Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

30 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Don't forget those giant praying hands!

oral-roberts-university.jpg

It just wouldn’t be the same without Oral Roberts and sadly the Lord called him home - of course , we did have Benny Hinn but he just wasn’t in the same league, I don’t think…

Otoh, both the Tulsa Race Massacre and the Ocoee Massacre happened just a few years apart in the 1920’s. I certainly hope both areas have come a long way since those bad old days.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Don't forget those giant praying hands!

oral-roberts-university.jpg

Fun fact. I was born at the city of faith hospital where these hands are for the very brief period it was a hospital.  Also as far as I know the only jewish child born at this hospital 

moved to orlando when I was 9 and haven’t looked back 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pieson said:

Fun fact. I was born at the city of faith hospital where these hands are for the very brief period it was a hospital.  Also as far as I know the only jewish child born at this hospital 

moved to orlando when I was 9 and haven’t looked back 

I haven't thought about her in so many years and now twice in one week.  The college girlfriend that took me to Texas to see her family made us go back through Tulsa because her sister lived there & she missed her (as good sisters do) so we stopped there.  I got to experience the praying hands up close and go to an Echo & the Bunnymen show.

This was also the first time that I realized regular girls (AKA not just my little sister who was mostly not disgusting) were just as nasty as dudes, if not moreso.  I was in the car with 3 girls for about 2,500 miles on that trip.  We all stayed together in motel rooms.  I was on my best guy behavior because I *just knew* they expected me to be a pig.  I couldn't believe the volume of belching, farting, and the destroyed bathrooms along the way.  My dude friends didn't hold a candle to them.  Although, all 3 of the girls were extremely pretty so that was nice, too.

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Two themed escape rooms are coming to Universal City Walk:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/

From Theme Park Insider 

The Back to the Future one intrigues me.  I've never done an escape room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

I'm very disappointed. It's crazy to think that that area was going to be a thrill park and attract too many visitors now look . I know the tangelo residents can't be happy but it's their fault. Anyhow, this is interesting. Last year for my son's 5th birthday his mom wanted to do one of those vacation houses and it was interesting but it's something I'll never do again and I don't like. But I guess it fits the fancy for enough people. I'm not really on board with this development but our city is already proven. They don't know how to plan and develop a city accordingly so it is what it is at this point

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

They don't know how to plan and develop a city accordingly so it is what it is at this point

they really don't. at this point I don't know how much I can take on the lack of diverse housing thats not just a plywood box inside an HOA, endless traffic, entire roads that are just weaving curves, and "it takes one hour to drive from Orlando to Orlando"

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm very disappointed. It's crazy to think that that area was going to be a thrill park and attract too many visitors now look . I know the tangelo residents can't be happy but it's their fault. Anyhow, this is interesting. Last year for my son's 5th birthday his mom wanted to do one of those vacation houses and it was interesting but it's something I'll never do again and I don't like. But I guess it fits the fancy for enough people. I'm not really on board with this development but our city is already proven. They don't know how to plan and develop a city accordingly so it is what it is at this point

One, what did the Tangelo residents do? And what is wrong with vacation home communities, it is just a horizontal hotel. 

16 minutes ago, jack said:

And what is wrong with vacation home communities, it is just a horizontal hotel. 

Low density, sprawly communities take up more space than a taller, more compact building; space that could be used to address the awful housing crisis currently plaguing this entire state.

^^

just look at those photos.  The HPG never looked so good.  Disney made it look like a present with those blue lights.  I guess they're permanently blue, otherwise, based on Disney's position on LGBT matters, it would be a rainbow this month; but it's not.  Disney must have spent some money on that.

So when you head east on SLR, you see the light board clearly...en route to Epic Universe.  In fact, when on I-4 east, heading away from Disney, you also can't miss it.

Man, Universal really upped the ante with the creation of Epic Universe and the expansion of it's original real estate footprint in Orlando.  And, with their latest move ala Brightline...we'll see where that goes...

I wonder if the guys at Mango's took it personally when Universal tried to quell their Skycoaster project...because they have Disney paying them rent, but, they also benefit from an I-Drive Brightline station which puts them in Universal's camp.  Doesn't it?  Wow.

All I know is that there is a lot of money being spent in Orlando right now in the attractions area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

Thanks DeSantis!

Disney Unexpectedly Cancels Brightline Rail Station Project In Orlando

Article: https://insidethemagic.net/2022/06/disney-world-cancels-rail-station-ld1/?fbclid=IwAR0Qo54NnFliAtNVR9JvRuYLqjENCnffLqgrhzjiZPL0GQ08osEwOxQN8-0

What in the world does DeSantis have to do with this? The stated reason for cancellation is our local democrats demanding that they don't use the route that Disney wants, getting involved in Brightline and Disney's private business instead of letting them just build it with no tax dollars, like they originally wanted to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aent said:

What in the world does DeSantis have to do with this? The stated reason for cancellation is our local democrats demanding that they don't use the route that Disney wants, getting involved in Brightline and Disney's private business instead of letting them just build it with no tax dollars, like they originally wanted to do.

