Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

As we move past COVID (at least for the moment), @klstorey looks as some of the Epcot updates are being discussed again:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/as-the-park-preps-its-guardians-of-the-galaxys-ride-to-open-a-new-chapter-of-epcots-overhaul-begins/Content?oid=31174619

Also, more on a possible acceleration of EPIC and Super Nintendo World:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/we-may-see-super-nintendo-world-open-in-orlando-sooner-than-expected/Content?oid=31174388

From Orlando Weekly 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The next worst part after the actual death  involved is that (apparently) instead of being compassionate, people immediately posted the actual accident and video of the body laying on the ground to social media.

That kid has a family and friends.  We don't need your likes/re-tweets on this.  The video can go to the authorities and not the general public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Friend of mine a few weeks back rode it and was unsettled by the safety to the point that he sent numerous emails to the ride operators and the state. Curious how this is going to pan out.  Very unfortunate for the family.

the mechanism that lowers over the top of your shoulders and chest...it looks like the Slingshot also uses it and I watched a video of the ten largest rides of that type, and it looks like a lot of rides use the same thing. 

On 3/28/2022 at 1:24 PM, jrs2 said:

the mechanism that lowers over the top of your shoulders and chest...it looks like the Slingshot also uses it and I watched a video of the ten largest rides of that type, and it looks like a lot of rides use the same thing. 

His concern was the lack of a belt that connects to the bottom of the shoulder restraint as a redundancy like you see on the Hulk and Montu coasters.  Edit: and Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens which I would imagine is the closest to the drop tower ride.

image.png.be4c12993a7163e6f75d0432e7f06f0f.pngimage.png.c315faa636d63c9921c69d865d6da4aa.pngimage.png.d14913b89f25d8283aaaf19fe15d3515.pngimage.png.d876af31072dfc68cd5760b1309ab9fb.png

One thing that is crazy about Iron Gwazi, is the lack of a shoulder restraint considering you're getting tossed out of the seat so much.

image.png.0437380966b249cc25a66c324044f5e6.png

Edited by codypet

I know y’all were heartbroken that the Luau is now history, but don’t despair!

The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is returning and no doubt @HankStrong is ready for a knee-slappin’ good time!

Let’s all sing: “Hoop-Dee-Doo…Hoop-Dee-Doo…”

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202203/8864/

From Theme Park Insider 

Edited by spenser1058

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is returning and no doubt @HankStrong is ready for a knee-slapping’ good time!

From Theme Park Insider 

the Luau dinner show, right?  That was pretty awesome.  I felt like I was on Fantasy Island and the only thing missing was Tattoo, my sex dwarf (as Marc Almond so eloquently stated in 1982).

11 hours ago, codypet said:

His concern was the lack of a belt that connects to the bottom of the shoulder restraint as a redundancy like you see on the Hulk and Montu coasters.  Edit: and Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens which I would imagine is the closest to the drop tower ride.

image.png.be4c12993a7163e6f75d0432e7f06f0f.pngimage.png.c315faa636d63c9921c69d865d6da4aa.pngimage.png.d14913b89f25d8283aaaf19fe15d3515.pngimage.png.d876af31072dfc68cd5760b1309ab9fb.png

One thing that is crazy about Iron Gwazi, is the lack of a shoulder restraint considering you're getting tossed out of the seat so much.

image.png.0437380966b249cc25a66c324044f5e6.png

Looping coasters don't actually need over-the-shoulder restraints, so long as the lapbar is designed sufficiently. Velocicoaster doesn't have any either, and you're probably going too be seeing less and less of them. This drop tower though, definitely should have had a belt connecting the restraint to the seat. They also shouldn't have restraints that can apparently lock in such a high position that someone can just slip out. Evidently they wanted to accommodate larger riders to the point of endangering them. Another point of contention is the forward tilt the ride has. Falcon's Fury tips riders completely face-down, the difference is you return to an upright position as the ride brakes. On the Orlando Free Fall, you remain tilted for the duration of the ride, putting all of that downward force during braking right on the space between the restraint and the seat.

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is returning and no doubt @HankStrong is ready for a knee-slappin’ good time!

From Theme Park Insider 

They have some of the best fried chicken in Orlando.  That isn't even slightly a joke.  It's excellent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Falcon's Fury tips riders completely face-down, the difference is you return to an upright position as the ride brakes. On the Orlando Free Fall, you remain tilted for the duration of the ride, putting all of that downward force during braking right on the space between the restraint and the seat.

I thought about that too.  FF probably slows you as a person down more gradually than the drop tower just by the nature of the seats fanning out.  The added benefit being the fear factor of being face down at the top.

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

One must wonder if the drop tower will be permanently closed down given the national attention of the tragic incident. 

I know there's some quick speculation, but I think it really depends on the investigation.  I wouldn't be surprised if the restraints get revised and it opens back up.   Time will tell.  I think it depends on what happens with the operator after the lawyers battle it out.

39 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Probably depends on "Insurability" after this. 

The operator can get sued into bankruptcy and a new operator shows up, but if the ride itself can't get insurance (or insurance at a feasible rate) then it won't open back up. 

