Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Moving to Dr Phillips and expecting not to be impacted by the tourism hoopla is like moving next to the airport and being shocked by the noise. We knew that back in the ‘70’s, for heaven’s sake.

One of my favorites was the news story about people living by the dump complaining about it smelling bad and that garbage trucks were too prevalent in their area.  UMMMM? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Moving to Dr Phillips and expecting not to be impacted by the tourism hoopla is like moving next to the airport and being shocked by the noise. We knew that back in the ‘70’s, for heaven’s sake.

Ehhhh I'm not so sure about that.   Back when my parents moved into that house in 97, it wasn't like you could see the Mercado or Goodings from there.  Not even Lockheed which owned most the land in the area was visible.  They had crafted that stretch of I-drive to be a more spruced up adult convention area (South of Sand Lake).   It was mostly restaurants and not mini theme parks.  That was reserved for the north end of I-drive.  It's very much morphed in the last 20 years.  Now if you said the people down by Ruby Lake were complaining, I would agree with you.  That's at Disney's back door.  Now the question is, how many people complaining in the DP area have lived there for nearly 30 years.   It might be under 1000.  Most people living there may have only been there in the last 10. 

• Like 2

^^

yeah, it was late when my passenger snapped that shot of the Hollywood Plaza Garage.  I was absolutely stunned when I first saw it.  I had no idea they draped the entire building (at least the N, S, and W facades with those blue LED lattice.  Kind of reminded me of when Q captured the Enter- nevermind...

IMO, something this bright should be in downtown.  but lights cost money...

I guess it’s perspective. When my parents moved back from Jax in ‘78 they looked at some of the houses Bel Air was building north of Sand Lake and east of Apopka-Vineland (why haven’t they renamed that for Arnie yet?). They concluded I-Drive would only get tackier as time went by and would push past its boundaries. They pretty much nailed it. In any event, given the number of management/marketing type folks who work in hospitality/theme parks/conventions down there and live in Dr. Phillips, it amuses me they’d complain (same for the Martin folks given the company owned much of the land on and around I-Drive and profited handsomely from selling it).

7 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

yeah, it was late when my passenger snapped that shot of the Hollywood Plaza Garage.  I was absolutely stunned when I first saw it.  I had no idea they draped the entire building (at least the N, S, and W facades with those blue LED lattice.  Kind of reminded me of when Q captured the Enter- nevermind...

IMO, something this bright should be in downtown.  but lights cost money...

are those solely blue or can they change color? it'd be cool if they can do effects

IMO it makes the building look smaller

3 hours ago, shardoon said:

I live on the big sand lake. I actually like the colorful horizon. I was looking forward to the pollercoaster........... unfortunately doesn't look like that is going to happen. 

Obviously the project has been delayed, but its not dead yet. Late 2020 (post COVID) they bought another adjacent parcel and leaked new concept plans with a new name/partnership: Lionsgate, which did build something similar in China in 2019. Late 2021, the owner said be still wants to do it but he needs to recover from the effects of COVID first and find additional financing.

Ejp4Wy8XcAEJsZQ?format=jpg&name=large

Ejp4Wy9XsAMa3Nd?format=jpg&name=large

Ejp4WzqX0AQSfJ-?format=jpg&name=large

Ejp4W1XWsAAGp0K?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

15 hours ago, aent said:

are those solely blue or can they change color? it'd be cool if they can do effects

IMO it makes the building look smaller

Don't know. Saw it for the first time ever with those blue lights and light board

14 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Problem is that construction costs are outpacing his ability to recover cashflow and attain financing. Inflating costs + higher interest rates = this is dead. 

Well, they couldn't get any takers (investors) when they flew over to Dubai on Emirates inaugural flight...unfortunately...

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There are folks who love living in Vegas and that’s fine. I’d rather be waterboarded personally but to each their own.

Believe it or not you can live in downtown Chicago in a residential neighborhood,  towers and all, just a few blocks from the tourism machine and not even realize you're that close.

14 hours ago, aent said:

Obviously the project has been delayed, but its not dead yet. Late 2020 (post COVID) they bought another adjacent parcel and leaked new concept plans with a new name/partnership: Lionsgate, which did build something similar in China in 2019. Late 2021, the owner said be still wants to do it but he needs to recover from the effects of COVID first and find additional financing.

Ejp4Wy8XcAEJsZQ?format=jpg&name=large

Ejp4Wy9XsAMa3Nd?format=jpg&name=large

Ejp4WzqX0AQSfJ-?format=jpg&name=large

Ejp4W1XWsAAGp0K?format=jpg&name=large

Fantastic. I think with the sports bar going on their roof and the Disney store downstairs and the Disney banner etc., they should be turning the corner...

