Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

On 4/14/2022 at 8:04 PM, F-L-A said:

If you're referring to the land between Dezerland and Tangelo Park, that was at one time earmarked for amusement park development and is currently under construction as residential, then no, Universal never owned that. From what I've heard, the land in question is southwest of Lockheed and northwest of Top Golf, on the outskirts of Universal's southern property. This lawsuit has no legitimate justification as far as I can tell, as Universal shouldn't be held responsible for the seller's broken promises, but it won't interfere with Epic Universe regardless of what happens. 

Mango's coaster project failed to materialize due to the would-be developer not having his **** together, not interference from Universal. If Universal actually had the power to prevent these sorts of nearby projects, Icon Park never would've been built (doing at least two people huge favors.)

well, I agree about the Mangos people not having their stuff together.  But they were interfered with b/c they are on City land and that phone call to that commissioner or whomever the night before the vote  (by Universal) which necessitated that follow up hearing, which I attended.  That's when Mango's got the Tangelo Park people to give it their ok.  That delayed them some time...  Also, Icon Park is on County property.

didn't know about that other parcel for Universal...NW of TopGolf...

On 4/20/2022 at 11:53 AM, codypet said:

Sadly people will forget about this in time, and other people won't realize this is THAT ride in a few years.

I'm sure most tourists won't know about it already. As long as they revamp the restraint system (IMO add a seat belt to hold it close so it can't happen again even if misconfigured) there is no reason it shouldn't reopen.

2 hours ago, ragerunner said:

For those that might be interested.

Here is a construction update for the new B&M 2023 Coaster going in at SeaWorld.

SeaWorld-

And here is a construction update for Epcot, including the new rock work going up for the Moana Journey of Water.

Epcot - 

The Sea World expansions, to me, are the most important in Orlando.  Why?  Because, IMO, if they are doing well, then without a doubt Uni and Diz are doing even better.  And, Aquatica expanding keeps Uni honest with Volcano Bay.  Sea World's future is the thrill rides, I believe, sprinkled in with wildlife exhibits here and there.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

The Sea World expansions, to me, are the most important in Orlando.  Why?  Because, IMO, if they are doing well, then without a doubt Uni and Diz are doing even better.  And, Aquatica expanding keeps Uni honest with Volcano Bay.  Sea World's future is the thrill rides, I believe, sprinkled in with wildlife exhibits here and there.  

I wonder how viable is putting in a garage across Sea Harbor Drive and expanding the parking in to the lot.  Sea World feels insanely cramped.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I’d rather go to Gatorland!

Disneyland Grad Nites are returning this year after a two-year hiatus and there’s even a Grad Nite Reunion!

Sadly, ours aren’t coming back. If you went while they were still an annual event here in Florida, what do you remember most?

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202204/8913/

From Theme Park Insider 

3 hours ago, codypet said:

I wonder how viable is putting in a garage across Sea Harbor Drive and expanding the parking in to the lot.  Sea World feels insanely cramped.

I had this discussion with my friend a few weeks back looking at all the SeaWorld expansions in the area. If they can get a garage going with maybe some transportation to aquatica they can pull off what Universal pulls off having volcano Bay not necessarily having its own parking. I know they're expanding the aquatica parking lot but eventually that can be paved over into something.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’d rather go to Gatorland!

Oh, I'm sorry...so Sea Wolves doing clown tricks don't cut it for ya?

3 hours ago, codypet said:

I felt they should do that and then start reclaiming surface parking into expanded areas for the park.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Oh, I'm sorry...so Sea Wolves doing clown tricks don't cut it for ya?

I always liked Marineland better because it was actually on the ocean (not to mention the authentic retro architecture like something Captain Nemo would have conjured and oh! the restaurant that made it seem like Ward, June and The Beav would arrive any moment). SWO’s simulator rides were mostly meh and I’m not a big coaster fan (except wooden ones). Usually after an hour or two I was bored.

Meanwhile, afterward at Marineland a quick hop over to Fort Matanzas (which I might add had some really cute rangers and docents - I dated one for most of a summer before he headed off to UVa- wahoowah!)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I always liked Marineland better because it was actually on the ocean (not to mention the authentic retro architecture like something Captain Nemo would have conjured and oh! the restaurant that made it seem like Ward, June and The Beav would arrive any moment). SWO’s simulator rides were mostly meh and I’m not a big coaster fan (except wooden ones). Usually after an hour or two I was bored.

Meanwhile, afterward at Marineland a quick hop over to Fort Matanzas (which I might add had some really cute rangers and docents - I dated one for most of a summer before he headed off to UVa- wahoowah!)

LOL.  I love it.

Yeah, Marineland does/did have/has that retro look going on.

I ain't one to  back Greenpeace (at least not historically), but after seeing Blackfish I was like you gotta be insane to get into a tank with Orcas.  The story of Telicum was a sad one (and for his trainer at SW).  SW knowingly took a troubled Orca that was relegated to being a bull (there's Bulls at Barcodes (I hear)) that had a sketchy past and they still made him into a show whale knowing this (if everything CNN reported in their "documentary" was true).

