Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

26 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Cedar Fair is still a real company and reflects those values by upholding the quality of their parks.

Sea World, otoh, is nothing more than a shell for a PEF. Accordingly, the quality of their parks and employee relations has been declining since the golden era when they were owned by Busch.

As a result, Cedar Fair fits more in a tier (albeit the lower end) with Disney and Universal. Sea World these days belongs with Six Flags.

It would be a tragedy for this to take place - here’s hoping it doesn’t.

Not to mention it looks more and more like Cedar Fair HQ will end up in Charlotte sooner or later and @KJHburg will keep them in line up there <g>.

I was at Busch Gardens yesterday and something was very notable.  After years of neglect, it seems like they're actually sprucing up the park.  New signage, park employees who appeared to actually care, and Shierka, Montu, Congo Train Station, and Sky ride were all closed for maintenance and fresh coats of paint.   With Gwazi reopening next month, either Busch Gardens is anticipating a big summer or they're looking to acquire to spin off into either a separate company or another acquisition.   Other than the retheming of the Shamu Land to Sesame St, I don't know enough about Sea World in the last few years to know the difference.  That said as a shareholder of Cedar Fair, I  would appreciate a jump in share price before cashing out.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:57 AM, spenser1058 said:

Cedar Fair is still a real company and reflects those values by upholding the quality of their parks.

Sea World, otoh, is nothing more than a shell for a PEF. Accordingly, the quality of their parks and employee relations has been declining since the golden era when they were owned by Busch.

As a result, Cedar Fair fits more in a tier (albeit the lower end) with Disney and Universal. Sea World these days belongs with Six Flags.

It would be a tragedy for this to take place - here’s hoping it doesn’t.

Not to mention it looks more and more like Cedar Fair HQ will end up in Charlotte sooner or later and @KJHburg will keep them in line up there <g>.

The last couple of years has been rough on Cedar Fair. Also, while they give love to their top tier parks, others in the chain don't get nearly the investments they need. 

I'm no fan of Scott Ross and Hill Path but I have to hand it to them, SeaWorld is actually doing pretty decent these days. Of course, that comes with the issues you raise regarding employee relations (and numerous outsourcing). But the festivals have proven extremely popular and the rides, while not my cup of tea, are decent investments and seem to be generating buzz about the parks. Though as always I must say they could benefit from more family-friendly non-coaster attractions. 

I think SeaWorld is still a step above Six Flags and all but the highest tier Cedar Fair parks. I'd easily rather spend a day at a SeaWorld park vs Michigan's Adventure or Worlds of Fun. 

The big upside if this happens is it gives SeaWorld direct access to experienced people with knowledge of operating amusement park hotels and non-amusement park venues (like the sports complex in Sandusky). 

The HQ move is one of the biggest questions I have. I can see benefits of all three locations but with the new HQ building at SeaWorld Orlando my guess is it would end up there. 

My gut says this has about a 60% chance of happening but with a slightly higher price tag than what SeaWorld has offered. I'm guessing the end will be a mix of cash and stock but not a lot of stock, just enough to sweeten the deal and keep the amusement fanboys who are unitholders of Cedar Fair happy.  I think the combined company better positions both against the increasing presence of Merlin in the U.S. and the deep pockets of Herschend. I do suspect we'll see Six Flags get involved somehow before its all over with, either buying a few of the parks or even selling a few. 

If it happens what I'll be watching out for is -

• What name will the water parks use moving forward? Aquatica is my vote but I can see a good argument for Schlitterbahn. IMO that brand needs to die out, just too many skeletons for it. 
  • What will the annual pass program look like? I could see something where nearly every level pass comes with at least a few tickets to SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa. That could drive gate at the Florida parks with guests who otherwise may not have visited those parks (and in return may slow growth at other area 3rd/4th day theme park options). 
  • What does this mean for the future of the Sesame Street franchise? I suspect we'll see at least a few new Sesame Places using existing water parks, similar to San Diego (which ironically SeaWorld purchased from Cedar Fair). 
  • Does this revive the former midway expansion concept that SeaWorld previously floated (pun intended)? Ross has plenty of experience with midway style amusements (with Chuck E. Cheese and Dave & Busters). SeaWorld previously looked into aquariums and other half day style attractions (very similar to Merlin's model). A lot of the Cedar Fair properties would be ideal for these types of offerings, especially if they also lean heavily on adding new hotels. 
  • What does this mean for the future of the SeaWorld brand? I could see them retiring the brand completely for something new using an existing or new Cedar Fair park brand. 
  • Will they cannibalized any of the existing Cedar Fair parks to increase the flat ride lineup at SeaWorld/Busch Gardens parks? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, klstorey said:
  • What does this mean for the future of the Sesame Street franchise? I suspect we'll see at least a few new Sesame Places using existing water parks, similar to San Diego (which ironically SeaWorld purchased from Cedar Fair). 

Having grown up near Dorney Park in the 80s and 90s when Cedar Fair bought them I remember when Berenstain Bears was the kid's theme area and then later moved to Peanuts.  I suspect Sesame Street is too well known and lucrative to not use it in all parks going forward.  Toddler Codypet can't get enough Elmo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, klstorey said:

The last couple of years has been rough on Cedar Fair. Also, while they give love to their top tier parks, others in the chain don't get nearly the investments they need. 

I'm no fan of Scott Ross and Hill Path but I have to hand it to them, SeaWorld is actually doing pretty decent these days. Of course, that comes with the issues you raise regarding employee relations (and numerous outsourcing). But the festivals have proven extremely popular and the rides, while not my cup of tea, are decent investments and seem to be generating buzz about the parks. Though as always I must say they could benefit from more family-friendly non-coaster attractions. 

