Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I would gladly trade up the LBV Resort & Spa for these. even Blue Heron.

As for the CVB meeting I alluded to, it was nothing more than a meeting with one developer of a big project near the OCCC. He pitched the project to them is all.

As for the other hotels nearby, they have already booked rooms for the Peabody expansion for 2008, so they are expecting it to open by then. THe big Hilton by 2009. THey talk of 26 month turnaround time to open the doors from groundbreaking.

I just stayed in a converted condotel in Miami this weekend. The first time at this hotel 2 years ago, we could get a top floor room. It has since been converted into a condotel and most of the units actually have permanant residents. This time around, the best room was all the way down on the 6th floor.

Just as the Lexington is being converted into a condotel on Colonial, I wouldn't be surprised if many of these condotels have permanent residents. The Landmark may sell a lot of units to tourists that are staying at some of the high end hotels around Disney and decide to buy into a condotel such as this. Those buildings look great and will help put Orlando architecture on the map.

Wondering from that statement here-do you mean you didn't like the fact that it converted? Just wondering.....

I also hope Landmark stays true to what they want to do. If something like that comes in around that location I think it'll really spark a small wave of high end resorts down the 192 cooridor which could hopefully change the look and mindset in the area. With Legacy Resort coming in down the road, they've mentioned RCI coming in and managing a high end hotel / condo hotel in that resort. The area needs a boost with a name like that. I do think a large project like this would have problems getting off the ground though.

Wondering from that statement here-do you mean you didn't like the fact that it converted? Just wondering.....

Well, I had a building obstructing my view of Biscayne Bay this time. That was upsetting, but what I am trying to convey is that the fact that it is condotel should not doom the project.

don't know if I mentioned it before, but regarding BELZ/ Prime off of I-Drive, as of last week or so, they have already emptied out either Mall 1 or Mall 2 of just about all of its stores (the northern most mall, not the one in the shape of a cross.

Meaning, they have already started moving on the transformation of Belz mall (Prime outlets).

So, the plan is to make it open air, like Chelsea Orlando Premium Outlets; make it look nice, connect Mall 1 and Mall 2 into one building of over 1M sq. ft., and add 80 more storefronts.

this is one of the few vestiges (is that a real word?) of old ORL. I will gladly see it go and be transformed.

Also--- Millenia-- there is a huge development at the corner of Oakridge and Millenia Blvd.-- what is it, apts? it abuts the TNPK.

Edited by JRS1

don't know if I mentioned it before, but regarding BELZ/ Prime off of I-Drive, as of last week or so, they have already emptied out either Mall 1 or Mall 2 of just about all of its stores (the northern most mall, not the one in the shape of a cross.

Meaning, they have already started moving on the transformation of Belz mall (Prime outlets).

So, the plan is to make it open air, like Chelsea Orlando Premium Outlets; make it look nice, connect Mall 1 and Mall 2 into one building of over 1M sq. ft., and add 80 more storefronts.

this is one of the few vestiges (is that a real word?) of old ORL. I will gladly see it go and be transformed.

Also--- Millenia-- there is a huge development at the corner of Oakridge and Millenia Blvd.-- what is it, apts? it abuts the TNPK.

Yeah, they're apartments. Called The Place at Millenia.

Across Millenia Blvd. from this new development, horseshoeing behind the 7-11, they're about to start work on additional apartments. Fountains at Millenia.

Edited by i_cre8

Does anyone know if the I-4 overpass will be done as part of this construction? I saw it in the MPB staff report.

535 and Osceola Pkwy, SE corner. That's where I saw a huge tract of clearing for that large development by-- I think Miller-- Rob Miller? THere was a billboard up but it was dark and I couldn't see what it said.

Pointe Orlando-- their new valet driveway is operational. still doing renovations.

The Pointe- pretty fence ads are up along Universal-- can't tell what's going on on site since last time.

LBV Res. & Spa-- Tower #3 is topped off at 15 stories. Tower #1, 8 stories, has a retail mini mart in one of its retail parlors at its base. It's lined with retail parlors waiting for tenants. It's all lit up at night and looks good for the outlet center and for the overall development. I'm going to say it again-- they took a crappy retail outlet isolated from everything and really improved that area with this project. Tower #3 looks massive. I wonder just how many other towers they actually end up building.

Millenia-- that new office bldg, Duke Realty's HQ, is perhaps the prettiest bldg. off of I-4 in metro ORL outside of DT and the Majesty.

I went to see a movie at Pointe Orlando today and saw some of the (slowly moving) rennovations. I must say though, what they've done thus far are very nice. The removal of all the confusing and narrow upper level catwalks is a good move for this plaza. I cannot wait to visit when it is done. Anyone know a time frame?

Also, while walking around I thought of something I'd never before--- Pointe Orlando would be a great station for a train, whether I-Drive specific or city-wide. The way it's designed lends itself to a great station destination.

I went to see a movie at Pointe Orlando today and saw some of the (slowly moving) rennovations. I must say though, what they've done thus far are very nice. The removal of all the confusing and narrow upper level catwalks is a good move for this plaza. I cannot wait to visit when it is done. Anyone know a time frame?

Also, while walking around I thought of something I'd never before--- Pointe Orlando would be a great station for a train, whether I-Drive specific or city-wide. The way it's designed lends itself to a great station destination.

good point about it making a good station. when this was built, it was really busy. FAO was a madhouse; Graham Central was hopping at night, and the arcade bldg was new (now demolished). I like its verticality. It also needs direct access to a hotel if possible. THe former Westin I-Drive was supposed to be just north of it.

Is CityMark and Colony Lakes considered a single project? They are listed as a single item on the September MPB Agenda. The reason I ask is that in a article on the downtown EB Development project Maganolia Circle it says that EB has two other Orlando area projects in the works. I know about CityMark and if Colony Lakes is part of that then there is another one out there.

Edited by cwetteland

For those of you that remember and those that didn't know, here is an interesting article about the upscale mall that was supposed to have been built on Disney property.

believe it or not, I had the idea a few years back of Disney sponsoring like the world's largest themed mall built down there somewhere, to blow the doors off of every other mall in existence. had no idea about this Helmut Jahn proposal. I still think they should do something like that.

believe it or not, I had the idea a few years back of Disney sponsoring like the world's largest themed mall built down there somewhere, to blow the doors off of every other mall in existence. had no idea about this Helmut Jahn proposal. I still think they should do something like that.

I do agree with the idea myself-shopping is one of the main attractions of Orlando for all the tourists that come here. That would do wonders for the Davenport/Kissimmee/192 area. BUT, for a few years now I've been told and heard of a mall or shopping center being built off Old Lake Wilson directly north of Reunion Resort, which I heard was actually Ginn's land. Don't know if he sold it off, still owns it, or just owns the land and will have others come in and develop on it, I'm just guessing here. In the last year or so they actually finalized the exit of the 429 that leads directly into Reunion. Just east of that exit is a ton of land that was proposed as the area for this shopping center. I think ultimately that would be a better location because of Reunion and the Exit off I-4 and the 429. There's a ton of land around Reunion that is still able to be developed. Besides, 192 is already jam packed with shopping. Sooner or later I think the Florida Mall is ganna have to rethink their future. That mall is always packed with tourists, but with better shopping centers being built closer to the attractions, I think the future there is very bleek.

Edited by SMR17