Anyway, I think SW's future is the coasters- make them the fastest, tallest, longest.  If coasters weren't a thing, Universal wouldn't invest in new ones, right?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  I love it.

Yeah, Marineland does/did have/has that retro look going on.

I ain't one to  back Greenpeace (at least not historically), but after seeing Blackfish I was like you gotta be insane to get into a tank with Orcas.  The story of Telicum was a sad one (and for his trainer at SW).  SW knowingly took a troubled Orca that was relegated to being a bull (there's Bulls at Barcodes (I hear)) that had a sketchy past and they still made him into a show whale knowing this (if everything CNN reported in their "documentary" was true).

Anyway, I think SW's future is the coasters- make them the fastest, tallest, longest.  If coasters weren't a thing, Universal wouldn't invest in new ones, right?

Coasters have been on a tear for the last couple of decades but with the population aging dark rides are beginning to make a comeback. Like anything else, it’s cyclical. The second tier parks and below like coasters because they’re cheaper (they can be bought off the shelf), have greater capacity and require fewer operators than dark rides.

Btw, early reports on Epcot’s GotG “story coaster” are that it will be WDW’s premiere E-ticket and will rival (at least until Epic) anything Universal has. It also dilutes Uni’s east coast Marvel dominance.

Personally, I still like the Tiki Birds…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I felt they should do that and then start reclaiming surface parking into expanded areas for the park.

Yes that is what I'm thinking too.  My last trip to SW they directed me to park next to the Renaissance, and then me and toddler Codypet had to hoof it to the park entrance.  It doesn't appear they run the trams anymore so they might as well go garage and walkway over Sea Harbor Drive and then dump you into a new park entrance in the current preferred parking lot.  Then you can add a whole new land right up front.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, codypet said:

screenshot_2021-06-07_003102.jpg.59c9e2bae3f63e1121761b9caeace771.jpg

This slide from their 2015 Manby era investor call still seems like a great plan IMO. The most intriguing part of it isn't the SeaWorld parking lot but the hotel encircling Discovery Cove. I could easily see some Poly style bungalows going in there and blowing every other resort out of the water for beauty and experience. I could even see them reworking DC to be a part of a large resort, à la Atlantis. I do think the SeaWorld parking lot and the upper left yellow resort area should be flipped. I think something more in line with the old Hetzel entrance project would be perfect for today's SeaWorld. But I'd swap those surface lots for more resorts and a small retail complex, maybe even space for a couple of midway style attractions similar to the ones they  were rumored to be looking at for China. I'm proud of SeaWorld. As the only true Orlando based theme park company, I think its important to see them succeed. They're a nice balance from the other large attractions in the area. 

xztemb6cu7l51.webp.c571c932ca1b9919e637138c14e5299d.webp03-seaworld-hotel-orlando_page_03.jpg.d219acac02afa24dfa6bb60ae14e190c.jpg

• Like 1

This is the apartment on the SW corner of the parking lot at Artegon aka Deezerland on I-Drive.  I must say it is light years better than a vacant parking lot. And it is adjacent to that big development to the south which is north of Tangelo.

20220502_172626.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:13 AM, jgardnerucf said:

What about it.     Supposed to be roller coasters.     Instead ya got wood frame section 8.     Neat.     Next!

well, this isn't that land.  this is part of Artegon's parking lot.  Just like that complex that's built upon the former lot/parcel at Carrier Dr & Universal a couple miles to the south, it's night and day better than an abandoned plaza or unused parking lot...unless I'm missing something here...

22 hours ago, codypet said:

In unrelated news.   Here comes the screen. 

20220508_173920.jpg

great news.  my spin on this is that Unicorp is well under way with being a successful company with many projects and properties in CFLA.  This will help the Mangos people get this project profitable (or more profitable) for stability reasons and then make it easier for them to push their other project(s) forward.  I think with the failure of Circo canceling plans to take over the rooftop space, that was a major blow.  But this Disney money is very good.  

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

great news.  my spin on this is that Unicorp is well under way with being a successful company with many projects and properties in CFLA.  This will help the Mangos people get this project profitable (or more profitable) for stability reasons and then make it easier for them to push their other project(s) forward.  I think with the failure of Circo canceling plans to take over the rooftop space, that was a major blow.  But this Disney money is very good.  

I wouldn't hold my breath for the Mango's people to accomplish anything. That garage opened how long ago? And they still haven't found a replacement tenant? To say nothing of their roller coaster project that never went anywhere.

2 hours ago, F-L-A said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for the Mango's people to accomplish anything. That garage opened how long ago? And they still haven't found a replacement tenant? To say nothing of their roller coaster project that never went anywhere.

yeah, that really is too bad... but they almost had a deal with a replacement I read here a couple of years ago, but with covid, I think that got shot to h***.  

They've got Mooyah Burgers in there and Avis; But on street view I think they boarded up the remainder of the I-Drive frontage other than Mooyah...  I don't know whether the Hulkster store is going in there too; they own the building they're in anyway so it would be a wash.