Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

You know that’s always hilarious to me. When WDW was 27, they had 4 parks, two water parks, 3 golf courses and twice as many hotels while Uni at 32 has only 2 parks, 1 water park and half as many hotels.

For heaven’s sake, why are the folks at Universal such laggards?

I also love the spin you’re putting on Kirkman Road. That is truly rich. To the extent there’s any truth to it, it’s the same old cabal that makes up uses for other people’s money like their white elephant convention center.

While we’re on conventions, WDW has infinitely more convention space in its hotels than Uni. Guess they were lagging on that also.

...and yet, Universal has 75% park attendance that WDW has, which means they do more with what they've got.  And as for water parks, it's Volcano Bay vs Aquatica for busiest.

"the old time cabal that makes uses for other peoples' money"- wow, I could go on and on about this one...starting with RCID

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

last I checked, the Kirkman extension was talked about for over a decade; maybe longer.  they wanted a big company to come in to trigger it's construction- well they got one.  and that money was for area transportation projects as well.  While Universal is busy building theme parks and infrastructure, Disney is busy making headlines in other ways.

Don’t forget that Disney was busy bringing high wage jobs to Lake Nona before that was put on hold when MAGA waged war on RCID.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 6:23 PM, jrs2 said:

As for the 50/50 wages status, aren't you the one that ran off "I Am Reality" because he questioned why everyone was so excited about the theme parks, i.e., the industry keeping the wages low, yet now, you are criticizing same?

@spenser1058 didn't run him off. None of us did. He got in a pi$$ing match with the man that controls the off button. I found the link if you want to relive the moment... 

34 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Your very name is a troll.   For real???!!! 

I'm done with this...problem is now solved. I've banned I am Reality from the site so hopefully everyone can get back to enjoying the community here.

41 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Jeez....some of you cannot help yourselves. Get back on topic. Both the right and the left get in pissing matches. Its assinine to think otherwise.

Anything new in the attractions area to talk about?

Sorry. I have zero interest in the parks, but a single comment in here stirred me to provide my input. I'll steer clear unless I have something relevant.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, shardoon said:

Jeez....some of you cannot help yourselves. Get back on topic. Both the right and the left get in pissing matches. Its assinine to think otherwise.

Anything new in the attractions area to talk about?

If I can quote myself from that linked thread:  

On 8/29/2018 at 7:27 AM, HankStrong said:

I like my info with a side of fun.  I think it bonds people together.  I agree with what Spencer said, the humor and general trivia tend to keep it from being a handful of posts a week.  When you don't see posts, you'll check less frequently because you know you won't miss anything, which means more people will check less frequently, and it tends to fall into disuse.  It's a shame the focus has moved to one problem so much lately around here.

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You know that’s always hilarious to me. When WDW was 27, they had 4 parks, two water parks, 3 golf courses and twice as many hotels while Uni at 32 has only 2 parks, 1 water park and half as many hotels.

For heaven’s sake, why are the folks at Universal such laggards?

I also love the spin you’re putting on Kirkman Road. That is truly rich. To the extent there’s any truth to it, it’s the same old cabal that makes up uses for other people’s money like their white elephant convention center.

While we’re on conventions, WDW has infinitely more convention space in its hotels than Uni. Guess they were lagging on that also.

I'm not sure why you're fanboying so hard over Disney, especially in such a "quantity over quality" fashion, but the fact of the matter is that Disney isn't integrated with Orlando's infrastructure and never will be, very much by design.  They could build 100 theme parks and not a single one of them would contribute to the rest of the area's businesses. They're one of the best examples of corporate NIMBYism to ever exist, right down to the very design and of their purposely isolated complex, but you're still here singing their praises like they're the best partner a city could have. It's frankly bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, F-L-A said:

I'm not sure why you're fanboying so hard over Disney, especially in such a "quantity over quality" fashion, but the fact of the matter is that Disney isn't integrated with Orlando's infrastructure and never will be, very much by design.  They could build 100 theme parks and not a single one of them would contribute to the rest of the area's businesses. They're one of the best examples of corporate NIMBYism to ever exist, right down to the very design and of their purposely isolated complex, but you're still here singing their praises like they're the best partner a city could have. It's frankly bizarre. 