I’d rather go to Gatorland anyway and I would sure trust the Godwin family more than the outfit operating at ICON Park. I like the zip line better anyway.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Wondering if Disney is rethinking its relocation plans for the Imagineers to "business friendly" Florida after the ideologs in Tallahassee move to repeal their special status. 

GOP just hate getting their feelings hurt when the rest of the sane world call them out for their hate.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Wondering if Disney is rethinking its relocation plans for the Imagineers to "business friendly" Florida after the ideologs in Tallahassee move to repeal their special status. 

GOP just hate getting their feelings hurt when the rest of the sane world call them out for their hate.

And why does Disney deserve a special status that no other company in the state of Florida gets? Hell, my understanding is no other company in the US gets to run their own government for their land. And why is it so important to the democrats for Disney and other big businesses to get special handouts and tax avoidance to the point where a simple proposal to treat Disney like everyone else is getting their "feelings hurt"? All of the sane world also is supporting Florida on the bill, simply requiring government teachers to teach subjects in an age appropriate manner for 3rd graders and under. I mean, why would you not want that for higher grades as well?

I'm sure Disney will still be happy to move stuff to Florida, California is barely letting them open, and won't let them build anything, as it is, we're welcoming anything Disney wants to build with open arms, run your company how you want it, just play by the same rules as everyone else.  The democrats are looking desperate on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, aent said:

And why is it so important to the democrats for Disney and other big businesses to get special handouts and tax avoidance to the point where a simple proposal to treat Disney like everyone else is getting their "feelings hurt"?

Literally the only reason Republicans are making a move on Disney is because they themselves got their feelings hurt by Disney recently, so this is a rather amusing question.

42 minutes ago, aent said:

All of the sane world also is supporting Florida on the bill, simply requiring government teachers to teach subjects in an age appropriate manner for 3rd graders and under. I mean, why would you not want that for higher grades as well?

:stop: You are beyond delusional. The bill has nothing to do with "teaching subjects in an age appropriate manner," and Florida is once again being made a laughing stock amongst those in the actually sane world outside our borders.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aent said:

And why does Disney deserve a special status that no other company in the state of Florida gets? Hell, my understanding is no other company in the US gets to run their own government for their land.

I'm just cringing at the idea of SFWMD having to handle the permitting whenever Disney does something with the parks.  The rest of the CE and ENV industry isn't gonna get anything permitted and built if the already strained SFWMD has to do Disney too.  But maybe that's the point? 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/02/17/florida-advances-dont-say-gay-bill#

"The bill would ban discussing these issues in primary schools and restrict how they are discussed in other grades if they are deemed “not age-appropriate.” However, it does not specify what would be considered age-appropriate, or who decides. Any parent could sue their child’s school for compensation for alleged harm if they believe those discussions have occurred. The likely outcome of the bill would be to deter teachers from addressing these issues and to chill open discussions and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students."

the plaintiffs' lobby is really liking this...  that's typically a Democrat thing, not a GOP thing.  all of the Democrat personal injury attorneys in Florida will vote for this bill to add to their foray of suable issues.

4 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Literally the only reason Republicans are making a move on Disney is because they themselves got their feelings hurt by Disney recently, so this is a rather amusing question.

:stop: You are beyond delusional. The bill has nothing to do with "teaching subjects in an age appropriate manner," and Florida is once again being made a laughing stock amongst those in the actually sane world outside our borders.

How?  What happened between Disney and Republicans?

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/02/17/florida-advances-dont-say-gay-bill#

"The bill would ban discussing these issues in primary schools and restrict how they are discussed in other grades if they are deemed “not age-appropriate.” However, it does not specify what would be considered age-appropriate, or who decides. Any parent could sue their child’s school for compensation for alleged harm if they believe those discussions have occurred. The likely outcome of the bill would be to deter teachers from addressing these issues and to chill open discussions and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students."

the plaintiffs' lobby is really liking this...  that's typically a Democrat thing, not a GOP thing.  all of the Democrat personal injury attorneys in Florida will vote for this bill to add to their foray of suable issues.

How?  What happened between Disney and Republicans?

Ron de Santis is waging a cry-baby war on Disney’s special status because Disney is come out in strong opposition to his Don’t Say Gay hate bill. 
Just another example of how the GOP continues to adopt authoritative tendencies.

1) tell you what you can and cannot say or do unless it fits neatly into  a far right viewpoint 

2) if you oppose it, abuse power by attempting to shutdown or retaliate against said person, company, entity 

If I had to wager on who will win this fight, I’ll bet on the side of the state’s largest employer.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Ron de Santis is waging a cry-baby war on Disney’s special status because Disney is come out in strong opposition to his Don’t Say Gay hate bill. 
Just another example of how the GOP continues to adopt authoritative tendencies.

1) tell you what you can and cannot say or do unless it fits neatly into  a far right viewpoint 

2) if you oppose it, abuse power by attempting to shutdown or retaliate against said person, company, entity 

If I had to wager on who will win this fight, I’ll bet on the side of the state’s largest employer.

Left vs Right; gay issues in politics is a major bullet point.  so is abortion.  don't fall for it as though it's some sinister partisan and your guys are coming to the rescue.  everyone is being played. 

as for this weekend, in the words of Chappelle as Rick James..."enjoy yo-self."  Peace!