Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

On 8/26/2022 at 3:01 PM, codypet said:

I really enjoy BGSW, but man they can't keep up on this pace of neglecting F&B and cleaning.

Soooo interesting conversation I had over the weekend with one of the employees.  I had noticed Falcon's Fury being down for much of the summer and the employee told me it had only been open one week this summer.   That they keep having problems with it.  I asked if anything was related to what they found in Orlando and he said no.   He did say that they do have more in common then one would think, but that's not the source of their problems with that ride.  He also said Scorpion's days are numbered as they're struggling to find repair parts and have resulted to cannibalizing the 2nd train to repair the first train.  Given the tight space there, I would imagine they'd have to replace it with another flat ride.   Also the boat that flips you upside down has been closed all  summer as has the skyride.

Edited by codypet

8 minutes ago, codypet said:

Soooo interesting conversation I had over the weekend with one of the employees.  I had noticed Falcon's Fury being down for much of the summer and the employee told me it had only been open one week this summer.   That they keep having problems with it.  I asked if anything was related to what they found in Orlando and he said no.   He did say that they do have more in common then one would think, but that's not the source of their problems with that ride.  He also said Scorpion's days are numbered as they're struggling to find repair parts and have resulted to cannibalizing the 2nd train to repair the first train.  Given the tight space there, I would imagine they'd have to replace it with another flat ride.   Also the boat that flips you upside down has been closed all  summer as has the skyride.

The sixflagsization of a once proud chain of parks continues. Welcome to management by PEF.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The sixflagsization of a once proud chain of parks continues. Welcome to management by PEF.

Luckily they're still putting in new rides.  BG is getting an all new entrance.  You see an infrastructure investment at both parks.  From what I'm seeing at SixFlags, they're just planning on just riding the wave.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Do we have names for two of the proposed hotels at Epic? Theme Park Insiders thinks it’s possible (with a hint at the theming):

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202209/9128/ 

when I was at the hearings for the Skycoaster project, a guy went to their team after they won the hearing and said he was at an office and saw the plans Uni had for an entertainment complex as the reason for contesting their project.  That was before they redeveloped WetnWild, so I assumed they were talking about that land, that Endless Summer eventually went on (water park plus parking lot).  Well, it turns out it was for THIS land.  Again, this was in the works long before the circumstances leading up to that lawsuit going on with that other company mentioned last week or so in this thread, which means Uni must have had an "in" to getting this land, maybe an option to buy?  Anyway, just like I was saying about the Spirit thing with JetBlue, it looks like Uni was already penciling in this land from back then (with the seller) behind closed doors.  

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

I still can't believe how Universal used to own all the land prior to all or this and sold off parcels. This is why you have top golf, the apartments, etc on that part of Universal Blvd. I can't help but wonder how much Universal wishes they never sold it off and had it all. 

I remember this.  they had land for two parks and sold land off to Orange Co for the N/S Bldg with a restriction not to build hotels or something like that.  I think they sold it after 911.  Their grand plans and MCO's grand plans were both flushed down the toilet.  It took like 15 years for new plans to solidify for both entities, and 5 years since that time, Terminal C is about to open and Epic U is under full construction...

I know some on these boards like to dog Uni for various reasons in favor of The Diz, but, Uni is the park that is integrated into the developed portion of Orange Co. and in The CIty's limits. I love DIsney, but the development of Uni is more profound to me because of this integration and proximity.   And in this case with Epic U, they are catering to the OCCC needs as well.  I love that because Uni is a partner of sorts that other major convention cities cannot compete with.  Each convention city has it's own schtick: Vegas has The Strip, NOLA has Bourbon Street, NYC has Times Square, Chicago has downtown  but its a trek, SF has, well, SF, which kicks butt, and The ATL has...the hood.  I mean, a theme park doesn't have to be right across the street for a conventioneer to take advantage of it, but show booking companies require entertainment and hotels to be walking distance.  Epic U will be a small trek by foot to the N/S Bldg's north entrance, but a theme park that close to it is not to be ignored and can make waves in the industry in favor of The ORL.  That's a big deal.  And if the BL Sunshine Corridor comes through, it's an even bigger deal.

The only thing I would do is have Orange Co or whomever design a bridge from I-Drive to Turkey Lake Rd between SLR & 528 for better connectivity b/c the SLR corridor absolutely stinks b/c it's too busy.  And when Epic U opens up, it will be even worse.

“I know some on these boards like to dog Uni for various reasons in favor of The Diz, but, Uni is the park that is integrated into the developed portion of Orange Co. and in The CIty's limits”

Funny you say that given that almost everything Universal has done in the area has been transactional and at arm’s length.

Which I suppose is fine - after all, Martin basically has regarded the community in the same way.

Meanwhile, folks at WDW like Dick Nunis, who was instrumental in helping to transform UCF from a commuter institution and helped immeasurably when we were trying to build things like the Bounce House.