In this regard. I believe you are correct. I do not think much tourism money comes to the community if Sea World and Universal were not here. International Drive would have never developed the way it did without the other parks that are in fact integrated with Orange County. All the lodging and restaurant money would have stayed in Disney. Not sure how the bed taxes work in Reedy Creek. However, it would be rare the tourists would leave the disney complex. 

However, one can reverse state that Sea World and Universal would have never set up shop here without Disney paving the way first. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Don’t forget that Disney was busy bringing high wage jobs to Lake Nona before that was put on hold when MAGA waged war on RCID.

with all due respect, at its heart, the RCID example is what can happen when outside entities interfere with parenting.   And Tavistock was the only winner as a landlord in a transfer of existing jobs from Anaheim.  You and I do not benefit at all from this deal.

5 hours ago, shardoon said:

In this regard. I believe you are correct. I do not think much tourism money comes to the community if Sea World and Universal were not here. International Drive would have never developed the way it did without the other parks that are in fact integrated with Orange County. All the lodging and restaurant money would have stayed in Disney. Not sure how the bed taxes work in Reedy Creek. However, it would be rare the tourists would leave the disney complex. 

However, one can reverse state that Sea World and Universal would have never set up shop here without Disney paving the way first. 

Disney's tourism is responsible for getting things rolling with high end hotels, stores, dealerships, airport development, development in general, and the convention industry on I-Drive even though they are down I-4 a bit.  And you are correct on Sea World and Universal.

So, I have mixed feelings on the Disney issue.  They are like a rich neighbor (that can be an a$$hole) that, as a result of their house, property values have gone up in the neighborhood and most everyone else benefits.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

with all due respect, at its heart, the RCID example is what can happen when outside entities interfere with parenting.   And Tavistock was the only winner as a landlord in a transfer of existing jobs from Anaheim.  You and I do not benefit at all from this deal.

You don't really know that, do you?  As in, what benefit having those jobs relocated to Central Florida could mean for the growth of other higher wage creative industry jobs. 

Lest not forget that you and I do benefit if the presence of higher wage jobs brings in services that overlook low wage cities like Orlando.

I know you want those high rises downtown and those condos.  How are you going to get them if the major employers are largely creating entry wage positions?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

You don't really know that, do you?  As in, what benefit having those jobs relocated to Central Florida could mean for the growth of other higher wage creative industry jobs. 

Lest not forget that you and I do benefit if the presence of higher wage jobs brings in services that overlook low wage cities like Orlando.

I know you want those high rises downtown and those condos.  How are you going to get them if the major employers are largely creating entry wage positions?

what I meant is Disney isn't hiring for those position; they are merely moving them over. it's not like a factory that's opening up. 

As for the other spillover, yes as consumers with $$$ and the hope is yes on the other stuff.  For example, Port Canaveral opened up a Container Port yet they haven't really landed a major cargo carrier to use it, and it's been at least 5-7 years.  Maybe Disney wanted to move to Lake Nona b/c of KPM&G.  Maybe b/c of the Medical City offerings; maybe b/c of Tavistock's reputation and Lake Nona's name since Medical City opened.  So Disney coming here is a result of the Tavistock marketing of the development; but it goes both ways; every new business helps snag new ones; so, yes, that benefit as well.

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

what I meant is Disney isn't hiring for those position; they are merely moving them over. it's not like a factory that's opening up. 

Disney will likely have to hire quite a bit for these positions. Corporate relocations usually result in turnover. Moving across the entire country, especially with politics here far from matching politics over there, is likely to result in many positions being replaced with new faces. Infact, that is a benefit to the relocation, you can trim some of the seasoned overpaid employees and get some fresh blood for less.

16 hours ago, aent said:

Disney will likely have to hire quite a bit for these positions. Corporate relocations usually result in turnover. Moving across the entire country, especially with politics here far from matching politics over there, is likely to result in many positions being replaced with new faces. Infact, that is a benefit to the relocation, you can trim some of the seasoned overpaid employees and get some fresh blood for less.

well what they said was that they were planning to move like 2,000 employees or whatever the number was. everything else besides this is conjecture.  you are right, but I am going on what their intent is.  But you are assuming that some employees will quit versus just staying put, or, will be fired if they refuse to move.  And, if Disney is not hiring or expanding with those offices, then they're keeping the ones they are keeping in CA, and  will merely split operations with Lake Nona.  They pretty much stated as much from the get go.  Hence, no new hires of any meaningful amount.  right?

