Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/09/universal-studios-more-sleeve-compete-disney-ab1/

more on Universal looking into Warner Bros.

Do we know the extent of Universal's rights to Marvel IP?  Is there a limitation to IOA or to existing rides?  I am assuming that there is a limitation since there isn't a Marvel Lands II at Epic.

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/everything-we-know-about-the-donkey-kong-mine-cart-coaster-scene-by-scene-rumors/

Donkey Kong Mine Cart

Edited by jrs2

12 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/09/universal-studios-more-sleeve-compete-disney-ab1/

more on Universal looking into Warner Bros.

Do we know the extent of Universal's rights to Marvel IP?  Is there a limitation to IOA or to existing rides?  I am assuming that there is a limitation since there isn't a Marvel Lands II at Epic.

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/everything-we-know-about-the-donkey-kong-mine-cart-coaster-scene-by-scene-rumors/

Donkey Kong Mine Cart

My understanding is they just have the rights in parks east of the Mississippi in the US. Maybe it only applied to parks already in existence when the agreement was signed but I haven’t heard that part.

By the same token, Disney can’t use Marvel characters in existence when the agreement was made but are free to use Marvel characters since then (hence, “Guardians of the Galaxy” at Epcot).They also can’t use the Marvel name so you won’t see it on a sign there.

Edited by spenser1058

46 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

My understanding is they just have the rights in parks east of the Mississippi in the US. Maybe it only applied to parks already in existence when the agreement was signed but I haven’t heard that part.

By the same token, Disney can’t use Marvel characters in existence when the agreement was made but are free to use Marvel characters since then (hence, “Guardians of the Galaxy” at Epcot).They also can’t use the Marvel name so you won’t see it on a sign there.

wow. I had no idea about that.  That means Universal can have a ride based on Capt America, X-Men, etc.

Spider-Man was the premier ride at IOA when it opened, with Hulk  and Dr. Doom Fear Fall and that Cyclotron ride or something like that.  

10 hours ago, jrs2 said:

wow. I had no idea about that.  That means Universal can have a ride based on Capt America, X-Men, etc.

Spider-Man was the premier ride at IOA when it opened, with Hulk  and Dr. Doom Fear Fall and that Cyclotron ride or something like that.  

In theory this is possible, so long as as they find the space for a new attraction in the existing land at IOA, but in practice, Disney could still make things more difficult than needed. Universal have the east coast park rights to most of the Marvel characters (meaning Disney does not), but there's a clause in the contract that's commonly interpreted to mean Marvel's (Disney's) authorization is required for any major changes or additions, lest the case go to legal arbitration to decide if any denial of such authorization is reasonable,  which Universal could decide is more trouble than it's worth. I've heard rumblings that Disney is pretty salty over the fact that Universal refuses to sell the rights back to them, and so they would likely not miss the chance to poke their thumb in Universal's eye. There were strong rumors of a new Iron Man ride coming a few years ago, but whether this got scrapped in favor of financing the new park or due to Disney's meddling is anyone's guess. 

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 1

Did people see the video on DK Mine Cart ride?  It will have a real track and secondary track and the mine cart will "jump" over broken sections of track, much like in Indiana Jones Temple of Doom movie.  That is the coolest ride element I've seen yet.  This may be cooler than Super Mario Kart ride.

It looks like Spider-Man and Transformers have the same tech.  And, Kong and Fast & Furious have the same tech (or at least those rides are the most similar to each other).  Harry Potter Gringots and Mummy may be the most similar as well.

• Like 1

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/disney-world-has-a-villainous-answer-for-universal-epic-universe

So, WDW is planning to challenge Epic Universe with lands based on Moana, Encanto, Coco, etc.  To each his own, but that's not anything I would rush to go see.  Star Wars and Avatar were it for me; Avatar b/c of the unique environment they had to create, not because of the story.

But Moana etc., may be popular with the kiddies, but that's the extent of it...at least for now.  But I am glad Disney is still thinking of spending $$$ in Orlando.

I think that both Disney and Universal need to focus on creating a "venue."  EPCOT is a great venue (World Showcase).  MK has it's spots.  I think Epic U will have a "venue" appeal in its center portion.