Also, Meg Crofton, who had close ties with Rollins and the arts community. Speaking of the arts, there’s Judson’s at DPCPA, named for Judson Green, who also had close ties to the arts community in town.

Next time you’re at Lake Eola strolling by the Walt Disney Amphitheater, ask yourself when Uni is going to get involved with downtown.

Finally, our local boys made good like Al Weiss who had close ties to Kissimmee where he grew up and George Kalogridis from Winter Haven who started at the bottom and went all the way to the top with the company.

It’s great Universal’s here and having great success, but it sure would be nice to have them act like they want to really be a part of things, more than just a way station while moving up the corporate ladder back to Cali.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I remember this.  they had land for two parks and sold land off to Orange Co for the N/S Bldg with a restriction not to build hotels or something like that.  I think they sold it after 911.  Their grand plans and MCO's grand plans were both flushed down the toilet.  It took like 15 years for new plans to solidify for both entities, and 5 years since that time, Terminal C is about to open and Epic U is under full construction...

I know some on these boards like to dog Uni for various reasons in favor of The Diz, but, Uni is the park that is integrated into the developed portion of Orange Co. and in The CIty's limits. I love DIsney, but the development of Uni is more profound to me because of this integration and proximity.   And in this case with Epic U, they are catering to the OCCC needs as well.  I love that because Uni is a partner of sorts that other major convention cities cannot compete with.  Each convention city has it's own schtick: Vegas has The Strip, NOLA has Bourbon Street, NYC has Times Square, Chicago has downtown  but its a trek, SF has, well, SF, which kicks butt, and The ATL has...the hood.  I mean, a theme park doesn't have to be right across the street for a conventioneer to take advantage of it, but show booking companies require entertainment and hotels to be walking distance.  Epic U will be a small trek by foot to the N/S Bldg's north entrance, but a theme park that close to it is not to be ignored and can make waves in the industry in favor of The ORL.  That's a big deal.  And if the BL Sunshine Corridor comes through, it's an even bigger deal.

The only thing I would do is have Orange Co or whomever design a bridge from I-Drive to Turkey Lake Rd between SLR & 528 for better connectivity b/c the SLR corridor absolutely stinks b/c it's too busy.  And when Epic U opens up, it will be even worse.

About that last part...... a perfect location is making the bridge connect with the road just north of the West side OCCC. Problem is that it would have to be a pretty big urban bridge with flyovers because there isn't enough land between I4 and that part of turkey lake. Mucho $$$.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“I know some on these boards like to dog Uni for various reasons in favor of The Diz, but, Uni is the park that is integrated into the developed portion of Orange Co. and in The CIty's limits”

Funny you say that given that almost everything Universal has done in the area has been transactional and at arm’s length.

Which I suppose is fine - after all, Martin basically has regarded the community in the same way.

Meanwhile, folks at WDW like Dick Nunis, who was instrumental in helping to transform UCF from a commuter institution and helped immeasurably when we were trying to build things like the Bounce House.

Also, Meg Crofton, who had close ties with Rollins and the arts community. Speaking of the arts, there’s Judson’s at DPCPA, named for Judson Green, who also had close ties to the arts community in town.

Next time you’re at Lake Eola strolling by the Walt Disney Amphitheater, ask yourself when Uni is going to get involved with downtown.

Finally, our local boys made good like Al Weiss who had close ties to Kissimmee where he grew up and George Kalogridis from Winter Haven who started at the bottom and went all the way to the top with the company.

It’s great Universal’s here and having great success, but it sure would be nice to have them act like they want to really be a part of things, more than just a way station while moving up the corporate ladder back to Cali.

Disney's never been a team player.   Disney throws some Lucky Charms your way and all of the sudden they're your Jesus to Universal's Judas?

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

How 528 didn't initially connect to at least 435 or 535 is mind-boggling.  

Extending it to 429 & 27 would have been so easy at that point.  Stupid Buddy Dyer! (sarcasm)

Now, now...leave Spenser alone, Hank...LOL...

15 hours ago, shardoon said:

About that last part...... a perfect location is making the bridge connect with the road just north of the West side OCCC. Problem is that it would have to be a pretty big urban bridge with flyovers because there isn't enough land between I4 and that part of turkey lake. Mucho $$$.

I've actually thought of that.  you mean that road that has a light at I-Drive in front of Hyatt, with skywalk over it to Rosen Plaza?

Why couldn't they do it like Central Parkway, where the bridge ends as an intersection with street light?  I guess they would have to elevate Turkey Lake Road a bit right there where they meet...

I mean, for me, I'm the master of the back way (read into that what you will).   I'll head south on I-Drive, make a right in front of Rosen Plaza, then make a left into the West Bldg access road that becomes a bridge over 528, then make a right onto Westwood, then a right onto CFLA Pkwy to Palm Pkwy south (or north).  That's what I do as a local and I love it.  Tourists though... 

Edited by jrs2

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Disney's never been a team player.   Disney throws some Lucky Charms your way and all of the sudden they're your Jesus to Universal's Judas?