In the end of the day.....Disney is a for profit corporation. This move obviously made sense for them monetarily...... either via less taxes or just being closer to their main theme park hub. With that being said, I fully expect them to make the move after the theatrics by both sides. Under the dark of night, Disney will make the move and Desantis will  make adjustments to have some sort of a district similar to Reedy Creek where it is essentially the same. In 2 years, all the moves would be in place........ but Joe Public getting their news from MSNBC, CNN and Fox news (left and right) would have no clue that all this ultimately went down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

In the end of the day.....Disney is a for profit corporation. This move obviously made sense for them monetarily...... either via less taxes or just being closer to their main theme park hub. With that being said, I fully expect them to make the move after the theatrics by both sides. Under the dark of night, Disney will make the move and Desantis will  make adjustments to have some sort of a district similar to Reedy Creek where it is essentially the same. In 2 years, all the moves would be in place........ but Joe Public getting their news from MSNBC, CNN and Fox news (left and right) would have no clue that all this ultimately went down. 

I totally agree.  My take was that this was all for show.  there was an article talking about how his donations spiked after that RCID thing.  Follow the money...right?  left vs right...the dog and pony show...except some on these boards can't or won't acknowledge that some things do take place behind closed doors.  they don't even acknowledge that doors exist in those cases.  all good.

Apparently, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Universal has a new division, “Universal Parks and Experiences”, which sounds a lot like “Disney Parks,Experiences and Products”.

Poor Uni, always following in the shadow of the Mouse…

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202209/9141/

From Theme Park Insider 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Universal has a new division, “Universal Parks and Experiences”, which sounds a lot like “Disney Parks,Experiences and Products”.

Poor Uni, always following in the shadow of the Mouse…

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202209/9141/

From Theme Park Insider 

Considering Universal's entire parks division was already headquarted in Orlando long before Disney decided to relocate their division whose concept Universal is now copying -- but not before everyone quit because none of them wanted to live here -- I'll gladly take the imitation in this case. 

• Thanks 1

Looking at how theme parks would change if  NBCUniversal makes a bid for Warner Bros. Discovery:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202209/9143/

From Theme Park Insider 

Before any of that happens, the Warner/Discovery studios would have to be purchased. Just how likely is that?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-discovery-has-bigger-problems-than-its-dc-search-1235221804/

From The Hollywood Reporter 

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, spenser1058 said:

Looking at how theme parks would change if  NBCUniversal makes a bid for Warner Bros. Discovery:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202209/9143/

From Theme Park Insider 

Before any of that happens, the Warner/Discovery studios would have to be purchased. Just how likely is that?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-discovery-has-bigger-problems-than-its-dc-search-1235221804/

From The Hollywood Reporter 

Universal should have a "Horror Land."  Buy WB and then use the IP for Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St, and IT (b/c of the clown aspect), and The Conjuring and make "rides" on each.  Then, make an Austin Powers ride.  But Austin would have had to have been done 15 years ago to make it relevant.  But Friday 13th and Nightmare are timeless.

Not being able to get DC Comics is not good...

• Like 1

Remember, Disney/FOX went through under TFG. Uni/Warner would have a tougher time getting past the Biden administration due to stepped-up antitrust scrutiny.

Not to mention, Warner is a mess right now. It may have been one of the worst mergers since… Warner/AOL. Given Comcast’s business sense is pretty savvy, I won’t be surprised if they pass. Otoh, if they want a level playing field with The Mouse, they need another acquisition. Only problem is, there aren’t many studios left to buy.

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Remember, Disney/FOX went through under TFG. Uni/Warner would have a tougher time getting past the Biden administration due to stepped-up antitrust scrutiny.

Not to mention, Warner is a mess right now. It may have been one of the worst mergers since… Warner/AOL. Given Comcast’s business sense is pretty savvy, I won’t be surprised if they pass. Otoh, if they want a level playing field with The Mouse, they need another acquisition. Only problem is, there aren’t many studios left to buy.

I would do a deal with Paramount and snag the Star Trek IP...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

If they get Trek and add it to Epic, I’LL become a Uni fanboy!

It has always seemed nearly impossible to me that the Trek IP is still untapped in the industry (excluding the minor temporary things that have popped up over the years, e.g. Star Trek: The Experience in Vegas.) Especially now, in this current golden era of Trek - it's the lowest hanging fruit out there. 

• Like 2