Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

15 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I am a little confused.

Ok, I spoke to a colleague and showed him the map of Bonnet Creek and he indicated that the land in between Waldorf and JW may be undeveloped for a reason as part of the wetland (surrounding the actual creek), which means BL couldn't build there (which rules it out.  Maybe not since other stretches of Bonnet Creek to the north and south have development abutting it.

Next, if you want to be as close as possible to Diz Springs, then land in between Marriott World and Vistana would be the locale.

If that is not in the mix, then Xentury City would be the place, with potential access to 536 and Osceola Parkway for access onto Diz property.  At this point, you would think they would have to build a rather large transportation center with many buses to take guests maybe not necessarily directly to DIz Springs- unless they figure that Diz Springs already "perfected" a rather large bus depot there so just bus people to there and be done with it.  EIther BL would do the "final Mile" or they would contract with...gee...can anyone think of a nice guy transportation company in Orlando?

The confusion is that I'm not trying to say I know about where it is going.  I don't.

I was just taking the map that @jgardnerucf made that was almost invisible because it was so faded out and made it easier to read.  @prahabohemesaid they couldn't make out the image, so i made a clearer version.

I used the clues of seeing where Big Lake Bryan was and where the hook of International was and grabbed something that wasn't so faded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

The confusion is that I'm not trying to say I know about where it is going.  I don't.

I was just taking the map that @jgardnerucf made that was almost invisible because it was so faded out and made it easier to read.  @prahabohemesaid they couldn't make out the image, so i made a clearer version.

I used the clues of seeing where Big Lake Bryan was and where the hook of International was and grabbed something that wasn't so faded.

Oh I'm not confused by your post; I was just being conversational.  in fact, I can't remember what I was confused about... oh yeah, whether they can build in Bonnet Creek.

Xentury City may make more sense because of all that land, and they could redo the intersection of the feeder streets to 536 and go that way to the first WB exit to DIz Springs/Buena Vista Drive with buses that dump passengers at the Diz Springs bus depot.  If the go by way of Osceola Pkwy, they might have to go as far as World Drive-or not, they could take Victory Way to Buena Vista Drive-still, around three times the distance than using 536.

So, I think if they do go to Xentury City, they intend to use The 536 as above.  Bonnet Creek would be just a little closer (to Diz Springs) if it's even in play as a prospective location.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:53 PM, spenser1058 said:

It just wouldn’t be the same without Oral Roberts and sadly the Lord called him home - of course , we did have Benny Hinn but he just wasn’t in the same league, I don’t think…

Otoh, both the Tulsa Race Massacre and the Ocoee Massacre happened just a few years apart in the 1920’s. I certainly hope both areas have come a long way since those bad old days.

So some interesting random Orlando connections. Oral Roberts' third president, and the first not in the family, was Dr. Mark Rutland. Prior to leading Oral Roberts, he was the President of Southeastern University in Lakeland. Prior to that, he was the Senior Pastor at Calvary Assembly (the glass one in Winter Park beside I-4). Calvary Assembly is where he really sharpened his skills, helping saving the church from financial ruin. He then did the same turnaround at SEU and then ORU. 

Another little tidbit, one of the founders of SEU (when it was still located in Alabama) was Edgar W. Bethany. His daughter was Jan Crouch, the co-founder of TBN made famous by her pink hair and her unique style best showcased at the now defunct Holy Land Experience. 

Just like Kevin Bacon, Orlando is never too far removed from any topic. 

Edited by klstorey
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 2:08 PM, klstorey said:

So some interesting random Orlando connections. Oral Roberts' third president, and the first not in the family, was Dr. Mark Rutland. Prior to leading Oral Roberts, he was the President of Southeastern University in Lakeland. Prior to that, he was the Senior Pastor at Calvary Assembly (the glass one in Winter Park beside I-4). Calvary Assembly is where he really sharpened his skills, helping saving the church from financial ruin. He then did the same turnaround at SEU and then ORU. 

Another little tidbit, one of the founders of SEU (when it was still located in Alabama) was Edgar W. Bethany. His daughter was Jan Crouch, the co-founder of TBN made famous by her pink hair and her unique style best showcased at the now defunct Holy Land Experience. 

Just like Kevin Bacon, Orlando is never too far removed from any topic. 

Oooh, great finds, as always (I’m missing your in-depth OW pieces - I’ve been told a new job for you curtailed that, if you can comment).