15 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Problem is that construction costs are outpacing his ability to recover cashflow and attain financing. Inflating costs + higher interest rates = this is dead. 

There's a lot of variables... if tourism can stay doing well in spite of those things, which it might, people are desperate to get out, combined with Epic Universe being built down the street possibly attracting even more people to the area, it seems like it could be feasible, just delayed. It definitely ain't dead when they are still buying land for it.

So, Epic Univers is the big money and funded, demanding all of the labor for construction, along with the hotels adjacent. 

These pipe-dream projects will never get out of design phase or or out of grond in this market with thes big projects occurring at the same time. 

I would like to think that is multiplicative, but it is not and never  will be. 

The best investment we can do is a public grant/partnership for a sunrail line connecting SunRail and I-Drive to the intermodal station. 

Other options are politicing, IMHO and trash versions of what will make the system successful.  It may still be a loss system, after build-out, but how is that any less than current traffic lanes or uber, etc. 

Efficiency is the answer. 

On 6/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, shardoon said:

We have to embrace the tourism. It allows a city our size punch up  way higher than it should. We have a huge airport, tons of nice restaurants, world class hotels......heck we just got 4 Michelin stared restaurants. Without tourism, we are Tulsa.

Pfft, Tulsa has that oil money. Without tourism, we would be Lakeland. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jack said:

Pfft, Tulsa has that oil money. Without tourism, we would be Lakeland. 

That’s what the tourism industry would, of course, have you believe. We would not, of course, have some of the glitz and glamour (much of which I find tacky - then again, I wouldn’t want to live in Vegas, Gatlinburg or Myrtle Beach, either).

What you’re forgetting is that. eight years before Walt arrived (and, let’s remember, what he was proposing in 1965 was a city of the future, not a G-rated Vegas; the purpose of the Magic Kingdom - 1 park, not 4, was to pay for the experimental parts of the city), Martin and aerospace arrived. Spin-offs from that would have likely led to a prosperous economy with a lot less bling (and all those expense account restaurants most residents never dine in) and a much-higher wage base (instead of 50th of 50 like we are today, with all the accompanying dysfunction). Lakeland never had a Martin.

In the absence of major tourism, local leaders would likely have worked harder to keep our two military bases and, like Lakeland, we’d still have an agricultural industry (albeit a much smaller part of the economy). A slower level of growth would also have been better for the environment (in the ‘60’s you could still swim in most local lakes - wanna try that today?).

I didn’t agree at the time, but Paul Pickett, chairman of the Orange County Commission, told National Geographic in 1971, “No hard feelings, but I wish the mouse had stayed in California”. After relying  primarily on one industry for much too long, and with the same folks insisting that the answer to the inequality in the region is to double down going forward,  I’m beginning to see his point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s what the tourism industry would, of course, have you believe. We would not, of course, have some of the glitz and glamour (much of which I find tacky - then again, I wouldn’t want to live in Vegas, Gatlinburg or Myrtle Beach, either).

What you’re forgetting is that. eight years before Walt arrived (and, let’s remember, what he was proposing in 1965 was a city of the future, not a G-rated Vegas; the purpose of the Magic Kingdom - 1 park, not 4, was to pay for the experimental parts of the city), Martin and aerospace arrived. Spin-offs from that would have likely led to a prosperous economy with a lot less bling (and all those expense account restaurants most residents never dine in) and a much-higher wage base (instead of 50th of 50 like we are today, with all the accompanying dysfunction). Lakeland never had a Martin.

In the absence of major tourism, local leaders would likely have worked harder to keep our two military bases and, like Lakeland, we’d still have an agricultural industry (albeit a much smaller part of the economy). A slower level of growth would also have been better for the environment (in the ‘60’s you could still swim in most local lakes - wanna try that today?).

I didn’t agree at the time, but Paul Pickett, chairman of the Orange County Commission, told National Geographic in 1971, “No hard feelings, but I wish the mouse had stayed in California”. After relying  primarily on one industry for much too long, and with the same folks insisting that the answer to the inequality in the region is to double down going forward,  I’m beginning to see his point.

I don't disagree. That is why we would be a Lakeland but maybe slightly larger. 

I do think it is very possible many of the defense and aerospace jobs would have migrated to Brevard. If they did not, we would still be very small city in the middle of a large state. 

• Like 1