Now, now...leave Spenser alone, Hank...LOL...

Disney’s been a team player more often than Universal has ever considered it. There’s little Uni hasn’t done for money alone.

I continue to be gobsmacked by just how many here think that the only important part of what makes a city are buildings and money. Great cities have their own unique cultures that tie the citizens together. 

Edited by spenser1058

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Disney’s been a team player more often than Universal has ever considered it. There’s little Uni hasn’t done for money alone.

I continue to be gobsmacked by just how many here think that the only important part of what makes a city are buildings and money. Great cities have their own unique cultures that tie the citizens together. 

Disney does boatloads more. It is not even comparable. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

no, I agree with you on that (cultural stuff). but what are you referring to here in this instance, what you posted about or something else?

I volunteered at Give Kids the World for many years. Disney’s generosity has helped keep that amazing non-profit alive for decades (including the especially hard hit Covid year(s) when Kids Village was shutdown). 
If talking money alone, Disney has spent thousands of dollars per family who have had the unfortunate disposition to be qualified for a GKTW vacation. But it so much more than about dollars spent.

Then of course there is Make a Wish, the Childrens Pavilion at Advent, the dreamers and doers program. So many others…and that is just speaking about charity related community activities.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

How 528 didn't initially connect to at least 435 or 535 is mind-boggling.  

Extending it to 429 & 27 would have been so easy at that point.  Stupid Buddy Dyer! (sarcasm)

My neighborhood would not exist if that happened, a bridge over Big Sand Lake would have ruined the lake, the $$$ people along the Butler chain would also have freaked out with a bridge...... and of course the mouse would have said a big Hell No......then again, you never know with disney...... maybe if it terminated on Disney property and there were express lanes built in with electric shocks installed in case someone tries to get out of those express lanes early....maybe disney would have played ball LOL. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, shardoon said:

My neighborhood would not exist if that happened, a bridge over Big Sand Lake would have ruined the lake, the $$$ people along the Butler chain would also have freaked out with a bridge...... and of course the mouse would have said a big Hell No......then again, you never know with disney...... maybe if it terminated on Disney property and there were express lanes built in with electric shocks installed in case someone tries to get out of those express lanes early....maybe disney would have played ball LOL. 

@HankStrong

What if I told you it did at least initially.

Remember SR 528 in its current alignment came much later.  Initially SR 528 was straight with a handful of limited access areas.  West of MCO it was at grade (what is currently SR 482) which goes all the way to CR 435.  The bypass by the Turnpike in 1973 was built since now I-4 exists.  There was no reason to go west of there because where were you going to go?  The Dr. Phillips packing house?  I-4 took you to Disney and SR 482 was just a mile up I-4 to take you to the Dr. Phillips packing house or Windermere.  The explosion of growth of the Dr. Phillips area was in the 80's to early 00's.  West of the Butler chain didn't even really start until the mid 00's.  By then CFX was trying to close its beltway loops and the Turnpike was trying to widen their already strained existing highways.   

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, codypet said:

@HankStrong

Remember SR 528 in its current alignment came much later.  Initially SR 528 was straight with a handful of limited access areas.  West of MCO it was at grade (what is currently SR 482) which goes all the way to CR 435.  The bypass by the Turnpike in 1973 was built since now I-4 exists.  There was no reason to go west of there because where were you going to go?  The Dr. Phillips packing house?  I-4 took you to Disney and SR 482 was just a mile up I-4 to take you to the Dr. Phillips packing house or Windermere.  The explosion of growth of the Dr. Phillips area was in the 80's to early 00's.  West of the Butler chain didn't even really start until the mid 00's.  By then CFX was trying to close its beltway loops and the Turnpike was trying to widen their already strained existing highways.   

It's rather glichy......but enjoy. You can search all of orlando history via historical satellites and aerials. I've spent hours on this thing. So cool going back in time and seeing different stages of the orlando road construction, regular construction etc. Going back to the old 197ps Airport, disney construction, I4 construction all on sattilite and aerial images. Even can see the old DP citrus packing back in the heyday on aerials. It's like Google earth, but going in a time machine. 

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Edited by shardoon

14 hours ago, codypet said:

@HankStrong

that explains a lot.  it explains why SLR 482 is a direct line of sight E-W and terminates into the 528.  So what they did there is what they are doing at SR 46 where it goes west and then 429 breaks off of it where 46 is like an access road from that point west several miles.

16 hours ago, codypet said:

@HankStrong

The explosion of growth of the Dr. Phillips area was in the 80's to early 00's.  West of the Butler chain didn't even really start until the mid 00's.  By then CFX was trying to close its beltway loops and the Turnpike was trying to widen their already strained existing highways.   

When I worked at the health department in the early 90's I was part of the group that would do perc tests/soil profiles for septic tank installations. One day a coworker and I went to meet a developer in an area off Conroy Rd. We both scoffed when he told us they'd be building million dollar homes there in a project called Isleworth. :tw_grimace:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1