Victoria & Albert’s, Central Florida’s premier dining location, has reopened at long last and of course Scott J has the details:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/6161-victoria-and-alberts-2022

Disney has a patent application for a ride process which will streamline boarding and debarking for guests who need additional time:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202209/9149/

From Theme Park Insider 

41 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/disney-world-has-a-villainous-answer-for-universal-epic-universe

So, WDW is planning to challenge Epic Universe with lands based on Moana, Encanto, Coco, etc.  To each his own, but that's not anything I would rush to go see.  Star Wars and Avatar were it for me; Avatar b/c of the unique environment they had to create, not because of the story.

But Moana etc., may be popular with the kiddies, but that's the extent of it...at least for now.  But I am glad Disney is still thinking of spending $$$ in Orlando.

I think that both Disney and Universal need to focus on creating a "venue."  EPCOT is a great venue (World Showcase).  MK has it's spots.  I think Epic U will have a "venue" appeal in its center portion.

It would seem silly for Disney not to capitalize on their extremely popular recent animated motion pictures in the theme parks.  The MK “Western expansion” has been floated for decades, with some very concrete plans drafted in the era of Marc Davis. MK is in desperate need of the additional capacity.

And if the Avatar sequels do as well as is expected, don’t count out an announcement for a 3rd ride on the Pandora expansion parcel.

6 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

It would seem silly for Disney not to capitalize on their extremely popular recent animated motion pictures in the theme parks.  The MK “Western expansion” has been floated for decades, with some very concrete plans drafted in the era of Marc Davis. MK is in desperate need of the additional capacity.

And if the Avatar sequels do as well as is expected, don’t count out an announcement for a 3rd ride on the Pandora expansion parcel.

I’m ready for the Western River Expedition!

Orlando Free Fall to be torn down after Tyre Sampson’s death
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-tyre-sampson-orlando-free-fall-ride-taken-down-20221006-5qipuooggbcgtjrugpm3oifxmu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

‘In a statement Thursday, Slingshot CEO Ritchie Armstrong said the company decided to tear down the ride after hearing those calls. “We are devastated by Tyre’s death. We have listened to the wishes of Tyre’s family and the community, and have made the decision to take down the FreeFall,” Armstrong said in a statement. “In addition, Orlando Slingshot will honor Tyre and his legacy in the classroom and on the football field by creating a scholarship in his name.”’

Edited by spenser1058

29 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Orlando Free Fall to be torn down after Tyre Sampson’s death
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-tyre-sampson-orlando-free-fall-ride-taken-down-20221006-5qipuooggbcgtjrugpm3oifxmu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

‘In a statement Thursday, Slingshot CEO Ritchie Armstrong said the company decided to tear down the ride after hearing those calls. “We are devastated by Tyre’s death. We have listened to the wishes of Tyre’s family and the community, and have made the decision to take down the FreeFall,” Armstrong said in a statement. “In addition, Orlando Slingshot will honor Tyre and his legacy in the classroom and on the football field by creating a scholarship in his name.”’

Wow!  The last thing I would have expected them to do.

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Wow!  The last thing I would have expected them to do.

I am stunned.  his death was tragic.  I really don't know the right thing to do here.

I would put up a different tower ride. you can't just condemn the parcel b/c of a death.  people die in car wrecks every day due to negligence as happened here.  the ride was fine; the employee was at fault.  I wonder if the State got back to them about the oversight proposal they were bouncing around with.

46 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I am stunned.  his death was tragic.  I really don't know the right thing to do here.

I would put up a different tower ride. you can't just condemn the parcel b/c of a death.  people die in car wrecks every day due to negligence as happened here.  the ride was fine; the employee was at fault.  I wonder if the State got back to them about the oversight proposal they were bouncing around with.

Which employee are we blaming? Because last I heard, the investigation had found that the restraints had been purposely tampered with to allow larger guests than the ride would otherwise accommodate safely. That sort of thing is on whoever oversees the ride, not its lowly operators, who get paid minimum wage to check if a light is on. You could argue the ops' training was substandard, but that also falls on whoever is making the big money on-site. But at the end of the day, if the company is responsible for this tragedy rather than it being a freak accident or rider error, then closing the ride was basically the only option they had. You also have to remember that this whole thing makes Icon Park look bad, and they don't even own or operate the ride. I'm sure they've been breathing down Slingshot Group's neck since it happened. 

