Jump to content

Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments


sunshine

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s more of a thing where these types of carnival rides (albeit on steroids) creep closer to town and show up in photos of the city. In corporate recruitment, perception matters.

It’s admittedly a thin line. Nashville’s threading the needle admirably. Otoh, Vegas is a one industry town. 

There's already two whole theme parks closer to town than these rides. They're going exactly where they're meant to go, for better or worse. If we're worried about perception, I'd be much more worried about the entirety of OBT, Parramore, and a number of other problem areas first. Those are much worse for optics than some skinny rides that won't even be perceptible from outside the tourist district.  Speaking of said tourist district, I think everything on I-Drive north of Sand Lake is still much more offensive than anything at this entertainment complex (whatever name it's going by this week.) It should have evolved with the southern half of the strip, but it still looks like it did decades ago, minus Wet 'n Wild's absence. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Darn it!

I have never been to an Alamo but for years have been reading about them.  I was excited when I heard pre COVID that we were going to get one. 

For some reason this morning while letting the dog out, Alamo popped into my mind so I looked them up. It looks like they have more on their mind than opening in Orlando. :tw_confused:

3C4ED3E2-D672-428A-A1C3-B259F626015E.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2021 at 8:33 AM, F-L-A said:

There's already two whole theme parks closer to town than these rides. They're going exactly where they're meant to go, for better or worse. If we're worried about perception, I'd be much more worried about the entirety of OBT, Parramore, and a number of other problem areas first. Those are much worse for optics than some skinny rides that won't even be perceptible from outside the tourist district.  Speaking of said tourist district, I think everything on I-Drive north of Sand Lake is still much more offensive than anything at this entertainment complex (whatever name it's going by this week.) It should have evolved with the southern half of the strip, but it still looks like it did decades ago, minus Wet 'n Wild's absence. 

So, I was out round those parts on Friday and snapped this at night from the parking deck.  The Spear of Destiny aka Elevator To Hell.  Not open yet.  The Slingshot Into Oblivion is partly in the photo as well.  Of course I'll never get on these.

20211022_200014.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, shardoon said:

I noticed land being cleared next to the Parking lot of Target in Vineland Pointe. It is the huge piece of land that is next to the Chick Fila that fronts Daryl Carter.  Is this retail or more timeshares/apartments'hotels? 

Well, the big green square is Pinstripes but it is not labeled here.  Growthspotter has a 3D rendering showing it but I can't download the image for some reason.

19-VNLND-0042_-_Vineland_Pointe_Website_Development_MAP_9-10-19_-01-1024x774.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Well, the big green square is Pinstripes but it is not labeled here.  Growthspotter has a 3D rendering showing it but I can't download the image for some reason.

19-VNLND-0042_-_Vineland_Pointe_Website_Development_MAP_9-10-19_-01-1024x774.png

No, it's next to phase 2. It's pretty much all the remaining land next to phase 2 on the right on this map (east).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jack said:

Didn't Alamo bow out last year? 

Yes, it was actually earlier this year (time is of no reference anymore). https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2021/03/03/alamo-drafthouse-scraps-orlando-cinema-and-files-for-bankruptcy

But the related bankruptcy was a quick turnaround and last I heard they were looking at renewing some of the plans that have previously canceled. I assume the Orlando site has since been purchased by someone else, this is a very strong market for theaters. https://www.vulture.com/article/how-alamo-drafthouse-battled-back-from-bankruptcy.html

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


45 minutes ago, klstorey said:

Yes, it was actually earlier this year (time is of no reference anymore). https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2021/03/03/alamo-drafthouse-scraps-orlando-cinema-and-files-for-bankruptcy

But the related bankruptcy was a quick turnaround and last I heard they were looking at renewing some of the plans that have previously canceled. I assume the Orlando site has since been purchased by someone else, this is a very strong market for theaters. https://www.vulture.com/article/how-alamo-drafthouse-battled-back-from-bankruptcy.html

I wish they had scoped out locations closer into town.   I hardly think the "Criterion Collection" crowd would drive out to the Disney area to watch the latest Wes Anderson film.  Alamo would find a better fit with the Orlando Fashion Square re-do (if/when that happens) or even SoDo (I hate typing that portmanteau).   Even better: some wealthy philanthropist drops a load of cash into Enzian's endowment and they build those extra screens they've been talking about for years!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jliv said:

I wish they had scoped out locations closer into town.   I hardly think the "Criterion Collection" crowd would drive out to the Disney area to watch the latest Wes Anderson film.  Alamo would find a better fit with the Orlando Fashion Square re-do (if/when that happens) or even SoDo (I hate typing that portmanteau).   Even better: some wealthy philanthropist drops a load of cash into Enzian's endowment and they build those extra screens they've been talking about for years!