His post assumes this is in retaliation for the Reedy Creek stuff.  I actually assumed the same thing- but with a twist...

Back when Rick Scott was the governor and he said no to Fed $$$ for OIA to Tampa HSR, soon afterwards he himself announced the proposal from FEC for AAF.  I presumed then that FEC got into Scott's ear, etc.  Why stop with that governor?  So, I think I posted in the other thread that Ron Dee's move against Reedy Creek may have been a preemptive strike for the purposes of future negotiations with The Mouse on their presumed or anticipated rail stop stance.  FEC knows without that stop they lose a lot of money (like Obama HSR would've).  So all this can be nothing more than a power play- place the RCID back where it was in exchange for a Disney stop; show them you have the balls to make them play fair and to be a team player.  Whether or not it's a Party move isn't part of my analysis.

I'm in the minority on this, based on comments I've read on these threads, because most Democrats just don't care for the OCCC and what it stands for (ask Spenser for clarification).  And the "most" is based on the "likes" he's gotten on his comments about that.  The evil convention center; The Death Star as it were.  So, the Democrats (you referred to above) know that the OCCC needs to be supported by transit (rail) for it's future; and I agree- and this is a great opportunity.  But consider this...FEC is for the most part a team player.  Is Disney? 

So, back to Brightline.   They see a cheaper alternative by leasing the easement from FDOT/Sunrail with federal money vs what they would pay along SR 417 (whatever that is), otherwise they wouldn't do it, right? 

On another note, tourists are still coming to Orlando on BL to go to Disney; that's what they're gonna be doing come 2023; that's the whole point of BL to Orlando from Miami to begin with, right?

You do make a valid point- two private companies are trying to do a "deal"- BUT, that deal is not being made in a vacuum.  Why? Because GOAA already spent hundreds of millions on an intermodal center at OIA; the State gave over $200M towards it.  It may have cost over $400M.  GOAA did good negotiating with FEC.  That being said, Comcast is a private company too with major investment in Orlando.  And the County also has their interests at play with the OCCC and Sunrail's future viability. Meaning, that there's more going on than a deal between two private companies that got interfered with by "Democrats."  Besides, CSX is a "private" company that did a major deal that gave us Sunrail to begin with; and they got stroked as well.

I mean...Demmings halted expansion of the OCCC because the post-covid tax dollars just aren't there yet (not because its "evil").  But now, they can morph where new money comes from ala FRA money to expand Sunrail a bit.  By expanding Sunrail, they are supporting the OCCC; they are also getting Sunrail service to OIA (for the rest of the N/S line); they are leasing the E/W line to BL and getting money back.  A line to the OCCC will make booking shows a little easier.  Add to this the Comcast connection.  They benefit too and they'll help generate ridership from OIA to the OCCC (and they'll help book shows at OCCC based on EU's business model).  Intertwined.  And FEC is on board with this plan.

If you ask me,  when you have FEC spending all this money and planning to lease the tracks, it makes it a viable investment for the FRA.  That leg from OIA can't become a "dog." Because it will support two systems.   

Just remember, Sunrail cannot expand without tax dollars being spent.  And this FEC leg to Tampa proposal is a great opportunity to get a leg for Sunrail that can really boost its ridership numbers- which ensures its future, while offering a cheaper easement for Brightline while adding ridership sources to its system.

I just broke my own rule by discussing this in this thread.  Sorry Orange87.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

In case you’ve been wondering, the new name for Splash Mountain at both MK and DL will be “Tiana’s Bayou Adventure”.

Apparently, the change won’t be ready until late 2024, however, so no word on when our Frontierland attraction will close to make the change.

No clues so far on how the talented wordsmiths at WDW plan to share that a New Orleans- themed attraction belongs in Frontierland but I guess they have two years to work that out…

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/1/2022 at 2:19 PM, spenser1058 said:

In case you’ve been wondering, the new name for Splash Mountain at both MK and DL will be “Tiana’s Bayou Adventure”.

Apparently, the change won’t be ready until late 2024, however, so no word on when our Frontierland attraction will close to make the change.

No clues so far on how the talented wordsmiths at WDW plan to share that a New Orleans- themed attraction belongs in Frontierland but I guess they have two years to work that out…

team america vomit GIF

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:19 PM, spenser1058 said:

Once again, the powers that be in the Imagineers department  created the ride to the Disneyland configuration of New Orleans Square / Critter Country, where it’s perfectly themed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Once again, the powers that be in the Imagineers department  created the ride to the Disneyland configuration of New Orleans Square / Critter Country, where it’s perfectly themed.

Yep, they’re in great shape in Anaheim. As for us, not so much. Now if we could get a Blue Bayou Restaurant of the deal…

Edited by spenser1058