“Tyre’s death is a tragedy that we will never forget. As the landlord, ICON Park welcomes and appreciates Orlando Slingshot’s decision to take down the ride,” said ICON Park.

17 minutes ago, F-L-A said:

Which employee are we blaming? Because last I heard, the investigation had found that the restraints had been purposely tampered with to allow larger guests than the ride would otherwise accommodate safely. That sort of thing is on whoever oversees the ride, not its lowly operators, who get paid minimum wage to check if a light is on. You could argue the ops' training was substandard, but that also falls on whoever is making the big money on-site. But at the end of the day, if the company is responsible for this tragedy rather than it being a freak accident or rider error, then closing the ride was basically the only option they had. You also have to remember that this whole thing makes Icon Park look bad, and they don't even own or operate the ride. I'm sure they've been breathing down Slingshot Group's neck since it happened. 

Correct.  Which is why I assumed the ride was going to be fixed and a new operator was going to operate the ride with more oversight.  Since ICON owns the property it sits on and ICON's most prominent feature can be seen in the background of every news shot, I can 100% see ICON putting a lot of pressure on the operator to the point where they were like the heck with it.

29 minutes ago, F-L-A said:

that's the last thing I heard as well.  What, you think that if an owner/manager readjusted the seat they should close it versus if the lowly employee did it?  either way the company is ultimately responsible, right?

Are you read for some.... PICKLEBALL!!!

"America’s fastest-growing sport is a new concept, dubbed Camp Pickle, looking for its first site in metro Orlando." "A 2022 report from the Sports & Fitness Industry Association shows that pickleball — a mash-up of tennis, ping-pong and badminton — grew almost 40% between 2019 and 2021, making it the nation's fastest-growing sport."

"Locations will have a "nostalgic Americana" theme and a "rustic, 1940s summer camp" aesthetic. Camp Pickle figures to have several options for food and beverages in a food hall-style layout that also features a scratch kitchen, as well as other amenities and spaces for different activities that emphasize activation, engagement and socialization."

"The first location to open likely will be in Huntsville, Alabama, which should open in early 2024, though a flagship site in Centennial, Colorado, also may be the first to welcome the public."

A CF site has not been named but would need about 5 acres.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/10/05/camp-pickle-pickleball-orlando-robert-thompson-new.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=8#cxrecs_s

I guess I missed out when I invested in Hacky Sack Land...

On 10/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, jrs2 said:

that's the last thing I heard as well.  What, you think that if an owner/manager readjusted the seat they should close it versus if the lowly employee did it?  either way the company is ultimately responsible, right?

Ride ops don't get to make those decisions. They merely operate the ride. The manager would need to tell a technician to do that sort of thing. 

On 10/8/2022 at 1:52 AM, F-L-A said:

Ride ops don't get to make those decisions. They merely operate the ride. The manager would need to tell a technician to do that sort of thing. 

that would mean that a manager was there that night at that time to readjust that particular seat for the decedent, correct?  otherwise, if it had been done some time prior, that some small kid would have just fallen through b/c it wasn't tight enough like the others, I assume.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

that would mean that a manager was there that night at that time to readjust that particular seat for the decedent, correct?  otherwise, if it had been done some time prior, that some small kid would have just fallen through b/c it wasn't tight enough like the others, I assume.

Noooo it was max adjustment.  If someone was smaller, it would have just kept clicking that person in.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, codypet said:

Noooo it was max adjustment.  If someone was smaller, it would have just kept clicking that person in.

ah, so, if the seat wasn't meant for someone of his dimensions regardless, even though they "clicked" it tight on him?  Did the "click locks" fail or did they just not click it tight on him?  Did Dept of Ag ever come out with a report on why he dislodged from the seat?

Edited by jrs2

No it was never meant for someone his size per the manufacturer.   The sensor was tampered on the max side so it'd registered as clicked in and give the green light.    That said I had friends who rode this days before his death that were concerned about the lack of redundant seat belts that you normally are used to seeing on these kids of restraints.