Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

On 12/28/2021 at 2:35 AM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

PXL_20211228_004647040.jpg

so you got the Spear of Destiny, the Eye of Horus, and the Candle- like the candle that hooded guy is holding on that Led Zeppelin album cover.  People were worried about Cern, but...daaang...if a Black Hole is gonna open up I think it's opening up right there.  That'll put Orange Co on the map...um...correction...the Black Hole would remove Orange Co from the map.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, smileguy said:

GrowthSpotter revealed DEVEN’s intention to build a luxury hotel with an attached conference center on 30 acres just across I-4, at the southeast corner of the World Drive interchange, in September.
According to the most recent release, the 7-story Fairmont Orlando hotel will feature 550 guestrooms, including 90 suites, 12 villas along the perimeter of three planned pools, and 87 Fairmont Gold rooms. The brand’s signature experience will be offered on the top floor and include a 5,000-square-foot private lounge.
Fairmont Orlando is slated to open in early 2025 and will mark the brand’s 20th property in the United States.

Bonnett Creek Resort developer files plan for new luxury hotel at Disney’s World Drive interchange
  •  

All that land and only 7 stories...and that many rooms?

So the Northeast corner of that interchange houses Marriott World Center.  And I presume this would be situated to the west of the former Nick Notel/Holiday Inn or whatever it currently is.  I am assuming the access road is going to be I-Drive South, which meanders it's way south into Xentury City aka the Gaylord property and Osceola Pkwy interchange.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 4:21 PM, jrs2 said:

So the Northeast corner of that interchange houses Marriott World Center.  And I presume this would be situated to the west of the former Nick Notel/Holiday Inn or whatever it currently is.  I am assuming the access road is going to be I-Drive South, which meanders it's way south into Xentury City aka the Gaylord property and Osceola Pkwy interchange.

I'm trying to put some guesses together, but it can really be anything.  The Growth Spotter article says, "The hotel is planned on 30 acres of vacant land on International Drive, north of the Gaylord Palms Hotel and south of the World Drive Interchange."

image.thumb.png.71e595e7feac2582e690460a9d506633.png

I thought it could be this one since it was transferred a few years ago to a new holding company, its almost 30 acres, and is directly north of Gaylord.  But the image on Growthspotter shows the street named International, and from the shape, it'd have to be Osceola.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I'm trying to put some guesses together, but it can really be anything.  The Growth Spotter article says, "The hotel is planned on 30 acres of vacant land on International Drive, north of the Gaylord Palms Hotel and south of the World Drive Interchange."

image.thumb.png.71e595e7feac2582e690460a9d506633.png

I thought it could be this one since it was transferred a few years ago to a new holding company, its almost 30 acres, and is directly north of Gaylord.  But the image on Growthspotter shows the street named International, and from the shape, it'd have to be Osceola.

If it is at the Southeast corner of World Drive and I-4, isn’t that at Celebration?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

PXL_20211231_001339138.jpg

So, I noticed either on Friday night or Saturday night this new set of attractions was probably three times busier than the Starflyer on the north end of the complex.  The "flame" at the top rotates.

And surprisingly, I noticed that there is still another parcel between this complex and Ba-la-kay's Ole Red restaurant.  They squeezed these two attractions in there pretty well.  I think one of the uprights of the Slingshot has part of the ticketing building built around it.

• Like 1

I know there were a couple of criticisms about Icon Park "lowering" itself by having "carnival" rides.  Well, my take is this.  These rides are either super high dollar rides ala the Eye, or top in their category as tallest ala the other three rides in Starflyer, "Demon Drop", and the Slingshot.  They attract patrons to different corners of the property.  Unfortunately, that Asian eatery that was in the SW corner of that large building already closed I think at least a year or two ago.  That was back when that corner of the property was a no man's land.  If I'm not mistaken, the Walgreens sans pharmacy closed as well which was right near the entrance to the Eye.