While we’re connecting dots, Jeff Lebby, after the Baylor football meltdown a few years back, found a place to start over at Southeastern. After a year, he was snatched up by Coach Heup atUCF and helped KZ place as high as sixth in the Heisman race before the QB’s tragic incident playing Duh Cows. Lebby’s now at OU and is coaching KZ’s successor, Dillon Gabriel.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:57 PM, spenser1058 said:

Oooh, great finds, as always (I’m missing your in-depth OW pieces - I’ve been told a new job for you curtailed that, if you can comment).

I have indeed taken a new job and had to step away from my writing at OW. I'm working for a local planning agency now, in the communication department. It's a perfect blend of my two interests. I still contribute some to Halldale Group's military and aviation magazines but since I'm now working in local planning I've stepped away from covering anything within the region. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s odd that State Farm is becoming a Disney partner with stuff like the new parking app and Disney Podcast and something over at Disney Springs but they aren’t putting their name on the Car Care Center…since Barry Manilow wrote the “Like a Good Neighbor” ad, he could do Eat to the Beat or Candlelight Processional, too

Edited by spenser1058

^^

What is laughable about that article and situation is that Icon stopped their laser shooting gallery "because it unnerved readers across the nation." They're not talking about people actually at Icon Park.  "Readers" of what exactly, someone in the media stirring it up and slamming Icon Park? Let's be sensible here; we're not rats.

On a related note from my post, Fried said two of the seats on the drop tower were manually readjusted; the deceased was in one of them. What's the solution here people? Are we gonna shut down all the drop towers around the country with these "facts"?  No.  It was operator error it seems.  Remedy =the legal process.  Or, maybe we should ask the "readers" per above what they think. Or maybe ask City Hall.  They seem to be pretty opinionated lately even when they are forced to eat crow.

All that said, I personally think it was a bad idea to have laser targets on roofs below with hundreds of people nearby, shootings or not. That, and I also thought it was cheesy for a hundred million dollar observation wheel. They need to stick to catering to the party and/or convention crowd, IMO. 

I’m curious if you read past the first paragraph as he discusses several of your points further down, including: 

Whether anyone - or you, or your neighbor - believes that ICON Park should have continued offering a gun-themed shooter game is irrelevant. As a business, ICON Park has to follow - or better, lead - the market. While the park said that the upcharge game satisfied its current customers, ICON Park needs to be growing its market by appealing to tourists and locals who have not considered this collection of International Drive attractions in the past. So taking away any moral arguments - from whatever perspective - dumping Bullseye Blast and looking for an alternative was the right thing to do.”

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m curious if you read past the first paragraph as he discusses several of your points further down, including: 

Whether anyone - or you, or your neighbor - believes that ICON Park should have continued offering a gun-themed shooter game is irrelevant. As a business, ICON Park has to follow - or better, lead - the market. While the park said that the upcharge game satisfied its current customers, ICON Park needs to be growing its market by appealing to tourists and locals who have not considered this collection of International Drive attractions in the past. So taking away any moral arguments - from whatever perspective - dumping Bullseye Blast and looking for an alternative was the right thing to do.”

I think we're beyond pearl clutching of this sort of thing when a place like Machine Gun America exists.

MAGA Mouse - C H R I S · M A G G I O

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh, I read that.  But a clever tactic that the media does is that they know people have a short attention span, and sometimes won't read past the title or first paragraph of any article; and b/c people are too busy.  SO who needs their talking point on this?  Have they ever written about Icon before? Probably not.  Who asked them to be the "morality police" on this issue with ICON with their commentary?  ICON can figure it out on their own. 

But that's the media for you- or is it wrong to criticize the media too?

11 hours ago, codypet said:

I think we're beyond pearl clutching of this sort of thing when a place like Machine Gun America exists.

personally, I would never open up a business that allows people to fire full auto weapons, even if there is a trainer strapped to their back as with skydiving.  What insurance company would even insure that, Lloyd's?

11 hours ago, codypet said:

Yuck.

Interesting how the pro-gun families of mass shooters want to deny any responsibility despite their insistence of placing weapons in the hands of their unstable, violent offspring/family members.

These violent delights have violent ends.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Yuck.