 

Enzian Rocks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Florida (specifically, Miami, Orlando & Tampa) will be joining the vaunted Michelin Guide to restaurants for the first time.

Only NYC, Chicago, DC and California are also included in the US.

It uses a three-star rating system and includes notable eateries that may not have yet earned a star.

Orlando has been adding some excellent restaurants in the attractions area (particularly at some of the higher end hotels), along Sand Lake Road’s Restaurant Row as well as in Winter Park.

Michelin recognition of our finest will help them get on the map with diners and to qualify for awards that have sadly passed our most talented chefs by in the past.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5806-michelin-guides-coming-to-orlando-miami-and-tampa

From Scott J

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Florida (specifically, Miami, Orlando & Tampa) will be joining the vaunted Michelin Guide to restaurants for the first time.

Only NYC, Chicago, DC and California are also included in the US.

It uses a three-star rating system and includes notable eateries that may not have yet earned a star.

Orlando has been adding some excellent restaurants in the attractions area (particularly at some of the higher end hotels), along Sand Lake Road’s Restaurant Row as well as in Winter Park.

Michelin recognition of our finest will help them get on the map with diners and to qualify for awards that have sadly passed our most talented chefs by in the past.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5806-michelin-guides-coming-to-orlando-miami-and-tampa

From Scott J

 

 

Any predictions on a local area restaurant gaining the coveted Michelin 3-star rating?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Any predictions on a local area restaurant gaining the coveted Michelin 3-star rating?

I’m guessing V&A or one of those on top of the higher-end hotels in the tourist zone. Scott J has reviewed a few but I rarely pay attention since I really am not a fan of the area.

The reason I’m glad about it coming is that a lot of talented folks locally tend to get snubbed for being in Orlando by groups like the James Beard awards. If this gets us past that silliness, it will be a good thing.

We have some great intown restaurants like The Monroe, Ravenous Pig, Bovine and the like which I hope will get a nod.

I’m guessing they don’t have the over-the-top quality that would be required to get a third star. Of course, that’s what I like about them in the first place. 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Uhhh none. That is a level that nothing operates in here. V&A when they re-open could maybe get to 2 but I'd expect a handful of 1 stars and  Bib Gourmand.

Agreed - but even a mention in the Michelin guide is a huge deal; 3 stars are not essential for clout.  

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Agreed - but even a mention in the Michelin guide is a huge deal; 3 stars are not essential for clout.  

Oh absolutely. I've eaten at some incredible places that just were Bib or whatever. It will definitely help any that get in the book. Be curious when it will come out and when they plan to hire people to be the reviewers. That is an incredible job.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shardoon said:

Fairmont Hotel coming to Orlando via growthspotter article

GrowthSpotter revealed DEVEN’s intention to build a luxury hotel with an attached conference center on 30 acres just across I-4, at the southeast corner of the World Drive interchange, in September.
According to the most recent release, the 7-story Fairmont Orlando hotel will feature 550 guestrooms, including 90 suites, 12 villas along the perimeter of three planned pools, and 87 Fairmont Gold rooms. The brand’s signature experience will be offered on the top floor and include a 5,000-square-foot private lounge.
Fairmont Orlando is slated to open in early 2025 and will mark the brand’s 20th property in the United States.

Bonnett Creek Resort developer files plan for new luxury hotel at Disney’s World Drive interchange
  •  
 
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Peppa Pig Park at Legoland will be a certified autism center when it opens.

I thought that was very cool. Shoutout to the folks at Merlin!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/legoland/os-prem-et-peppa-pig-theme-park-iaapa-autism-20211116-yvgvlh4hivffdhqikw3hhv5unu-story.html

From The Sentinel 
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Universal Parks & Resorts CEO Tom Williams is retiring. Imho, he won’t be missed. 

The Mouse is far from perfect, but over the years they’ve had executives far more involved in the local community than UO.

I might wish for an improvement, but Williams’ replacement appears to be a chip off the old block.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-universal-chairman-tom-williams-retiring-20211116-swvirfhe75clfmvn6pnu4vwoki-story.html

From The Sentinel 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Woohoo! Jump on this quick - it’s online only starting 11:59pm Sunday until midnight Dec 1.

The Gatorland Zip Line, usually $69.99 is only $45.99. It includes admission to Gatorland.

This is  our oldest local attraction and our hometown team so take a zip over all those gators soon!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/os-et-gatorland-black-friday-annual-passes-zip-line-deals-20211123-uaxgi4ci7rgjph6edlfkem6xwy-story.html

From The Sentinel 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.