The new drop tower is very visible.  It's LED pattern is really cool with those vertical lines of lights.  That community across I-4 that was against the Eye and against the Skycoaster project...since those hearings, The Eye, Starflyer, and drop tower and slingshot all have gone up and the two tall towers' luminosity is way higher than the Eye ever aspired to. 

That's a "how do you like me now" situation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I know there were a couple of criticisms about Icon Park "lowering" itself by having "carnival" rides.  Well, my take is this.  These rides are either super high dollar rides ala the Eye, or top in their category as tallest ala the other three rides in Starflyer, "Demon Drop", and the Slingshot.  They attract patrons to different corners of the property.  Unfortunately, that Asian eatery that was in the SW corner of that large building already closed I think at least a year or two ago.  That was back when that corner of the property was a no man's land.  If I'm not mistaken, the Walgreens sans pharmacy closed as well which was right near the entrance to the Eye.

The new drop tower is very visible.  It's LED pattern is really cool with those vertical lines of lights.  That community across I-4 that was against the Eye and against the Skycoaster project...since those hearings, The Eye, Starflyer, and drop tower and slingshot all have gone up and the two tall towers' luminosity is way higher than the Eye ever aspired to. 

That's a "how do you like me now" situation.

I rode the Orlando Eye last year and I loved it.  Great views all the way to downtown and every direction.  I would ride it again.  Even if you are local you should try it and see all you can see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I rode the Orlando Eye last year and I loved it.  Great views all the way to downtown and every direction.  I would ride it again.  Even if you are local you should try it and see all you can see. 

The view around the immediate area should also improve once Epic Universe opens. Unfortunately it will always have Lockheed right next to it.

• Like 1

Here's a quick list of elevated bars/restaurants around the region for those inclined to host out of town guests or to have fun themselves:

1.  CSP (downtown)

2.  Aventura Tower (Universal)

3.  Four Seasons (WDW)

4.  Coronado Springs tower- forgot the name (WDW)

5.  Top of Daytona (DBS) Peck Plaza

6.  California Grille (or new name?) Contemporary

7.  WDW Swan Reserve

8.  JW Marriott Bonnet Creek

9. Riviera Resort (WDW)

10.  CItrus Club (downtown/ private)

others???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Here's a quick list of elevated bars/restaurants around the region for those inclined to host out of town guests or to have fun themselves:

1.  CSP (downtown)

2.  Aventura Tower (Universal)

3.  Four Seasons (WDW)

4.  Coronado Springs tower- forgot the name (WDW)

5.  Top of Daytona (DBS) Peck Plaza

6.  California Grille (or new name?) Contemporary

7.  WDW Swan Reserve

8.  JW Marriott Bonnet Creek

9. Riviera Resort (WDW)

10.  CItrus Club (downtown/ private)

others???

The late, great Manuel’s On the 28th and Top O’ Citizens. My, how we miss them! And the one that never was, the Carolando Tower at I-4 and US192.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, KJHburg said:

I've done both the Orlando and London Eye and loved both of them.  They were so fun for me.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 3:33 PM, AmIReal said:

SeaWorld has made another offer on Ohio based Ceder Fair in the area of $3.5B. The dozen Ceder Fair properties combined with the dozen SeaWorld properties would make it one of the top park operators.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/02/01/local-theme-park-wants-to-acquire-ohio-amusement-p.html

Cedar Fair does such an excellent job, though.  Ugh.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Cedar Fair does such an excellent job, though.  Ugh.

Cedar Fair is still a real company and reflects those values by upholding the quality of their parks.

Sea World, otoh, is nothing more than a shell for a PEF. Accordingly, the quality of their parks and employee relations has been declining since the golden era when they were owned by Busch.

As a result, Cedar Fair fits more in a tier (albeit the lower end) with Disney and Universal. Sea World these days belongs with Six Flags.

It would be a tragedy for this to take place - here’s hoping it doesn’t.

Not to mention it looks more and more like Cedar Fair HQ will end up in Charlotte sooner or later and @KJHburg will keep them in line up there <g>.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2