Interesting how the pro-gun families of mass shooters want to deny any responsibility despite their insistence of placing weapons in the hands of their unstable, violent offspring/family members.

violent delights? Hmmm.  Ever been mugged at knifepoint?  If you found out who mugged you at knifepoint, are you going to go after his or her family?  Why did he or she mug you, for money and/or because they are mentally unstable?  what if you're female and someone raped you? 

I don't remember who, in fact, insists or insisted, on placing weapons in the hands of their violent offspring?  as far as liability goes, if it's a minor involved, you can sue the parents.  if they're not a minor, what, sue Aunt Jenny because you got knifed or shot or raped?

there are so many "violent delights" as you coined it, that people pick and choose which ones they want to discuss.   Here's one: drug use and all of the people it affects? funny how the same people that bring up guns are mums the word on drug use.  do you ever ask yourself why?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

violent delights? Hmmm.  Ever been mugged at knifepoint?  If you found out who mugged you at knifepoint, are you going to go after his or her family?  Why did he or she mug you, for money and/or because they are mentally unstable?  what if you're female and someone raped you? 

I don't remember who, in fact, insists or insisted, on placing weapons in the hands of their violent offspring?  as far as liability goes, if it's a minor involved, you can sue the parents.  if they're not a minor, what, sue Aunt Jenny because you got knifed or shot or raped?

there are so many "violent delights" as you coined it, that people pick and choose which ones they want to discuss.   Here's one: drug use and all of the people it affects? funny how the same people that bring up guns are mums the word on drug use.  do you ever ask yourself why?

Two jump out, the shooter outside of Chicago had known issues his dad knew about and still cosigned his purchase. The Newtown shooter did not buy his weapons but took them from his mother. Again, known mental issues and you keep weapons in the house. 

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Yuck.

These people are not pro gun in a classical sense, they are gun fetishist. 

Edited by jack
  • Like 1

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooter is another example.

Mental health counselors told the mother of Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz she shouldn’t let him buy guns, but she ignored their concerns and he began assembling an arsenal before her death last year... “If he wants to have a gun, he could have a gun,” Lynda Cruz told his counselors.

https://apnews.com/article/4f4f38edddfb4d34954201bf50b44dbf

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooter is another example.

Mental health counselors told the mother of Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz she shouldn’t let him buy guns, but she ignored their concerns and he began assembling an arsenal before her death last year... “If he wants to have a gun, he could have a gun,” Lynda Cruz told his counselors.

https://apnews.com/article/4f4f38edddfb4d34954201bf50b44dbf

sub out "gun" with "knife" and nobody cares (in the media).  Something just happened recently but because an AR15 wasn't involved, they didn't bother talking about it.  

Mental Health- sticky subject because who is manipulating the diagnosis.

As for the Cruz situation,  you don't know what symptoms he was exhibiting (HIPAA) and what the conversations actually were.  You only know what they printed in that article.  You cannot attest of the truth of what they wrote.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

sub out "gun" with "knife" and nobody cares (in the media).  Something just happened recently but because an AR15 wasn't involved, they didn't bother talking about it.  

As for the Cruz situation,  you don't know what symptoms he was exhibiting (HIPAA) and what the conversations actually were.  You only know what they printed in that article.  You cannot attest of the truth of what they wrote.

Yup, and obviously we also need to consider the lives saved by guns. People use guns an estimated 1.5 MILLION times a year to defend themselves against those trying to injure or kill them. And of course, the biggest reason of all, the reason for the second amendment, to defend against government mass killings by the government, such as the 60 million people lost in mass killings to communist regimes because the people didn't have a second amendment right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aent said:

Yup, and obviously we also need to consider the lives saved by guns. People use guns an estimated 1.5 MILLION times a year to defend themselves against those trying to injure or kill them. And of course, the biggest reason of all, the reason for the second amendment, to defend against government mass killings by the government, such as the 60 million people lost in mass killings to communist regimes because the people didn't have a second amendment right.

Not to quibble, but from a historical standpoint, the 2nd amendment was for self defense in any instance. Not necessarily to defend oneself from the government. Many states before the US constitutional had a similar clause in their own constitution.   

The emphasis on protection from the government is more of a modern day phenomenon.  

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

It is irrelevant. To have a free and prosperous society, we need to live as virtuous people. If not, the government will step and no good can come of that. 

The people closest to these killers either stood by or aided and abetted them. This is not only for mass shootings, you see similar issues with everyday gun violence and suicides. 

• Confused 1