I think SeaWorld is still a step above Six Flags and all but the highest tier Cedar Fair parks. I'd easily rather spend a day at a SeaWorld park vs Michigan's Adventure or Worlds of Fun. 

Interestingly, I've been to a lot of their parks, but not all of them while they were owned by CF.  

Pre:  Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Michigan's Adventure

Pre & Post: Canada's Wonderland, King's Island

Cedar Point & King's Island are by the best of those in my opinion.  By a huge margin.

• Like 2

Cedar Fair has been great to Carowinds in Charlotte.  They have a winter festival, a Scare-o-winds in October, extended their season, added on site hotel, added new rides.  They have made Carowinds much better than any other owner including Paramount Parks.  Most of their corporate staff works out of Charlotte now too but officially their HQ is still in Ohio.  Carowinds has never looked better.  Whereas Disney and Sea World in Orlando may be a trip every few years a trip to Carowinds is a more frequent visit.   That is one of the reasons Sea World would love to have Cedar Fair parks.   We will see how this plays out.  

• Like 4

On 2/8/2022 at 9:55 PM, klstorey said:

In typical Orlando fashion 

What's proposed

328.jpg.12b28302af67fb3327d882c0da5872f5.jpg

and what actually gets built

BB-Sandlake_Aerial-scaled.thumb.jpg.9ba20949931e528ce7169114b0ca5021.jpg

truer words...

but this looks like it's to the south of the former Blue Whatever project which was to go at the corner with Carrier & Universal.  That former project if I recall did have at least 400 units down payments to get close to beginning construction, but construction prices kept increasing and it killed it.  It was supposed to have a theatre in it.

That being said, this will go across the street to the south from that apartment complex that was built at the corner of Carrier & Universal on the west side of the road.  It's good for synergy...b/c of the proximity to other residential units.

• Like 3

The Best Western has been taken over by Drury Inns, a family-controlled chain based in Missouri with a huge reputation for customer service. They are indeed adding a large new wing.

For many of us, the arrival of Drury in Orlando spurs hopes the family might make its way downtown. They are well-known  for restoration of buildings across the country and not just hotels.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Best Western has been taken over by Drury Inns, a family-controlled chain based in Missouri with a huge reputation for customer service. They are indeed adding a large new wing.

For many of us, the arrival of Drury in Orlando spurs hopes the family might make its way downtown. They are well-known  for restoration of buildings across the country and not just hotels.

The Drury in Dr. Phillips has been there for about 10 years now.  Maybe they're ready to increase their presence here?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Some new addition to what used to be the best Western on hotel plaza boulevard. And the new Marriott vacations worldwide headquarters.

PXL_20220213_175841064.jpg

PXL_20220213_175623611.jpg

PXL_20220213_175548858.jpg

what is that building u/c near what appears to be that Darrel _____ overpass assumingly near O-Town West?  Thx.

19 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Marriot vacations office.  Again, for the umpteenth time. Lol

...it's just that it doesn't even look like an office building.  it looks like a residential or hotel building, much like the one at Robinson & Orange with the facade of the Endless Summer Resort, and looks nothing like those renderings from Unicorp for that office building with all that glass on its facade- assumingly if there is still glass, it will be on only one facade now if I recall an updated rendering.  Did this project get Ustlered?  I read an article a while back how all of O-Town West got value engineered from it's original design. 

And on that note, it does remind me of the Orlando Ave retail complex Unicorp built where Chuy's is; the original plan having streetside retail/restaurant with several floors of residential on top; residents voted it down and Plan B was what we now have.  The difference here is that nobody voted anything down, i.e., full glass box office building with Bellagio-styled major fountain and thrill rides...  Covid lockdowns are a b*tch.

• Like 1

How ‘bout a Sports Illustrated themed resort (just imagine what they could do with icons of the swimsuit issue!)?

Apparently, we’re getting one but no name or location so far. It’s apparently part of a new chain.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/os-bz-sports-illustrated-hotel-coming-orlando-20220215-nm2gdmwcbrcyhb2tsrrjqkplmy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

How ‘bout a Sports Illustrated themed resort (just imagine what they could do with icons of the swimsuit issue!)?

Apparently, we’re getting one but no name or location so far. It’s apparently part of a new chain.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/os-bz-sports-illustrated-hotel-coming-orlando-20220215-nm2gdmwcbrcyhb2tsrrjqkplmy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

With their new inclusion policy of swimsuit dudes, you might jump on this bandwagon Spense!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Hallelujah! Cedar Fair lives to fight another day:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202202/8783/

Sometimes, the good guys win.

From Theme Park Insider

this is fine and good news for us here in Charlotte.

Here is an article I found about the Universal expansion.

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/universal-orlando-developing-second-hotel-for-epic-universe/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning next week, and for the meager price of $5,000 for 2 people, you can spend 2 nights (all inclusive, except alcohol) aboard a Galactic Starcruiser. 

https://people.com/travel/what-its-really-like-inside-disneys-star-wars-hotel-galactic-starcruiser-opening-march-1/

https://www.eater.com/22949838/disney-world-star-wars-hotel-food-drink-restaurants

Edited by AmIReal

18 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Beginning next week, and for the meager price of $5,000 for 2 people, you can spend 2 nights (all inclusive, except alcohol) aboard a Galactic Starcruiser. 

https://people.com/travel/what-its-really-like-inside-disneys-star-wars-hotel-galactic-starcruiser-opening-march-1/

https://www.eater.com/22949838/disney-world-star-wars-hotel-food-drink-restaurants

Sounds like Disney is keeping up with inflated rent prices in Orlando metro.

• 2 weeks later...