top of the World” up there?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Disney receives approval from OC to erect huge digital “Display Art” sign that wraps around a good portion of the Hollywood Plaza garage:

https://wdwnt.com/2021/06/walt-disney-world-planning-to-install-dynamic-digital-art-on-i-drive-parking-garage/

From WDW News Today (keep in mind they often get out in front of their skis so stay tuned…)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, codypet said:

Interesting collab.  How is that not a billboard?

The retail space being, the original planned Hogan's Beach Shop location?

It’s not a billboard - it’s, ummm, “Art”.

Not to mention, we’re talking about Disney (which is why I also find it humorous when anyone suggests The Mouse won’t ultimately get its way - whatever they decide that may be - on Brightline).

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Disney receives approval from OC to erect huge digital “Display Art” sign that wraps around a good portion of the Hollywood Plaza garage:

https://wdwnt.com/2021/06/walt-disney-world-planning-to-install-dynamic-digital-art-on-i-drive-parking-garage/

From WDW News Today (keep in mind they often get out in front of their skis so stay tuned…)

So, this is huge for  the Skyplex people.  Disney takes over all street level retail and puts up a large lit sign; maybe that's part of the lease deal.  Either way, the Skyplex people get needed rent from a sure thing source.  It keeps them "alive" in case the Skyplex project ever moves forward in the future.  They still need a restaurant/ bar tenant on the roof though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So, this is huge for  the Skyplex people.  Disney takes over all street level retail and puts up a large lit sign; maybe that's part of the lease deal.  Either way, the Skyplex people get needed rent from a sure thing source.  It keeps them "alive" in case the Skyplex project ever moves forward in the future.  They still need a restaurant/ bar tenant on the roof though.

It’s funny - while in college I worked at the Darryl’s on that stretch of I-Drive for four years and haven’t been back since. It’s odd to totally have no contact with a part of Orlando I used to see several days a week. I can’t say I miss it. For those who like it, carry on!

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s funny - while in college I worked at the Darryl’s on that stretch of I-Drive for four years and haven’t been back since. It’s odd to totally have no contact with a part of Orlando I used to see several days a week. I can’t say I miss it. For those who like it, carry on!

wow.  I used to go there alot up until about three years ago. 

I like seeing new developments to bolster the corridor's porfolio of offerings.  The corridor more or less connects Universal to Sea World to Disney.  It's pretty important to say the least.  Aside from The Disney Store outlet that was in the old outlet center (maybe the new one too?), this is the first new Disney presence on I-Drive in a very long time...and an ad to boot that you can see from across I-4.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh boy, Rick Springfield is coming to Hard Rock Universal in September:

https://www.visitorlando.com/event/rick-springfield/16224/

From Visit Orlando 

“They Call Me Bruce!”

I touched his sweaty torso a few years ago when he performed downtown across from Amway Center.  He was out in the audience with a remote mic.  Yes! they do indeed call him Bruce!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s official- Disney’s Theme Park Division to Florida.

While it sounds good, apparently the resignations and retirements of those who prefer to stay in LA is underway (that also gave Universal some grief when they did the same thing a few years back). It will be interesting to watch how it affects the culture.

From Theme Park Insider

Meanwhile, it’s a definite plus for Nona  (wondering about the Tavistock deal here).

These culture shifts can be tricky - although Imagineering will be closer together with Parks, it cuts them off from the Studios, which is where the Magic is really created.

When publisher HBJ moved its HQ to Florida to save money after buying Sea World, the move never quite gelled.

Otoh, Target, whose “cheap chic” arose from its connection to an upscale department store rather than from a dime store chain, lost some of its buzz when corporate spun off the department stores at Wall Street’s behest. It took several years but CEO Brian Cornell figured out how to bring it back when he came onboard.

Local 6 was talking about this yesterday I think.

Personally, I'd be pissed if I liked there in SoCal and had to come here.  It is a culture shock on many levels.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Local 6 was talking about this yesterday I think.

Personally, I'd be pissed if I liked there in SoCal and had to come here.  It is a culture shock on many levels.  

We’ll get @prahabohemeto tell them how to adjust! True story: when the first Anaheim contingent came to Florida in the mid-60’s (with quite a bit of attitude), one of the things they focused on that us poor swamp dwellers just were too uncivilized to have were artichokes at the local Publix or Winn-Dixie. They were shocked! shocked I tell you.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

We’ll get @prahabohemeto tell them how to adjust! True story: when the first Anaheim contingent came to Florida in the mid-60’s (with quite a bit of attitude), one of the things they focused on that us poor swamp dwellers just were too uncivilized to have were artichokes at the local Publix or Winn-Dixie. They were shocked! shocked I tell you.

Cali is pretty cool.  But I have to say we have had a lot of cool places open up that I think those Anaheim types at the 33rd parallel would gravitate to.

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Cali is pretty cool.  But I have to say we have had a lot of cool places open up that I think those Anaheim types at the 33rd parallel would gravitate to.

If they were relocating these jobs from Anaheim, I'd say the cultural shift would be less shocking.  Anaheim is, after all, a sprawling OC bedroom community that lives under the shadow of the mouse.

These jobs are coming from Glendale at the Disney Co. where the differences will most certainly be more apparent.

My main question is why Disney did not chose to locate these jobs on property if the goal is to truly unite them under the Parks division.

Edited by prahaboheme

Well WDW has a pretty long history of florida office spaces not on property. The biggest example is currently the Celebration area full of offices but I even remember in the early 90s Republic Plaza off of Sand Lake for creative offices. In a recent example some broadcast offices moved from studios backlot to an offsite location due to the studios big redesign.

I think what we have seen and it makes sense is that the property proper is much more valuable for guest spaces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At long last, The Mouse is announcing Space 220, the long-delayed restaurant at Epcot, will open in September:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/disney-world-50th-anniversary/os-et-epcot-new-restaurant-space-220-20210813-56uculdf7raoxdk43ofbzrora4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Personally, I can’t wait to find out if there will be a Tang aperitif…

Edited by spenser1058

Well, here's the Deseo Grande development, a five story apartment building on one of the parking lots of former Artegon, now known as Dezerland.  It will have 365 units.  It is good "infill" or "I-Drive infill" if there is a thing; good to bring residents and good to convert a large surface lot.

https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/american-landmark-dezer-begin-orlando-development/

On Google satellite, the garage is built and the foundations of the building(s) are poured-ish.

• Like 1